Offshore KEEP AN EYE OUT: Stolen & recovered boat, stolen fishing gear / Dana @ Mission Bay/SUSPECT PHOTOS

PENN

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Very, very terrible. It seems I hear about theft and parking lot lizards quite frequently at the Dana Point launch ramp.. This guy was not fishing, it was all part of the ruse. Way less conspicuous to tear a boat apart while floating then in the slip. If I could afford a boat so big I could not trailer it, and I cannot, I still would not do it. Thieves piss me off.. Could you imagine going down to your sled and catching mr asshole in progress? The ensuing court costs, lawyers and most likely bail would defeat the purpose of boat ownership... Sorry for your loss....Ap

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
PHOTOS OF THE SUSPECT...please re-read the original post for clarified info, details, pics, and help us get the tweaker!

SUSPECT PIC #1:

Suspect close-up.jpg

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
If he touched that many things on the boat I assume the police got some prints?

Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
If he touched that many things on the boat I assume the police got some prints?

There were clean prints on a soda can left behind by him, along with blood that was swabbed and taken into evidence by the initial investigator. However, as we've been told, this isn't a murder, so the likelihood of them actually spending money and resources on running the prints or DNA testing the blood is pretty low. We are crossing our fingers that some connections that we have may be able to push this case for us though, so we'll see over the course of the next week or two... /-:

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Just saw this post in chit-chat.Didnt realize boat was named Beverly Jean.I remember seeing this boat saturday the 30th around 5pm ish...people sitting in chairs chillin...bottle of the hard stuff on the bait tank etc.I clearly remember thinking to myself,man...why werent these people out slaying yellowfin like we did... coulda...shoulda...woulda......aww,who am I kidding we got fuckin skunked.

Annnd theres my report...late,sorry.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
There were clean prints on a soda can left behind by him, along with blood that was swabbed and taken into evidence by the initial investigator. However, as we've been told, this isn't a murder, so the likelihood of them actually spending money and resources on running the prints or DNA testing the blood is pretty low. We are crossing our fingers that some connections that we have may be able to push this case for us though, so we'll see over the course of the next week or two... /-:
Since there have been multiple robberies over the years in mission bays dock areas you would think they would try running the prints.

Upvote 0

SCOTCH

Jul 3, 2007
Pacific Beach
Name
Geoff
Boat
290cc Everglades - "Ghost of the Navigator"
You should call the a local tv news organization. My buddy got his house broken into and literally was on 5 different local news channels filming in my buddies house. They would love to do a story on this. good chance someone will recognize the person in the photo. I'm on E dock and will keep a look out.

Last edited:
Reactions: farhangs
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just saw this post in chit-chat.Didnt realize boat was named Beverly Jean.I remember seeing this boat saturday the 30th around 5pm ish...people sitting in chairs chillin...bottle of the hard stuff on the bait tank etc.I clearly remember thinking to myself,man...why werent these people out slaying yellowfin like we did... coulda...shoulda...woulda......aww,who am I kidding we got fuckin skunked.

Ok, so this is interesting considering that the boat was said to be docked again at nearly 10am and it would seem due to the reports, that the suspect would have possibly left shortly after docking??

If c goats time and sighting is right, then were these people he saw on this boat also the ones involved in the crime? How many people did you see Bill? Does the guy in the recently added photo look like one of the ones you saw? All males or a mix?

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
PHOTOS OF THE SUSPECT...please re-read the original post for clarified info, details, pics, and help us get the tweaker!

SUSPECT PIC #1:

View attachment 872651

That's a really good picture to work with...... perfect, I will be passing this around...... thanks!!

Edit - I also just reread your original post. LOTS of great additional info added right now...... some really good helpful stuff. Anyone who hasn't read his latest info, make sure to refer back to the original first post, as there is now a ton of new information!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)

To bad he didn't leave behind a scale a bail of weed and some medicine bottles. The police would be all over it for being an unlicensed dispensary. Hell, the attorney general may have joined in too.

Reactions: IrieMitch and DVsd
Upvote 0

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
Pacific Beach
Name
David
Boat
Pequod
With all of the theft that occurs around the landings and docks it would be nice to see all of the said owners pool some of their resources together for security and investigations. Good luck with finding the guy responsible for the deed and hope he gets hammered, tarred and feathered for life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
White male, shaggy dirty blonde hair, six feet, 125 lbs, missing a few teeth, bad complexion, sunken eyes, baggy dirty jeans, and dirty white Dana Landing t-shirt.

