Kayak Fishing Dana Point, Redemption At The Beach | Bass & Butts!

NY4Reels!

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2009
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Glenn
Boat
Hobie ProAngler 12
This past Saturday started out pretty slow. I decided to head out to the Pipe and see if I could pick up a few Sand bass. It just wasn’t happening and the wind and swells started to pick up.

I decided to head back to the beach and see if I could find the usual suspects.

If you guys enjoy watching these fishing videos please consider subscribing to my channel and hitting the notification bell 😃

Hope you like the video!

Kayak Fishing Dana Point, Redemption At The Beach | Bass & Butts!

Reactions: jiggermyster

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Looking pretty busy out there! And you inadvertently demonstrated one of the best ways to hook halibut--just leave your setup in the rod holder. :D

One thing to keep in mind, if you catch short WSB they are likely to all be about that size so you might want to move away from that area a bit. WSB are kind of delicate and don't respond well to any handling. Halibut can be a different story, one drop they're toaster pastry-size and the next one might be legal. At the same time, if you find a legal one there are probably others around the same spot. Also, try not to net short halibut unless you have a very fine mesh or rubber mesh net--it honks up their tails (I didn't notice what type you were using).

OK enough boxing of soap. WTG and glad to see you get into them good! I sorta miss yakking.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: Saba Slayer

NY4Reels!

Jan 11, 2009
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Glenn
Boat
Hobie ProAngler 12
Thanks Omar

How’s fishing been for you lately? Any good fortune for you this season?🙂

I use a Promar Swing Landing net. I think it’s an LN-301 not sure but it’s made for kayak use. As you can see in the video it folds so that it doesn’t stick up and get in the way. It also has small rubber coated holes..

I pulled lots of halibut out of the surf this season but also lots of shorts as well as “many” juvenile WSB. It’s almost impossible to avoid them.
I caught them as far south to San Clemente and all the way past Salt Creek and even up to Newport.

They’re a bycatch all along the surf. It seems like no matter where you move to avoid them they will find you.
I do my best to handle them as briefly as possible and thankfully I haven’t had one go belly up or swim away lethargically. Actually they take off like rockets!

I understand the concern and I keep that in mind when inadvertently catching them. On a positive note there are so many juveniles that the outlook for WSB looks great!

on a side note I still haven’t managed to catch an adult just. I plans on going back out there tomorrow and hopefully find a few legal Butts.

good luck on your next outing