Offshore KEEP AN EYE OUT: Stolen & recovered boat, stolen fishing gear / Dana @ Mission Bay/SUSPECT PHOTOS

PENN

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
UPDATED INFO & PHOTOS BELOW!

Hey guys,
I know this may not be the correct place for posting this, but was hoping to get it in front of as many people's eyes as possible, since we should all keep an eye out for each other, regardless.

Just wanted to alert to a situation that occurred on Saturday, Sept 30, 2017, which includes stealing our boat, severely damaging/vandalizing the boat, stealing/off-loading items, and returning the boat back to it’s slip. Here is what we know as of most recent...

Our 29' Phoenix Sportfisher was broken into around 4:45am of the 30th in the Dana Hotel Marina of Mission Bay by way of breaching the cabin door with a crowbar. A boat neighbor of ours happened to have woken up around that time to use his head, and had noticed the running lights to our boat on, but nothing alerted him to that being odd, considering early AM is a normal time for us to leave the dock for weekly fishing trips. The suspect was able to figure out how to turn on our fuel lines and batteries in order to start the boat, and drove away from the dock at 4:57am (confirmed on hotel camera footage). From here, it is unknown where the boat was exactly taken for several hours. Lifeguard dispatch tower at the entrance to Quivera Basin has cameras, however, their cameras have been “down” for the past several weeks, according to our extensive attempts to obtain their footage, so that does not offer us any info on whether it was taken outside of the jetty. It is believed to have gone outside of the bay/jetty, based on the amount of fuel consumed among other clues. It is also believed that the boat made it’s way to Everingham’s bait barge, as their was a half-scoop of sardines (not macs) in the bait tank. Everingham is reviewing their cameras for what info/clues they may have, but we do not have those results back as of yet.

It is believed that the boat was tied up to another boat or dock or something, at which point the suspect off-loaded items from the boat. The positively-confirmed suspect was wearing flip-flops, however, there were boot prints all over the deck and gunnels, which lead us to believe that there was a second suspect involved, likely during the off-loading. Additionally, one of our dock lines was found attached to the starboard side of the boat (we dock on the port side, so there are never dock lines on the starboard side), which is believed to have been used to tie-up to the “off-loading” site.

The suspect(s) ransacked through every inch of the boat, from every hatch, motor compartment, storage compartment, drawer, etc., to find every single item we had in the boat, of which most were stolen. Cushions, hatches, and stuff he/they didn’t want were thrown all over the place. Additionally, in the process of doing so, removing stereos, VHF’s, power inverters, and other electronics, he/they took screwdrivers, pliers, and crowbars to the trim pieces and mountings in order to pull out the built-in stuff.

We also have good reasons and clues to believe that the boat was driven at high-RPMs & speed, which resulted in snapping the cooling fan belt on port engine. The coolant tank was found bone-dry, having spent through every drip of the oversized coolant tank and reservoir tanks. We don’t know how long the boat was driven at overheated temps on that port engine, but we are taking the boat out of the water this weekend, at which time we’ll replace the belt and coolant to test and perform leak-down tests, etc. in order to begin the diagnostics on what damage was done there (crossing fingers & hoping for the best).

Fast forward to what hotel/marina camera footage now confirms: at 9:48am, the boat is seen coming around the corner back to Dana Hotel Marina to be maneuvered back into the slip. The boat is seen coming in perpendicular to the dock (end-tie slip that allows parallel parking), hitting the dock with the bow, knocking over a dockbox, and then eventually straightening out to allow docking. The camera footage shows the suspect jumping down off the flybridge (the only helm of the boat) to the dock for tying off to the dock.

The same boat neighbor who saw the boat leave the slip in the early morning hours, heard the boat hit the dock, but still didn’t suspect anything odd, figuring that we had let someone use our boat or something (...???...), so he didn’t intervene still at this point. Several minutes later, the boat neighbor saw the suspect gathering some of his stuff, and walk away from the boat towards the entrance/exit of the dock, carrying a small cooler. On his route to the exit of the dock, the suspect loaded into a nearby dock cart some lobster hoops that were sitting behind another boat on our dock.

