Offshore KEEP AN EYE OUT: Stolen & recovered boat, stolen fishing gear / Dana @ Mission Bay/SUSPECT PHOTOS

PENN

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
A second boat at our marina was hit as well, although the boat owner hadn't been to their boat in 2 weeks, so they don't know the exact day their break-in had occurred. Several rods were stolen from their boat, and the interior was rummaged through (owners assume they were looking for boat keys). Unknown if there was any relation to our incident, but it's still definitely happening at too fast of a rate...!

The Chubasco 2 was also hit over this past weekend: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/chubasco-2-broken-in-to-mission-bay.668939/

Flyers with OUR known suspect's face have been posted at all of our local tackle shops and landings. We are also working on establishing a $2,500 reward for the info that leads to successful arrest of the suspect.

Keep the info flowing out to your friends so we can work together as a fishing community to nab these guys, or at the very least...work to keep our hard-earned personal boats & stuff safe from them!

Reactions: Daniel143
Upvote 0

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
UPDATED INFO & PHOTOS BELOW!

Hey guys,
I know this may not be the correct place for posting this, but was hoping to get it in front of as many people's eyes as possible, since we should all keep an eye out for each other, regardless.

Just wanted to alert to a situation that occurred on Saturday, Sept 30, 2017, which includes stealing our boat, severely damaging/vandalizing the boat, stealing/off-loading items, and returning the boat back to it’s slip. Here is what we know as of most recent...

Our 29' Phoenix Sportfisher was broken into around 4:45am of the 30th in the Dana Hotel Marina of Mission Bay by way of breaching the cabin door with a crowbar. A boat neighbor of ours happened to have woken up around that time to use his head, and had noticed the running lights to our boat on, but nothing alerted him to that being odd, considering early AM is a normal time for us to leave the dock for weekly fishing trips. The suspect was able to figure out how to turn on our fuel lines and batteries in order to start the boat, and drove away from the dock at 4:57am (confirmed on hotel camera footage). From here, it is unknown where the boat was exactly taken for several hours. Lifeguard dispatch tower at the entrance to Quivera Basin has cameras, however, their cameras have been “down” for the past several weeks, according to our extensive attempts to obtain their footage, so that does not offer us any info on whether it was taken outside of the jetty. It is believed to have gone outside of the bay/jetty, based on the amount of fuel consumed among other clues. It is also believed that the boat made it’s way to Everingham’s bait barge, as their was a half-scoop of sardines (not macs) in the bait tank. Everingham is reviewing their cameras for what info/clues they may have, but we do not have those results back as of yet.

It is believed that the boat was tied up to another boat or dock or something, at which point the suspect off-loaded items from the boat. The positively-confirmed suspect was wearing flip-flops, however, there were boot prints all over the deck and gunnels, which lead us to believe that there was a second suspect involved, likely during the off-loading. Additionally, one of our dock lines was found attached to the starboard side of the boat (we dock on the port side, so there are never dock lines on the starboard side), which is believed to have been used to tie-up to the “off-loading” site.

The suspect(s) ransacked through every inch of the boat, from every hatch, motor compartment, storage compartment, drawer, etc., to find every single item we had in the boat, of which most were stolen. Cushions, hatches, and stuff he/they didn’t want were thrown all over the place. Additionally, in the process of doing so, removing stereos, VHF’s, power inverters, and other electronics, he/they took screwdrivers, pliers, and crowbars to the trim pieces and mountings in order to pull out the built-in stuff.

We also have good reasons and clues to believe that the boat was driven at high-RPMs & speed, which resulted in snapping the cooling fan belt on port engine. The coolant tank was found bone-dry, having spent through every drip of the oversized coolant tank and reservoir tanks. We don’t know how long the boat was driven at overheated temps on that port engine, but we are taking the boat out of the water this weekend, at which time we’ll replace the belt and coolant to test and perform leak-down tests, etc. in order to begin the diagnostics on what damage was done there (crossing fingers & hoping for the best).

Fast forward to what hotel/marina camera footage now confirms: at 9:48am, the boat is seen coming around the corner back to Dana Hotel Marina to be maneuvered back into the slip. The boat is seen coming in perpendicular to the dock (end-tie slip that allows parallel parking), hitting the dock with the bow, knocking over a dockbox, and then eventually straightening out to allow docking. The camera footage shows the suspect jumping down off the flybridge (the only helm of the boat) to the dock for tying off to the dock.

The same boat neighbor who saw the boat leave the slip in the early morning hours, heard the boat hit the dock, but still didn’t suspect anything odd, figuring that we had let someone use our boat or something (...???...), so he didn’t intervene still at this point. Several minutes later, the boat neighbor saw the suspect gathering some of his stuff, and walk away from the boat towards the entrance/exit of the dock, carrying a small cooler. On his route to the exit of the dock, the suspect loaded into a nearby dock cart some lobster hoops that were sitting behind another boat on our dock.

As the suspect reaches the very top of the dock to exit the dock gate, with his cooler in hand and the dock cart full of lobster hoops, he is stopped by our dockmaster who was just walking in to the marina to start his work day. At this time, our dockmaster had no knowledge of what had occurred to our boat over the past hours, but seeing a person he did not recognize on our dock prompted him to stop the suspect to inquire on what he was doing. The suspect stated he was working on a boat at the end of the dock for “The xxxx’s” (rattling off some last name and boat name). Our dockmaster told him there was no name of such on this dock or in the entire marina, and that he needed to leave the dock cart there. The suspect then said to the dockmaster, “I have the work order in my truck, I’ll go get it to show you.” At that point, the suspect walked away and down the public walkway path towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, where he disappears out of camera footage as he gets to the public restrooms and beyond.

