KEEP AN EYE OUT: Stolen & recovered boat, stolen fishing gear / Dana @ Mission Bay

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
UPDATED INFO & PHOTOS BELOW!

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...ng-gear-dana-mission-bay.668471/#post-4434471

Hey guys,
I know this may not be the correct place for posting this, but was hoping to get it in front of as many people's eyes as possible, since we should all keep an eye out for each other, regardless.

Just wanted to alert to a situation that occurred on Saturday, Sept 30, 2017, which includes stealing our boat, severely damaging/vandalizing the boat, stealing/off-loading items, and returning the boat back to it’s slip. Here is what we know as of most recent...

Our 29' Phoenix Sportfisher was broken into around 4:45am of the 30th in the Dana Hotel Marina of Mission Bay by way of breaching the cabin door with a crowbar. A boat neighbor of ours happened to have woken up around that time to use his head, and had noticed the running lights to our boat on, but nothing alerted him to that being odd, considering early AM is a normal time for us to leave the dock for weekly fishing trips. The suspect was able to figure out how to turn on our fuel lines and batteries in order to start the boat, and drove away from the dock at 4:57am (confirmed on hotel camera footage). From here, it is unknown where the boat was exactly taken for several hours. Lifeguard dispatch tower at the entrance to Quivera Basin has cameras, however, their cameras have been “down” for the past several weeks, according to our extensive attempts to obtain their footage, so that does not offer us any info on whether it was taken outside of the jetty. It is believed to have gone outside of the bay/jetty, based on the amount of fuel consumed among other clues. It is also believed that the boat made it’s way to Everingham’s bait barge, as their was a half-scoop of sardines (not macs) in the bait tank. Everingham is reviewing their cameras for what info/clues they may have, but we do not have those results back as of yet.

It is believed that the boat was tied up to another boat or dock or something, at which point the suspect off-loaded items from the boat. The positively-confirmed suspect was wearing flip-flops, however, there were boot prints all over the deck and gunnels, which lead us to believe that there was a second suspect involved, likely during the off-loading. Additionally, one of our dock lines was found attached to the starboard side of the boat (we dock on the port side, so there are never dock lines on the starboard side), which is believed to have been used to tie-up to the “off-loading” site.

The suspect(s) ransacked through every inch of the boat, from every hatch, motor compartment, storage compartment, drawer, etc., to find every single item we had in the boat, of which most were stolen. Cushions, hatches, and stuff he/they didn’t want were thrown all over the place. Additionally, in the process of doing so, removing stereos, VHF’s, power inverters, and other electronics, he/they took screwdrivers, pliers, and crowbars to the trim pieces and mountings in order to pull out the built-in stuff.

We also have good reasons and clues to believe that the boat was driven at high-RPMs & speed, which resulted in snapping the cooling fan belt on port engine. The coolant tank was found bone-dry, having spent through every drip of the oversized coolant tank and reservoir tanks. We don’t know how long the boat was driven at overheated temps on that port engine, but we are taking the boat out of the water this weekend, at which time we’ll replace the belt and coolant to test and perform leak-down tests, etc. in order to begin the diagnostics on what damage was done there (crossing fingers & hoping for the best).

Fast forward to what hotel/marina camera footage now confirms: at 9:48am, the boat is seen coming around the corner back to Dana Hotel Marina to be maneuvered back into the slip. The boat is seen coming in perpendicular to the dock (end-tie slip that allows parallel parking), hitting the dock with the bow, knocking over a dockbox, and then eventually straightening out to allow docking. The camera footage shows the suspect jumping down off the flybridge (the only helm of the boat) to the dock for tying off to the dock.

The same boat neighbor who saw the boat leave the slip in the early morning hours, heard the boat hit the dock, but still didn’t suspect anything odd, figuring that we had let someone use our boat or something (...???...), so he didn’t intervene still at this point. Several minutes later, the boat neighbor saw the suspect gathering some of his stuff, and walk away from the boat towards the entrance/exit of the dock, carrying a small cooler. On his route to the exit of the dock, the suspect loaded into a nearby dock cart some lobster hoops that were sitting behind another boat on our dock.

As the suspect reaches the very top of the dock to exit the dock gate, with his cooler in hand and the dock cart full of lobster hoops, he is stopped by our dockmaster who was just walking in to the marina to start his work day. At this time, our dockmaster had no knowledge of what had occurred to our boat over the past hours, but seeing a person he did not recognize on our dock prompted him to stop the suspect to inquire on what he was doing. The suspect stated he was working on a boat at the end of the dock for “The xxxx’s” (rattling off some last name and boat name). Our dockmaster told him there was no name of such on this dock or in the entire marina, and that he needed to leave the dock cart there. The suspect then said to the dockmaster, “I have the work order in my truck, I’ll go get it to show you.” At that point, the suspect walked away and down the public walkway path towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, where he disappears out of camera footage as he gets to the public restrooms and beyond.

The camera footage shows the dockmaster and suspect’s confrontation, and then the suspect very calmly walking towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, right in front of the hotel/marina cameras up-close, where we have the best visual photo of him (see below).

We received the phone call from the dockmaster minutes later, after he walked down the dock to see if anything seemed out of sort. He found our boat out of sorts, to say the least. 20 minutes later, we found our stripped boat, with one dock line holding it to the dock.

SDPD arrived on scene an hour later for their several hours of investigation, documenting, witness testimonies, and impounding blood swabs from the suspect. We have a police report on file, several detectives working with us, and beginning the insurance hell.

We are just now starting to sort through and inventory the stolen property, and it is not good.

Stolen items range from silly things like brass throttle control knobs to outrigger release clips & snubbers to transient fenders & dock lines, to electronics, stereos, speakers, power inverter, back-up VHFs, binoculars, back-up anchor & chain/rode, and then rods, reels, kill bag, a gaff, coolers.