Tweeker Hobo, darn harbors are loaded with them now that no one goes to jail.

Maybe he'll get his at the hands of another thief.

Upvote 0

jcs612

On Deck
Mar 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
JC
Boat
My Mojo
Damn shame! I feel like it was my boat that was stolen and pillaged. It could have been anyone of us. This scumbag needs to be cuffed and locked up, ASAP! I'll keep an eye out and my fingers crossed.

Sorry for your lost and damages, but wishing you the best possible outcome from this terrible situation.

Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX

Hey Bill, thanks for bringing in additional info, but that was us that you would have seen on Saturday at around 5pm. That was about an hour after the cops had left and we were sitting around talking with other marina friends, and yes - a cocktail was definitely in order after the course of that day. :hali_olutta:

We fished the day prior on a beautiful day...doing the only thing that my 8-year old son wanted to do for his birthday...take a day off school and FISH. All of that great day, not knowing that the very next day would sideline us from fishing for a few months. And....we keep pouring...:hali_olutta:

Keep any info coming...thanks guys!

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
That is one of the craziest stories I've ever heard, one of those "you can't make this shit up" stories.
Only other thing as nuts as this is when the Conception Dive Boat out of SB harbor was taken out for a joy ride by some homeless POS.
This guy knew his way around boats, he was able to get the gens started and the engines and untie and navigate the harbor AT NIGHT!
He manged to make it all the way around Pt. Conception/Arguello into Vandenburg, AT NIGHT! and proceeded to stack the boat on the rocks, grabbed his bike and got off and disappeared onto the bluffs where he was eventually found hiding in the bushes.
Your incident tops that though.
Good luck, hope ya get some of your gear back and your beautiful boat back in order!

Upvote 0

Damon S.

Almost A Member
Aug 25, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Damon
Boat
26' Shamrock
Sorry about your experience. It’s a horrible thing to go through! We were also victimized by tweekers when we had our boat in a slip and know how it feels:

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/urgent-message.508990/

I would take that picture to all the sport boats at the landings, and to the boatyards, to see if anybody recognizes the person. He’s definitely been around boats!

Reactions: ScaleyOne
Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
Sorry about your experience. It’s a horrible thing to go through! We were also victimized by tweekers when we had our boat in a slip and know how it feels:

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/urgent-message.508990/

I would take that picture to all the sport boats at the landings, and to the boatyards, to see if anybody recognizes the person. He’s definitely been around boats!
Wow, thanks for sharing that Damon! Are you still on D Dock?

I'm assuming that you already looked at the pics I posted of our dude...not the same guy as yours from a few years back, correct? Just confirming....

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
If someone catches the tweaker scum, someone should take him shark fishing!

This is the shit that's so frustrating with our "system"
Report as a murder! The thief's !

Reactions: polfishski
Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
I wouldn't mention any details about your plan....but you must know you told the world you will soon have all brand new gear. Your boat is in a known spot too. The TV showed your stern!

Hell....this guy may come back!

Get yourself a heck of a security plan. Good Luck. Sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0

TunaSniffer

Aug 17, 2012
Orange County
Name
Brett
Boat
Chase N Tails
He needs to be stuffed into a chum bag....and sent a drift. Hate to hear stories like this. All the best in working with insurance and getting this guy off he streets.

Upvote 0

Damon S.

Almost A Member
Aug 25, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Damon
Boat
26' Shamrock
Wow, thanks for sharing that Damon! Are you still on D Dock?

I'm assuming that you already looked at the pics I posted of our dude...not the same guy as yours from a few years back, correct? Just confirming....

We gave up our slip and put the boat on blocks back in January for much needed repairs and a new repower. We plan to relaunch the boat around March. Hopefully, a slip will open up for us on D dock by then. Other than the one bad experience, we’ve enjoyed out time there!

Unfortunately, there are a lot of tweakers out there. I’m sure you are dealing with somebody different than the youngsters that went on a “Bonnie and Clyde” style joy ride spree and decided to steal gear off our boat. Based on the photo you attached, I really get the sense that your guy has been around boats for years, and that he has worked on them one way or another. There were no surveillance cameras back when this happened to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0