The camera footage shows the dockmaster and suspect’s confrontation, and then the suspect very calmly walking towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, right in front of the hotel/marina cameras up-close, where we have the best visual photo of him (see below).

We received the phone call from the dockmaster minutes later, after he walked down the dock to see if anything seemed out of sort. He found our boat out of sorts, to say the least. 20 minutes later, we found our stripped boat, with one dock line holding it to the dock.

SDPD arrived on scene an hour later for their several hours of investigation, documenting, witness testimonies, and impounding blood swabs from the suspect. We have a police report on file, several detectives working with us, and beginning the insurance hell.

We are just now starting to sort through and inventory the stolen property, and it is not good.

Stolen items range from silly things like brass throttle control knobs to outrigger release clips & snubbers to transient fenders & dock lines, to electronics, stereos, speakers, power inverter, back-up VHFs, binoculars, back-up anchor & chain/rode, and then rods, reels, kill bag, a gaff, coolers.

CHANNEL 10 NEWS STORY: http://www.10news.com/news/owner-says-boat-burglarized-feces-and-crack-pipe-left-behind

For the sake of getting this tweaker off the streets, docks, and our boats, please spread this suspect photo out to your friends and if you have any leads, please contact me (pm or [email protected]), or SDPD Northern Division at (858) 552-1700.

SUSPECT DESCRIPTION: White male, 40-50’s, approx 6’0”, thin build, short grey & dark hair, mustache, scruffy facial hair, was wearing dirty jeans, H&M Landing t-shirt, flip flop’s. Pics below.

-Daniel Vachon, [email protected]
Boat: "Beverly Jean"

SUSPECT PIC #1:
View attachment 872628

SUSPECT PIC #2: View attachment 872629

OUR BOAT "BEFORE": View attachment 872632

OUR BOAT "AFTER": View attachment 872646

Sad to hear, but with due diligence( which you did, not the lazy ass police) you will get this guy. Keep at and we will keep our eyes open. The minute the cops left the scene, they gave up. We will find him brother. did you at least use the half scoop of dines? Good news is that you got your boat and loved ones all safely. Im betting the police stuck their best unpaid intern on the case. Good luck brother!

Reactions: gecsr1
Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
By the look of him I bet hes wrenched on boats, maybe take that pic to some of the mobile mechanics that work around the area as most of them work
all the harbors up our coast. I will forward the pic to one I know.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
By the look of him I bet hes wrenched on boats, maybe take that pic to some of the mobile mechanics that work around the area as most of them work
all the harbors up our coast. I will forward the pic to one I know.
I am assuming that is what the cooler is for. To hide his tools.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I would take a couple of the photos to the local parole office and probation office and have them put on the briefing board. If the guy has been arrested in the past and released there is a good chance that one of the parole agents or probation officers might recognize him. They deal with a lot of the guys on a weekly basis and they get to know their faces pretty well.

Reactions: Shack and TYG
Upvote 0
S

Shack

White male, shaggy dirty blonde hair, six feet, 125 lbs, missing a few teeth, bad complexion, sunken eyes, baggy dirty jeans, and dirty white Dana Landing t-shirt.

"SUSPECT DESCRIPTION: White male, 40-50’s, approx 6’0”, thin build, short grey & dark hair, mustache, scruffy facial hair, was wearing dirty jeans, H&M Landing t-shirt, flip flop’s. Pics below."

Upvote 0

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
I don't know if it has been suggested yet, I would suspect he was probably a deckhand at one time or another or worked at a shipyard that is the route I would go. Craigslist, Letgo and offerup are sites I would check but watch a month down the road they don't sell it right away.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
"SUSPECT DESCRIPTION: White male, 40-50’s, approx 6’0”, thin build, short grey & dark hair, mustache, scruffy facial hair, was wearing dirty jeans, H&M Landing t-shirt, flip flop’s. Pics below."

No pic, but this sounds like Carl. LOL :D

Reactions: mrkrabs
Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
Bump.....just saw you on the news. Hope they get this guy.

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
10 News said it was a follow up to a story they aired a month ago.

Upvote 0

JRM

Sep 28, 2006
Pacific Beach
Name
Joe
Boat
31 Cabo
My fishing cockpit was robbed last year. There was a spat of fishing gear robberies in the MB marinas. This is the first whole boat story I've heard thanks for posting the info.. I'm gonna starting locking my boat to the dock. I know a real thief can cut the cable but maybe he will move on to an easier target. Our boats are our sanctuaries this hurts us all beyond being upset for your property loss/damage.

I'm hoping you come through it all ok with your boat repaired to your satisfaction. Sounds like your recovering as well as possible. At least no one was hurt. What if you happened down the dock with your son as this ass hole was stepping off...?

That's a point I'd bring up to the police, this guy is dangerous no doubt, just a matter of time till he hurts someone.

Reactions: dunfishin
Upvote 0

Clutchcargo

Jul 6, 2003
La Mesa
Visit site
Name
John
Boat
Strider
I walk my dog down there and by other marinas all of the time. I will keep an eye out. I know the homeless set up in the City park just around the corner towards the bridge. Anyway, that sucks. I see your boat all the time as I walk around Dana.

Upvote 0

Inthwtr

Apr 16, 2008
San Pedro
Name
Derek
Boat
Achillies 15
My wife is a CSI for Inglewood PD.

If you think it is possible there was anything left behind with DNA (cigarette butts, soda/beer cans, etc) let me know!

I could swear I have seen this piece of shit up here in San Pedro!

Reactions: momaguro
Upvote 0