Kelp Paddy Tips

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by SaltH20Angler, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Hello fellow BD'ers... I have been fishing pretty regularly this summer and have come across plenty of nice paddies offshore. Regrettably, I havent got much off them. At first I thought the paddies werent holding and while that could have been true, I am finding it hard to believe that nobody was home on all the paddies we fished. After a bit of thought, I realized that I am probably not fishing the paddies the best way I can. Hence, I am looking for advice from some of you guys who certainly seem to do better than I do on the kelp.

Here is how we typically fish paddies. Once we find one offshore (dont typically stop at a paddy unless several miles out),we go into nuetral to find which way the drift is going. Then set up on the right side about 100 yards away and put the motor in idle. We will toss cut bait, and chum live bait (dines usually) as we head near the paddy. We will flyline dines in the rod holder with the clicker on and toss a variety of irons, colt sniper, flat falls etc with a second rod. We will cast on either side of the paddy so as not to snag it and try to stay about 100 feet away when we pass it. Usually leave the motor running in nuetral. We will continue the drift about 100 yards past then slow troll the dines when we reset and drift a second time similar to the first drift. All summer we did this with nothing to show from off the paddies.

I would really appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Maybe we need to turn off the motor. Maybe we need to stay further away from the paddy. Any good advice is greatly appreciated. Tight lines fellas!!!

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Get up wind of it about 30-50 yards (this distance depends on your drift speed), point being don't run the patty over, and don't come sliding in on it without control. Set yourself upwind with time to get your rod baited and out before you get past the paddy. Try your best to keep your drift ~30-50+ feet off it (do you best to not drift right into it, if you are going to, kick your motor in forward or reverse gently to miss it). Cast baits of your stern or on the down wind side of your boat and drift past it. Keep your eyes on meter. If you have bait, fish baits with the rods in your hands. Don't waste chum on a patty until you at least know there is fish on it. Often times even if they are hungry they will be visible.

SaltH20Angler likes this.
  3. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Location is important. Where are you out of? It's necessary to understand that most of them up north DON'T hold anything other than bait. It's rare to find one with fish up north. It's down south that they are more likely to hold fish.

Temperature is important as well, you can try in 65 degree water all you want, they'll almost always be empty.

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Oh yeah, it also helps to find a kelp loaded with fish. On a good one you can't do anything wrong!

5. SaltH20Angler

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    We fish So Cal, mostly out of San Diego (Mission Bay and Shelter Island) but also fish Dana Point up to San Pedro if heading to Catalina. Really appreciate the response.

6. SaltH20Angler

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    This is really good to know. I was thinking that I had to be doing something wrong. I was thinking a possibility could be that I wasnt spending enough time fishing it before taking off.

7. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    Sometimes paddies have way too much bait on them and no matter what you do you'll never get bit, especially if what you're offering them doesn't match what they're keyed in on, or your bait is getting lost in the crowd. If that's the case stay a decent distance off the paddy on the chance that a fish or 2 might be cruising the outside perimeter looking for an easy snack or is on its way to the paddy. Work the water column too. Flyline, 1/2 oz. weight, 2 oz. weight etc... Time of day factors in also. Has it been an early or afternoon bite? Patience is a virtue. A few weeks ago we found a decent sized paddy right away, in the right area, with a shitload of great meter marks at 35-60 feet, with lots of bait under it. Worked it for 20 minutes or so for no bites, fish were probably well fed by the time we got there. It's easy to catch a hungry fish, try getting one that just left the buffet. We were thinking "Hell, there's got to be more paddies just like this around here with fish willing to bite". Bzzzzzzz.... wrong answer, after we left that paddy we found 1 more dry one in 8 hours of searching. I'm pretty sure if we would've worked the 1st one like it was the only one, we would have eventually pulled fish off of it. Hindsight is 20/20.

8. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    are you seeing fish on your FF/meter?

9. SaltH20Angler

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Great info man. I know a few of em had a lot of bait holding underneath but we didnt know that until the last drift that was a little too close. As far as marks on the meter, Im not so sure that the meter shows us whats under the paddy which is usually a lil ways away. Looking back, I dont recall seeing marks on the meter at any paddy really. What percentage give or take would you say you get bit on an offshore paddy at any offshore spot out of SD...say the 182 or 181?

10. SaltH20Angler

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    No, not that I can recall. I'm doing a lot of things recommended on this thread and would like to think Im a pretty good fisherman, but at the same time I think...how could apprx. 40 paddies all be dry. I gotta be doing something wrong. Lol.

This Saturday (9/9), we stopped on a paddy on the way to Catalina, birds were on it, it was 6x6, we had fresh dines, it looked great... el skunko! Ha!!

11. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    It could be the case you never found one with fish.

The reason I say this, is that many of the times, when they're holding fish, you should be able to see the fish right below your boat, or even jump out of the water.

I have a hard time believing that you could've gone through that many of them and not seen a single fish ever, unless you never found one with fish.

12. Degowop

Degowop Newbie

Name:
    Na
    Boat:
    Na
    Don't just rely on paddies. Dolphin and birds are productive as well. The meter is your best friend. If he tells you a paddy is dry, move on, and quick. Best part of a private boar is you can move quick, and cover lots of water compared to the party boats.

13. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    I have only been doing this for barely two seasons and let me tell you: most paddies ARE dry. Especially if you are not fishing it at 5am to guarantee the early risers haven't already been there.

The few paddies I've seen with fish (the kind you want) rushed my bait/lure the moment it hit the water. But like I said. Most of them are dry.

14. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    I believe most of the answers thus far and have been solid. I'll throw in my two cents. When we fish paddies, we will set up to drift 20 yards or so off the paddy. Since most PB'ers don't have a large bait capacity, we will limit ourselves to 1 or two baits per paddy until we are bit. If we aren't bit fairly soon, we will move on and find another one. With the yellows you can often see them swimming near the paddy and dodos will often be seen jumping in the general vicinity. If we know there are fish and they aren't biting, we will slow troll around the paddy and that will more often than not, generate a bite. Don't waste a lot of time on a paddy that isn't producing....go find another! One last thing worth mentioning, you seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at these fish. I would keep it simple. If you're going to fish bait, do it the right way and hold the rod in free spool. Do not fish in clicker mode with the rod in a holder. You'll miss too many chances that way. Dodos will often drop a bait if they fell resistance on the initial strike. Further, they often pick up the bait and swim toward the boat and you will never know you're bit if you're waiting for the clicker to go off. Lastly, slow trolling a live bait is extremely effective is the fish aren't biting....make this method your friend!! Good luck!!!

Shewillbemine and DMcD like this.