Kayak Ling and Rockfish spots in Central California?

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by SBBCC, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm not a kayak dude but being based out of Santa Barbara I'd think your options were many. Between Santa Barbara and Morro Bay are much of the best rock fishing known in California, with many record fish being taken in the area around San Luis Obispo, and out of Morro Bay. All along the coast, and especially next to the Marine Protection Areas - though be careful not to go into them - should be productive.

That said, this region is also known for bad weather, especially around Point Conception. So I'd be very careful and pick my days going out on a kayak.

Junglepeanut likes this.
  2. tj805

tj805 Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
    I think the fishing is better in Santa Barbra than morro .
    But that's just my humble opinion .
    The few guys I know that go fish down there do really well.
    Plus with a yak the inshore stuff is way easier .
    As for the coast leffingwell is a good place to start.
    Watch the weather and stay safe.
    I wouldn't use 65 ib braid but that's just me .
    15 or 20 ib mono is all that's needed.
    Most of my inshore stuff has 12 ib test on it.

3. tj805

tj805 Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:

Yea I don't think of it like that .
    I just use what works for me.
    Try it or don't try it .
    I could care less .

4. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I would love to see you break 60 lb braid on a kayak without flipping. And having caught 20 lb lings on 15 lb you probably should not talk about things you obviously do not know about.

Paddyman1 likes this.
  5. tj805

tj805 Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    The reason I use 12 or 15 ib line is becuse I use the same setups for live bait fishing for halibut.
    I've cought plenty of 15-25 ib lings on 15ib test.
    Also sparked tons of salmon and halibut on it.
    I mean In all honestly I don't see a guy breaking 65 ib braid in a kayak.
    I've lost a jig with 25 ib mono and had to drive the boat away form the jig to bust it off.

matta57 and makairaa like this.
  6. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I use the lighter line because it makes rockfish fun to catch.

7. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    One of my favorite setups is currently using 15 lb test line on a lighter rod. I've caught tons of big rockfish and lingcod on that setup for 20 years now. We fish along a kelp ledge all the time and use 15-20 lb test mono with no issues at all. We've caught big lings, giant reds, gophers, etc along rock structures and have had no problems.

Simply put, you do not need 60 lb line to fish rockfish. I'm not sure why you're so adamant that people HAVE to fish heavy line for rockfish. If you want to use it that is your choice. But there are many ways to catch fish. Our way to catch rockfish is 1-4oz lead heads on light tackle and we've caught lots of big lings this way.

Junglepeanut and makairaa like this.
  8. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Ok, point for point.
    1) I use 20 lb braid which is thinner than 60 lb
    2) I use braid
    3) I use braid
    4) I use braid
    5) Original post was about kayak fishing and you can only pull so hard from a kayak (its called physics).
    6) As many of us have stated. WE HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS CATCHING 15 TO 25 LB LINGS ON 15 TO 20 LB. Fact not your opinion. Maybe you just need to learn how to use lighter gear?
    7) I use swimbaits, butterfly jigs, and similar jigs that have single hooks that are not on the bottom and do not snag as much.
    8) Since you asked for more. Fish are more FUN to catch on lighter gear.

9. CaliJeepHuntr

CaliJeepHuntr Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Superior huh? I think you're blinded to the fact that there are many different ways to catch fish successfully.

Wow! Braid is so awesome! How did we ever fish without it? Fishing shallow you don't have to use braid. You can, but it's not necessary.

I retrieve plenty of lures that get snagged on the bottom using light line. But the trick is not just pulling on it until it breaks free or snaps the line. You're smart, i'm sure you'll figure it out.

Jee, thanks for the drag lesson. You go ahead on using that great big 60 lb line so you can muscle those giant lings out of the rocks. I'll keep pulling up lings on my light rod.

Seems like you're just repeating yourself now. See point 5.

And on our boat we don't even have diamond bar jigs. Heck, we hardly use anything over 4 oz when fishing for rockfish. But I guess you missed that in all your enthusiasm to school me on the "superior way" to catch rockfish.

60 lb can horse out lings. No one is going to deny that. But you don't HAVE to use it. It's just another way to catch fish.

What's to challenge? Catch fish how you want. You want to use 60, great! We want to use 20. We will still catch just as many fish.

That's the way! That'll get people to believe you.

Yes, those lures work great in the deeper water for rockfish and lingcod.

Paddyman1 and makairaa like this.
  10. fishr

fishr Newbie

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    none
    If I'm targeting lings I usually use 50 lb spectra. Sometimes the ling bite will be slow and I'll target rockfish on the 20 lb spectra, squid strips on dropper loops. Turns out lings like squid strips too, I've probably caught as many lings on the rockfish setup as on the heavy duty rig. If a big one gets away, that's fishing, you get to tell the story of the giant ling that you almost landed. Try something, if it doesn't work, try something else. No need to get all worked up about it.

B.t.w. I've never lost a lure on my rockfish rig because I usually don't use lures to catch rockfish. But I've lost a few of em on the 50 lb spectra.

11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Funny - we used to surf Pt Sal State Beach just north of Vandenburg back in 1980-1981 and that water is some spooky shit no doubt. I'm pretty confident we were being watched from underneath while we sat in a cold line-up. Was glad to get out of that water.

12. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    No doubt, Phil. Someone needs to take a chill pill. Good grief.

13. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Good thing you are around to set me straight.

14. michaelfish

michaelfish Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Excalibur
    Try between Pierdas Blancas and Ragged Point. Watch out for the MPA, it's right around PB I believe.

15. Dark seas

Dark seas Newbie

Name:
    Dark Seas
    Boat:
    No
    Just use braid guys saying they use mono probably take off there mono after every trip because it's tore up from rocks and who cares about more fun people rock fish for the good eating.

16. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    I've broke 65# pound braid on my kayak and never flipped. It's very exciting stuff. Now I use 30# braid with a short piece of 30# fluorocarbon for the jigs and my light setup is 20 mono. Id really love to fish down in that san Simeon and lopez point area. Seems like a lot of nice rockfish down there. I had some friends get in a shatty spot a few years ago of big sur when the surf built up and they had to land in 6' surf. Good luck to ya buddy