As the suspect reaches the very top of the dock to exit the dock gate, with his cooler in hand and the dock cart full of lobster hoops, he is stopped by our dockmaster who was just walking in to the marina to start his work day. At this time, our dockmaster had no knowledge of what had occurred to our boat over the past hours, but seeing a person he did not recognize on our dock prompted him to stop the suspect to inquire on what he was doing. The suspect stated he was working on a boat at the end of the dock for “The xxxx’s” (rattling off some last name and boat name). Our dockmaster told him there was no name of such on this dock or in the entire marina, and that he needed to leave the dock cart there. The suspect then said to the dockmaster, “I have the work order in my truck, I’ll go get it to show you.” At that point, the suspect walked away and down the public walkway path towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, where he disappears out of camera footage as he gets to the public restrooms and beyond.

The camera footage shows the dockmaster and suspect’s confrontation, and then the suspect very calmly walking towards the Dana Landing launch ramp, right in front of the hotel/marina cameras up-close, where we have the best visual photo of him (see below).

We received the phone call from the dockmaster minutes later, after he walked down the dock to see if anything seemed out of sort. He found our boat out of sorts, to say the least. 20 minutes later, we found our stripped boat, with one dock line holding it to the dock.

SDPD arrived on scene an hour later for their several hours of investigation, documenting, witness testimonies, and impounding blood swabs from the suspect. We have a police report on file, several detectives working with us, and beginning the insurance hell.

We are just now starting to sort through and inventory the stolen property, and it is not good.

Stolen items range from silly things like brass throttle control knobs to outrigger release clips & snubbers to transient fenders & dock lines, to electronics, stereos, speakers, power inverter, back-up VHFs, binoculars, back-up anchor & chain/rode, and then rods, reels, kill bag, a gaff, coolers.

CHANNEL 10 NEWS STORY: http://www.10news.com/news/owner-says-boat-burglarized-feces-and-crack-pipe-left-behind

For the sake of getting this tweaker off the streets, docks, and our boats, please spread this suspect photo out to your friends and if you have any leads, please contact me (pm or [email protected]), or SDPD Northern Division at (858) 552-1700.

SUSPECT DESCRIPTION: White male, 40-50’s, approx 6’0”, thin build, short grey & dark hair, mustache, scruffy facial hair, was wearing dirty jeans, H&M Landing t-shirt, flip flop’s. Pics below.

-Daniel Vachon, [email protected]
Boat: "Beverly Jean"

SUSPECT PIC #1:
Suspect.jpg

SUSPECT PIC #2: Suspect close-up.jpg

OUR BOAT "BEFORE": 20245360_10210332389613682_520296460245931700_n.jpg

OUR BOAT "AFTER": 52848774103__B07B2BC9-64A5-4D6B-8B68-C3C31F665755.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Damn, that not only sucks, and is really odd.

Tweaker with boating and fishing experience.

Sorry. Hope they cathc them, and at the least, I hope your insurance is good.

Upvote 0

DVsd

May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX
Damn, that not only sucks, and is really odd.

Tweaker with boating and fishing experience.

Sorry. Hope they cathc them, and at the least, I hope your insurance is good.

Thanks Blackfish. Haha, yeah, I thought the same...definitely knew how to turn on our fuel lines, batteries, etc., but did not know how to park a boat, let alone tie a cleat hitch. (?)

I've also found it odd that a crackhead that needed to steal all this crap to get his next fix, was also willing to run over to Everingham and pay $35 for a half-scoop...(?)

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
The dump in the head will give DNA profile so hope police took sample. If not , have someone do it. US Custom's and all the other dept's seems to know where every boat is at all times so another slim chance they can tell you if it docked at any other locations to offload stuff. Did they take chart plotter/ fish finder with route/ etc to see where they went ? Any GPS device that tracks movement like a cell phone.

Post pic of the boat so if someone was out on the water and saw them, they can let you know what they know.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Speachless!!!

