Kayak or skiff?

Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
Ok guys, I'm looking for my first fishing platform. Mostly for kelp beds and bay. Question I have is this... If I'm going to spend $2k-$3k on a kayak, would it be at all more beneficial to just pick up an aluminum skiff?

Just starting to browse around at hobie pa 12 (ill transport via roof rack) or a 14-16' which I can trailer from my suv. Any suggestions? I've spent my life fishing on boats and a few times on a kayak, just starting to want my own vessel.

Upvote 0

MoMo Fish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 27, 2010
Ventura County
Name
Brooklyn!
If you want to fish kelp beds, just remember the last time you saw a skiff in the middle of an open kelp...

And if your on a budget, then kayak all the way.. I know a lot of boaters and kayakers and the ones that fish more days by far are the kayakers..

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Hmmmm. I started on a yak, moved up to a skiff. Fished more.Easier to hoop.
5 nets on the bow of a yak was tricky.
Drier. More storage.
Couple nice aluminum skiffs w 20HP four strokes up here. Around 4K.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Mostly depends on you. Kayaks are more stealthy for fishing seabass and can be launched almost anywhere fairly quickly. Boats allow for more movement, space and typically you stay dry. Also gives you more range in where to go as it no longer requires muscle power to change spots. Downside is a skiff usually requires a trailer and more space to store it.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Get the skiff. You are ready...

Reactions: Mo Betta
Upvote 0

Tandem Assassin

Night Stalker
Jun 28, 2005
Earth
Name
Tonto Hanglow
Boat
"Two Can Chew"
Had a kayak for 3 year and caught a lot of fish. Bought a 17' center console and I never thought of my kayak again. I can go 30-35 miles out (depending on weather), chase moving fish,hit multiple spots quickly, and stay dry. Nothing wrong with a kayak - they catch big fish. I just really enjoy my skiff. Watch Craigslist and search AZ. I found a 1999 17' boat with 100 hours on it and never been in the salt water - stole it....

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Aluminum/Livingston skiff really expands your options a lot. Yak is pretty limited and gets old in the cold months. It could be for you, try both!

Upvote 0

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
I started with an old 14' aluminum skiff I bought from Dana Landing when they were changing their rental fleet. I spent my college years fishing San Diego Bay mostly and logging thousands of fish. When I got a job I went to a 23' SeaCraft twin 115' and that became the standard. Never wanted to fight fish in the prone position on a kayak or surf in at the end of a long day. Kayakers do catch a lot of big fish though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Get Both...I love my kayaks...but I sure caught a lot of fish out of the skiff last summer !
IMG_52431.JPG

Jim / Saba Slayer

Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Get a "Blow boat" as the Iceman calls em...paddle, peddle, or sail...!

P1210228.JPG

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2011
United States
Name
Chris L
Boat
When I get one...
Thanks everyone. I can see the benefits of each but i think ill be looking into a skiff. I think it would be easier to manage as I can park it on the street (I don't have a garage or storage for a yak).

I know this isn't the place for it, but I'm always looking to catch a ride with anyone fishing San Diego. At least until I find my own boat.

Upvote 0

WhaleScat

Jan 1, 2010
Cypress
Name
Ted
Boat
17' Boston Whaler
I bought an Outback at Fred Hall this year and have already been out on a handful of trips. My Whaler is stuck in restoration purgatory, I had to get another option to get on the water.
When my skiff was up and running, I didn't get out nearly as often as I wanted.

I think you would be happy with both options, just depends on if you have the storage space for a trailer boat.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Been there, done that. All of it. For me the kayak was just too limited, I progressed through three of them up to a PA14 thinking it was the bomb. Well let's see, there's La Jolla, and of course La Jolla, and then there is always La Jolla. Ón the upside there is NOTHING so cool as being out on a yak, you are just floatsom, it's a whole zen experience on the water. Up in Cambria I got checked out by a GWS, yea I had to change my shorts but it was COOL ! When the whales are coming through you can have some awesome encounters, and of course the stealth and ability to maneuver through the kelp can't be beat. In the end though, for me, I just missed the thrill of a 50 wide screaming so I bought another skiff like I started with years ago. As said above, BOTH would be the best choice :)

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
both.

get a kayak first and see how crowded and limited your options are. Enjoy the easy setup and low cost. big fish.

The buy a skiff 19feet, Fish the lslands. fish the 9. watch all you money and time go down the drain, but you are a in the open ocean. You will enjoy both.

Buy a yak from Iceman Andy. He will set you straight.

Upvote 0

Ryan Hansen

Apr 18, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Ryan Hansen
Boat
Future Beach Cayman 124 (Modified Tons)
Ok guys, I'm looking for my first fishing platform. Mostly for kelp beds and bay. Question I have is this... If I'm going to spend $2k-$3k on a kayak, would it be at all more beneficial to just pick up an aluminum skiff?

Just starting to browse around at hobie pa 12 (ill transport via roof rack) or a 14-16' which I can trailer from my suv. Any suggestions? I've spent my life fishing on boats and a few times on a kayak, just starting to want my own vessel.
It all really depends on your choice. If you like fishing with a challenge then get a kayak because you can only fit so much gear in it or on it until you sink or cant fit anymore. But if you are a fisherman that likes to have a lot of space and take to much stuff then go with the skiff.

Upvote 0