For the sake of getting this tweaker off the streets, docks, and our boats, please spread this suspect photo out to your friends and if you have any leads, please contact me (pm or [email protected]), or SDPD Northern Division at (858) 552-1700.

SUSPECT DESCRIPTION: White male, 40-50’s, approx 6’0”, thin build, short grey & dark hair, mustache, scruffy facial hair, was wearing dirty jeans, H&M Landing t-shirt, flip flop’s. Pics below.

-Daniel Vachon, [email protected]
Boat: "Beverly Jean"

SUSPECT PIC #1:
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...ng-gear-dana-mission-bay.668471/#post-4434471
Suspect.jpg

SUSPECT PIC #2: Suspect close-up.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    So so sorry Daniel. Hope they catch this person. Clearly they need help on a lot of levels. Or at least a baseball bat to the melon.

Reactions: zd583
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    You may want to check the Chula Vista Marine swap meet next Saturday at the Marina

Reactions: Bottom Line
    Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    That's really sad...sure hope the catch him... hope you recover some of your stuff.

so this scumbag, must have knowledge of boats, found the keys, battery switches, fuel shuts , if the boat has them....then brought the boat back in daylight.... , and you mentioned one engine was toast, so did he come back on one engine ?
    sure hope you have insurance.....

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    I have been searching CL... nothing yet... but if and when...

Upvote 0

ironmike

ironmike
    Aug 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
    f__king assholes, thieves and disrespectful junkies!!:mad::Rambo_Throwing_Kniv I hope they left some ID evidence. Sorry, tough to see a sweet boat vandalized!:(

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    If someone had that much knowledge of the boat and brought it back to the same place, it makes one wonder if they knew the owner and his whereabouts. I would start there but as you say, this one is odd. Good luck with the investigation, that sucks. There were a few break ins last year around that marina as well, is it secure?

Reactions: milligan and gecsr1
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Crack pipe....it had to be carl

Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    I would guess that EB has surveillance cameras, its a retail business with lots of cash, gotta keepban eye on the shrinkage.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Sounds like an inshore job to me...whatever.
    Good clean pics of the perp...Im confident he will be caught.:smash:

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    After a lengthy discussion with me amigo Jaime Bondo about this thread we have come up with a con-s(piracy)clusion slash theory.
    1.Who,where and why did perp tie up with(on starboard side)with another boat.
    2.Answer-Who,Tijuana dope dealer(so much meth in TJ its like El Cajon in 1983).
    Where-Coronado islands to unload said over abundance of cheap dope in TJ.
    Why....uhh,why is he carrying a cooler?HELLO?

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I saw this on the news. I hope this asshole is caught. Has to be someone familiar with the boat from at least the outside. Good pictures. Maybe ask the landings and other marinas if the picture can be posted. I'll see if I cant get it in my marina (Sea World) Lets get him sent to jail!

ps I hate thieves !

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
    Mar 19, 2008
    Insane Diego, CA
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    30' Kona Star
    Hilarious.

Very vigilant dock neighbours and Dock Master you guys have there!

LOL

Rack up the item list - do it correctly and you should come out ahead.

This is what insurance is for.

Upvote 0
    Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    Wharf rat tweekers are a small compact group. For $100 bucks they would crawl over each other to id the guy. Show the photo around the old mobile homes parked near the marinas/piers. We all probably know someone who knows who he is.

Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Phoenix 29 SFX
    A second boat at our marina was hit as well, although the boat owner hadn't been to their boat in 2 weeks, so they don't know the exact day their break-in had occurred. Several rods were stolen from their boat, and the interior was rummaged through (owners assume they were looking for boat keys). Unknown if there was any relation to our incident, but it's still definitely happening at too fast of a rate...!

The Chubasco 2 was also hit over this past weekend:https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/chubasco-2-broken-in-to-mission-bay.668939/

Flyers with OUR known suspect's face have been posted at all of our local tackle shops and landings. We are also working on establishing a $2,500 reward for the info that leads to successful arrest of the suspect.

Keep the info flowing out to your friends so we can work together as a fishing community to nab these guys, or at the very least...work to keep our hard-earned personal boats & stuff safe from them!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Appreciate the continued heads up. Myself and a few friends have been curious...... did the surveillance show how he got onto the dock??

Also can anyone else answer this other question, since it has come up as topic of discussion at work and regarding this strange theft. Question is this.....

If a guy steals a boat and then brings it back before being caught, does this somehow lessen the charges he would face if being caught?

A couple different opinions/thoughts brewing on this at work recently...... anybody here no the answer to this?

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
    Jan 1, 2010
    sb 805
    Name
    hilltop
    Boat
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    great to ponder, but no. The "Hey I took your boat for a bit so I could steal everything of worth on it, and I will bring it back to where I stole it from once my deed is done" holds no legal water, except of stupidity and one of consequence. Once the boat was "stolen", the offense was committed. End of story and pile on all the "stealings" while this miscreant fucker had his field day, I hope they nail his ass quick and, Hard. Godspeed in this occurring to the OP.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Appreciate the continued heads up. Myself and a few friends have been curious...... did the surveillance show how he got onto the dock??

Also can anyone else answer this other question, since it has come up as topic of discussion at work and regarding this strange theft. Question is this.....

If a guy steals a boat and then brings it back before being caught, does this somehow lessen the charges he would face if being caught?

A couple different opinions/thoughts brewing on this at work recently...... anybody here no the answer to this?

The unknown fisherman:p:
    Unfortunately it is pretty easy to get on the docks down there. Just follow someone in. I do service work at the hyatt and have had people hold the gates open for me when I was walking by even though I was not going on the docks.

Upvote 0