What a total weird deal this was!?!? The guy steals the boat from the slip at 4:30am on a Saturday, which is honestly not the best time for someone to steal a boat on a weekend when tuna and other exotics are still biting.......... but even stranger yet, the scumbag tweaker then brings the boat back to it's slip at around 10am?? Man how I wish this piece of work was caught when returning the boat!!

I feel for you...... what a truly lame and unbelievable thing to have to go through....... someone just completely and recklessly destroying your property without a care in the world.

I really badly want to see this fool caught, just to see what kind of person is so spun out of their mind to pull such a stunt!!

Good luck in your search for answers and finding some of your gear....... please keep us informed!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

headwierd

Aug 3, 2015
Dana Point
Name
Ed Gillest
Boat
18' seaswirl cuddy
I'm willing to bet this person will be spotted in the same marina in short order. People on meth rarely make sense, and do tend to repeat the same behaviors. If you have any physical descriptors of the subject, please share...height weight hair build skin, etc. I'm certain there are security cameras in place that may also be able to get vehicle description. If you have that info, DM me. I can pass it along to guys that work that area.

All you fellow fisherman keep your eyes peeled. This person will likely be around the marina again.

Reactions: ScaleyOne
Upvote 0

Graybird

Jul 13, 2010
Valley Center
Name
Greg
Boat
Skipjack 24 Xpert Wetness
Super Crazy!! Roadrunner has some good thoughts regarding the investigation. Starting to wonder about the Dana Landing neighborhood ( Recent hit and run events etc.) Sure you won't need to reward any BD guys if they see your stuff out there. Best reward would be to see the prep resist arrest with some aggressive San Diego PD guys who like to fish.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
You should talk to the bait dock guys.
I will keep an eye out on Los Angeles Craigslist

^^^^
This is a great idea!! Try and hit up the morning crew who possibly sold this turd bait that morning. If he went and got bait on a 29' sportfisher, then he almost surely had an accomplice or more with him.

I am in that area fairly often and don't live to far from there..... I'd love to hear a description of the said perp(s)......... I really wanna see this clown caught!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

summergames

Sep 3, 2009
San Diego/ CA / USA
Name
Greg
Boat
53 ft, Hatteras, Summer Games
Hey guys,
I know this may not be the correct place for posting this, but was hoping to get it in front of as many people's eyes as possible, since we should all keep an eye out for each other, regardless.

Just wanted to alert to a situation that occurred on Saturday, Sept 30, 2017. Our 29' Phoenix Sportfisher was broken into around 4:30am of the 30th in the Dana Hotel Marina of Mission Bay, taken from the slip, severely vandalized & damaged offshore (including engine damage), fished (yes, a half-scoop from Everingham MB in the bait tank still), items stolen/off-loaded from it, and then [oddly and very poorly] returned to our slip around 10am. The suspect was noticed as suspicious by others on our dock, and confronted, but the suspect left the dock and marina, along with thousands in stolen gear and misc. items from the boat at some point (possibly off loaded somewhere?). We have police report filed and a detective working the situation, but not expecting that to help much.

The entire boat was ransacked, ripped apart, maliciously vandalized & damaged, and tons of stuff stolen off it. In addition, there was a half-scoop of sardines in the bait tank left behind (WTF?), a broken glass crack pipe with burnt meth in it, and a large deuce left in the toilet. And lastly, it was run at WOT on one of the engines, which eventually threw a belt and spent every last drop of coolant from the tanks (not good!). Engine hasn't been tested yet until detectives are done, but possible damage there too.

Please keep an eye out for any items from this list that might appear cheaply priced on any of the usual online sites we visit or swap meets, etc. I am willing to offer cash rewards to people who successfully alert me to the items that I might be able to recoup, and/or the suspect as well! Thanks guys!

