Cashdaddy777

May 6, 2020
Thousand Oaks
Name
John Cashman
Boat
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Hi y’all,
I’m taking my kayak out this weekend. Ive been looking on Fishbrain maps and google maps to find some kelp beds along there and I’ve narrowed it down to 2 spots. A reef in Summerland and Carpenteria reef. Has anyone had any luck at either? If so any tips on shat setups to use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Tight Lines,
John

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Carp reef is real hit or miss. Spend a bit more on gas, go past Santa Barbara about 1/2 hour to Tajigas, it is the promised land

Reactions: Cashdaddy777

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Swami is right. Kelp bed off Santa Claus is not looking good. Was there last weekend. Seems to be dying off. Still kelp off the lighthouse and Mesa Lane but thats a paddle from the harbor. If your not gonna go north to Tajigas.
I'd fish the harbor for halibut shallow. From the bait dock to the pier. Mainly towards the pier.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
There was a thread on here a while back, about kayaking where there is a lot of whites. The guys reply was that he painted the bottom of his kayak to look like an orca.

Seems like a bullet proof plan.

Reactions: mhanson59hb

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
Within the last week..........8 were spotted by a Coast Guard helicopter off Padaro Lane. 2 were seen by a Lifeguard.......one large one and a smaller one. A woman was bit on the foot while swimming 50 yards off the shore, hospitalized and released. She said she only saw a "large triangular fin".

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
Swami is right. Kelp bed off Santa Claus is not looking good. Was there last weekend. Seems to be dying off. Still kelp off the lighthouse and Mesa Lane but thats a paddle from the harbor. If your not gonna go north to Tajigas.
I'd fish the harbor for halibut shallow. From the bait dock to the pier. Mainly towards the pier.
Great info there!!

Cashdaddy777

May 6, 2020
Thousand Oaks
Name
John Cashman
Boat
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Within the last week..........8 were spotted by a Coast Guard helicopter off Padaro Lane. 2 were seen by a Lifeguard.......one large one and a smaller one. A woman was bit on the foot while swimming 50 yards off the shore, hospitalized and released. She said she only saw a "large triangular fin".
Jeez louise!! Great timing

Jax Mikkelsen

Rosa Ranger
Sep 3, 2018
Santa Barbara
Name
Jax Mikkelsen
Boat
Degenerate 17'
Carp reef is real hit or miss. Spend a bit more on gas, go past Santa Barbara about 1/2 hour to Tajigas, it is the promised land
🤫🤫

But yeah, pretty much any kelp between gav and el cap will produce. Tajiguas is the best, just gonna have to carry your kayak down the hill

Cashdaddy777

May 6, 2020
Thousand Oaks
Name
John Cashman
Boat
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
🤫🤫

But yeah, pretty much any kelp between gav and el cap will produce. Tajiguas is the best, just gonna have to carry your kayak down the hill
Ive always driven by all that kelp on the 101 as a kid and I've always looked at the kelp thinking how much I wanna comb it with a kayak. Ill have to shoot out there some time!

Cashdaddy777

May 6, 2020
Thousand Oaks
Name
John Cashman
Boat
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Ended up going to a small kelp bed in Summerland. Caught 2 almost-legal calicos and an almost-legal sand bass. No sharks! But the reef didnt have as much kelp as I thought. Probably going to go a little more south next weekend and hit those kelp beds near Solimar