Keep my teak or go with Starboard or something else?

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
Been stuck on deciding whether or not to keep my teak (lots of maintenance and gets weather really quickly as my boat is outside and uncovered.
I saw some people replaced the teak with Starboard, what do you guys think? any recommendations on where I can get replacement panels made.
The teak is all along the back and side gunnels, 1 small teak cover for the front where the anchor rope and stuff is and another cover about 4'x3' over a storage where I have lifejackets and stuff.
Right now I have only used Teak oil and it seems to last not even a week before it starts looking all faded again.

boat is a 22.5 center console.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
There are more permanent solutions for the teak I would have to think. Can you not clear coat or lacquer the stuff?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
There are more permanent solutions for the teak I would have to think. Can you not clear coat or lacquer the stuff?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I was looking at the teak stain but then I was thinking maybe go newer and replace all the teak, maybe make it look not so dated.

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
Not sure if it matters in your application, but starboard is one of the few materials that 5200 doesn't form a good bond with...ask me how I know.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Start by cleaning the teak well, try chemical teak cleaner or light sanding, be very generous with the teak oil, saturate the wood again and again, properly done you should get at the very least a season.
The other solution would be to go to faux teak.
I covered most of my teak with faux teak and holly veneer.

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
Start by cleaning the teak well, try chemical teak cleaner or light sanding, be very generous with the teak oil, saturate the wood again and again, properly done you should get at the very least a season.
The other solution would be to go to faux teak.
I covered most of my teak with faux teak and holly veneer.

That looks good! did you have somewhere make the faux teak pieces and holly veneer for you custom? I think that idea might be good. I'm not a huge fan of the teak and I like how yours came out. looks good.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Imo exposed wood on a boat = bad

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    I would keep the teak over starboard, but if you don't keep the teak up, it will be an eyesore. In that case, the best thing to do is paint the teak. I believe awlgrip makes some paint specifically for that purpose. Lots of older sportfishers have teak caps from bow to stern, and lots of those get painted a high gloss white. Way better looking than starboard.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Sounds like you need more oil. Soak the teak. If it's dry it will take a lot of oil deep in the grain.

I say keep the teak.

Reactions: oceanski
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    I lightly sand my rails and apply 1 coat of oil per day for 3 days once a year. Then I just do some touch up the rest of the year, then again I like the old school rails on the boat

IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1254.JPG

Upvote 0

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
    The Bight
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Anderson 22 - Slingshot
    You can do 100% Tung oil also. It takes a looooooooong time to dry but will leave almost a hard protective shell once done (a few coats is best) yet retains that teak oil look.

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    You need to clean the teak before you oil it. There's a product specifically for teak. It's a two part cleaning solution A and B. Forget the exact name, but WM carries it. It will take all the grey out of the wood. Then oil the crap out of it. Should last the season no problem.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Sand your teak. Brush your teak with a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part bleach and let dry a couple of times. Lightly sand again and wipe down with linseed oil or honey teak oil and let dry three times. Every once in a while just wipe some more oil on it and call it day. Teak is awesome boat wood.........Ap

Upvote 0