Here's the list, though we're still not sure the full extent until we go through and confirm everything:
  • Outrigger rigging, release clips, etc.
  • Boss BV6450 DVD player
  • 3 Black with red trimming soft tool bags full of tools and spare parts
  • Gold/brass control & shift lever knobs (seriously?)
  • White Marine grade stereo system and speakers with USB & Aux (Dual brand)
  • Kisae 1220 power inverter
  • Standard Horizon VHF radio (mounted version)
  • Standard Horizon VHF hand-held radio
  • Garmin GPSmap 4-series (backup gps)
  • Anchor and 50' chain, 200' rode
  • West Marine binoculars (7x50 coastal 200)
  • Leupold binoculars (7x50)
  • Mounted ACR GlobalFix iPRO EPIRB
  • Blue DaKine kill bag (6-ft)
  • Grey/blue Yeti Two 40qt soft cooler
  • Rods (fortunately, all of my good stuff was at home!!!)
    • Blue Avet MXL, grey/blue Seeker MGC 6'6" rod
    • Black Avet MXJ Raptor, Charkbait-wrapped Rainshadow
    • 2 Black/Gold Penn Spinfisher 6500's
    • 1 Daiwa BG 6500 spinning rod and reel with braid
    • 2 Black and white Lew's baitcaster rod/reel combos (bay fishing kid's rods)
    • Quantum spinning rod & reel (6'6" with cork handle) sabiki rod
They/he stole many, many other items and did other very odd things to the boat, but not worth listing here. Please keep an eye out for some of these items on forums, CL, swap meets, etc. PM or email me if you have any info. Thanks!

#1Daniel Vachon, A moment ago
How about a description of the suspect?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
How about a description of the suspect?

White male, shaggy dirty blonde hair, six feet, 125 lbs, missing a few teeth, bad complexion, sunken eyes, baggy dirty jeans, and dirty white Dana Landing t-shirt.

Reactions: crabdancer
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
My guess is that whoever stole/borrowed it wasnt interested in fishing, all be it bait on board.

I would guess that boat was used for an offshore meet and greet followed by transporting 'something/someone' illegal back into the US.

Plenty of cameras down at dana, what did the SD Lifeguard HD folks have to say who can review feed?

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
At least you have the boat,my sons boat was stolen from in front of his house July 3rd,still has not found!We had 45K into it.Tom

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Hey guys,

Just wanted to alert to a situation that occurred on Saturday, Sept 30, 2017. Our 29' Phoenix Sportfisher was broken into around 4:30am of the 30th in the Dana Hotel Marina of Mission Bay, taken from the slip, severely vandalized & damaged offshore (including engine damage), fished (yes, a half-scoop from Everingham MB in the bait tank still), items stolen/off-loaded from it, and then [oddly and very poorly] returned to our slip around 10am. The suspect was noticed as suspicious by others on our dock, and confronted, but the suspect left the dock and marina, along with thousands in stolen gear and misc. items from the boat at some point (possibly off loaded somewhere?). We have police report filed and a detective working the situation, but not expecting that to help much.

The entire boat was ransacked, ripped apart, maliciously vandalized & damaged, and tons of stuff stolen off it. In addition, there was a half-scoop of sardines in the bait tank left behind (WTF?), a broken glass crack pipe with burnt meth in it, and a large deuce left in the toilet. And lastly, it was run at WOT on one of the engines, which eventually threw a belt and spent every last drop of coolant from the tanks (not good!). Engine hasn't been tested yet until detectives are done, but possible damage there too.

Please keep an eye out for any items from this list that might appear cheaply priced on any of the usual online sites we visit or swap meets, etc. I am willing to offer cash rewards to people who successfully alert me to the items that I might be able to recoup, and/or the suspect as well! Thanks guys!

