Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
So, smooth the butt never new what happened...

Nice Butt!!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
OUTFREEKINSTANDING Greg, on all levels!

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Thanks all. Up till December of 2009 I was as antsy as the next guy when I saw color on a Halibut. But I happened to be fishing with Buttchaser back then when I hooked my then PB 25#er. He coached me through it step by step, and made the whole process simple (there are a few more steps to it on a kayak).

Fishdoctor- Kayak fishing is absolutely a blast for anything inshore. Check out my other YouTube videos under GregAndrew if you have any doubts.

NJ Mello- The GoPro with wide angle lens makes taking videos easy (not near as easy to edit and upload though lol).

Balboa29- All my Halibut come up like that since I started fishing with Valium laced bait. LOL

Sherm- Yep, soon as I lowered her back into the water she tried to flip me. But I was due for my weekly shower anyway. I try to always take care of business (game clip, dehook and gill pop) before I pull or take any weight off the gaff.

Cocktails- I offered Mike choice of filets when I got back to the barge, but he still had some in the freezer and said he wanted to catch his own anyway.

BJCanWeld- Depends on where and how you sink the gaff. I have never had a problem with a solid belly gaff.

Fishlawsophy- Yep that was me. I have caught lots of nice fish over the last couple years in the harbor, but nothing over 25#s (now the kelp beds are a different story).

Junyy- I never leave home with my fishing gear without my GoPro.

Killsfish- 65# braid to 28# leader. I could use less on the leader, but that is where I have found that I have to retie the least and the bait can still swim.

Upvote 0

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
very calm and cool about it. I guess thats why I don't have any halibut like that under my belt lol. great vid. thanks

Upvote 0

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat
Revo 13
Beautiful Fish, Dude.

Great video, also.

Geno and Donna

Upvote 0

fredsmountain

Shark Bait
Feb 17, 2011
Temecula, ca
Name
Fred
Boat
Yak
Awesome catch! How did you rig up your gopro. Did you construct something or buy a rig? I'm getting a gopro this xmas and looking for a good rig for the exact same thing.

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Here is my mount that seems to work pretty good for me. Since I always bring up camera worthy fish on my right side (dominant hand) as I was instructed, that is where I focused my camera. I used 1 1/4" pvc pipe and connectors but had to either heat and stretch or belt sand the pipe some to fit it into my flushmount. I have it slipped inside the flushmount just behind my seat and it sets up like this.
PA260402.jpg

Here is the complete unit by itself.
PA190399.jpg

Here are the pvc parts. An 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" connector, an 1 1/4" to 1" reducer, and a 1" terminal. I also added a terminal at the bottom to make the entire assembly float.
PA190395.jpg

I mounted the GoPro base to the flat end of the 1" terminal originally with only the sticky tape but now have added a couple of countersunk stainless screws.
PA190397.jpg

I set up the post of the camera with 2 knobs to allow me to adjust the camera in 2 directions.
PA190398.jpg

The fit on the PVC connectors is tight enough that I did not bother gluing in any but the bottom one. That allows me to use the same post for a light mount for night ops (check my avatar). Just remember to point the camera down more than you think, in order to get the yak-side video.

Upvote 0