widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Well, I just finished working 10 days straight and decided it was time to take a day off and do some fishing. Due to several factors, I didn't launch the yak until about 8:30am. As with my last report, the launch conditions were less than ideal ( 2'-4' surf) but after waiting about 15 minutes to time the sets, I finally made my move. On the first attempt, I nearly got dumped like the last time, but was able to get it together. I got soaked, but no sand in my britches. :D

I paddled straight out from the beach, with the wind coming from the north. I saw a party boat out beyond the kelp and considered paddling out there to see what they were catching, but decided to just find a nice jungle and soak the line. If those guys where catching WSB or YT, I'll kick myself later. It started out really slow, but after about a half hour, I finally got bit. Great fight, I knew it would be a big calico. Got it to the boat to find I had made 2 PB's... 1. largest calico and 2. largest fish on the yak. Caught about an 18" monsta. Dreaming of fish tacos tonight, I stuffed it down one of the hatches. fished around for another hour or so for not and realized I had drifted a 1/4 - 1/2 mile south and decided to head back up north for a final drift.

Upon finding a reasonable spot, I decided to rig up my heavier rod with some of the 9" ,MC swimmies and drift that as I cast the lighter rig. I left the big stick in free with the clicker on and about 10 minutes later... click,click,click...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! I'm pulling and tugging on this beast for a good 5 minutes as it must have been buried in the kelp. I was using 20# and did not want to risk losing it. At last I see color and bring an even bigger calico to the boat. Not much longer, but way fatter. This was around noon so I decided to call it a day. I guess I timed the landing right, as it was smooth as could be.

Fish tacos tonight !!!

BTW this is the first time I've ever kept anything that I've caught on the yak. I don't want to hear any catch and release fanatics giving me shit. I've released plenty.

Attachments

• DSCF5334.JPG
    DSCF5334.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF5337.JPG
    DSCF5337.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
When you make tacos do you grill or fry them? Skin on or off if fried?

I fry mine.

Make a dredge:
mix Flour, paprika, cayanne, salt

make an egg wash:
beat 2-3 eggs

dip fillets (no skin or bones) into dredge and coat thoroughly. dip into egg wash then into frying pan w/ Extra Virgin olive oil at medium/high. Only flip one time and your done.

Great with cabbage/coleslaw or w/e else is around the house.

This was last week, just had some sour cream, black beans, hot sauce, and lettuce.

283948_181009381961888_100001584833556_476916_4144088_n.jpg

edit: I fry my corn tortillas in a little corn oil. You can 'shape' them into taco shells this way. I think they make better tacos.

Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
The surf has been rumbling the last few days. Its all about the timing as u stated. The cattle boat was on yt......

Upvote 0

PLUNKER

Almost A Member
Apr 25, 2005
San Diego
Name
Curt
Boat
26 blackman billfisher
looks like you did better than the fleet today, Fresh Calico is hard to beat, nice report

Upvote 0

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
After you drag 'em through the egg mixture, try tossing them in some Panko bread crumbs. Turns out really crispy.

Penko is good too. I save my penko for shrimp though..mmm

Also, try beer battering them. A beer batter taco really isn't that bad. I had beer battered calico and shrimp last night, so friggin good.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Looks like the Fish finder works.
icon12.gif
Nice catch

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140