Here's the list, though we're still not sure the full extent until we go through and confirm everything:
  • Outrigger rigging, release clips, etc.
  • Boss BV6450 DVD player
  • 3 Black with red trimming soft tool bags full of tools and spare parts
  • Gold/brass control & shift lever knobs (seriously?)
  • White Marine grade stereo system and speakers with USB & Aux (Dual brand)
  • Kisae 1220 power inverter
  • Standard Horizon VHF radio (mounted version)
  • Standard Horizon VHF hand-held radio
  • Garmin GPSmap 4-series (backup gps)
  • Anchor and 50' chain, 200' rode
  • West Marine binoculars (7x50 coastal 200)
  • Leupold binoculars (7x50)
  • Mounted ACR GlobalFix iPRO EPIRB
  • Blue DaKine kill bag (6-ft)
  • Grey/blue Yeti Two 40qt soft cooler
  • Rods (fortunately, all of my good stuff was at home!!!)
    • Blue Avet MXL, grey/blue Seeker MGC 6'6" rod
    • Black Avet MXJ Raptor, Charkbait-wrapped Rainshadow
    • 2 Black/Gold Penn Spinfisher 6500's
    • 1 Daiwa BG 6500 spinning rod and reel with braid
    • 2 Black and white Lew's baitcaster rod/reel combos (bay fishing kid's rods)
    • Quantum spinning rod & reel (6'6" with cork handle) sabiki rod
They/he stole many, many other items and did other very odd things to the boat, but not worth listing here. Please keep an eye out for some of these items on forums, CL, swap meets, etc. PM or email me if you have any info. Thanks!

#1Daniel Vachon, A moment ago

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
The suspect was noticed as suspicious by others on our dock, and confronted, but the suspect left the dock and marina, along with thousands in stolen gear and misc. items from the boat at some point (possibly off loaded somewhere?).

Hey Daniel....

I know you are getting slammed with questions and suggestions, but I really keep coming back to the quote above and just have to ask.

If this person was noticed as suspicious by others, then that means there was more then one person who allegedly saw this suspect...... right? And since others saw this person as being suspicious to the point of confronting him or her, then again I have to ask, why didn't they take it a step further and maybe take a pic, or take note of what vehicle this person was going too and jotting down the license and description of vehicle, or better yet, another pic (nearly everyone carries a cell phone these days.

The amount of stuff you list that was taken off the boat is pretty substantial and bulky & heavy..... it almost surely had to have been offloaded onto a vehicle by a few trips? None of those who noticed this suspicious person and confronted them decided to call the police to let them look into it a little more??

Don't take any of this wrong....... I'm bumming for you man, but at the same time trying to learn and get some answers, so that maybe myself and others will act or think a little different if we see a similar situation take place.

By the sounds of things, it surely seems like there would be a pretty good description of this person(s).

I can only speak for myself, but honestly, I might just get more satisfaction and stoke out of catching a lowly snake like this over a 200lb local BFT........... Ok, I said almost LOL

Seriously though....... please keep us informed and shoot us any pics or more info that could help us help you catch this fool! You have alot of eyes and ears here...... and alot of us are in that area often...... feed us some more info please.

Reactions: REPO
Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Dirt bag tweakers....it's bad enough they broke in and stole stuff, but taking the boat out and damaging it would really piss me off. Hopefully they get caught for this and more and get long prison sentences. I will keep an eye out for the stolen gear.

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
This piece of shit knows you knows your habits and knew your boat . How did he start the motor. The guys at the bait dock has had to of seen him before, how else would have he known where to get bait , Go there and ask them if they remember him soon as possible and the boat he was on ., This guy knows boats he has to be close , and to leave a meth pipe on the boat what a stupid azz .If police do not take dna samples when they ck it out and run on the data base . For sure this guy has a record bug them to do it sure your ins will pay for everything , who is your ins co, fill a police report yet . Im really hoping this isint an ins scam right . Good luck bait guys today for questions to start. B

Upvote 0

lucky 100

"Swordfish Searcher"
Aug 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Captain O
Boat
Reel Caliente
Sorry to hear about the loss ! This is a strange one, how do people see him on the doc, confront him and dont call the harbor police or follow him to the lot for vehicle ID information ?? I hope this wasn't a inside job on the doc ?? Did you tell anyone in the marina that you were going to be out of town !! Good luck finding this scum bag !!

Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
Santa Monica
mysite.verizon.net
Name
Joe
Boat
19' Home Built
[QUOTE="Tweaker with boating and fishing experience.[/QUOTE]

I have heard that there are lots of Tweakers working/have worked in the commercial and sportfishing industry. Take any description of the subject to the local landings with a reward. Would not be surprised if you get a hit.

Upvote 0