Kayak Fish Finders

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
2009 Hobie Outback
Recently bought a Hobie Outback for some more offshore and deeper water fishing. I previously fished harbors so a fish finder wasn’t necessary for my applications. However I now realize that it wouldn’t be a bad investment to look into one now. I have been trying to find some under $200. From what I’ve gathered the best one in the price range are the Humminbird Helix 5, Garmin striker 4, and the Lowrance hook2 4x. Anyone had any experience with these systems or recommendations?

J blair

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
I have the striker, it works well. I think on a kayak anything works.

AzNative

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 29, 2007
Leeward, HI
Name
Phil Bender
Boat
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II
Garmin 44CV so you can get the charts.

ReelHappyJim

Mar 2, 2020
Anaheim
Name
Jim Payne
Boat
🐠⬇
Stay away from Lowrance. The power connection has no locking mechanism. It comes loose and shuts the unit off. Because it wasn't turned off with the switch, it requires a soft reset every time to get it working. I'm chucking mine, just because I would like something that works. Has to have locking screw type connections like my Interphase.

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
Just remember in the yak to use corrosion block on your connectors.

NY4Reels!

Jan 11, 2009
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Glenn
Boat
Hobie ProAngler 12
Are you talking about the hoook2?

I have a ti and it’s a totally different and more secure connection.

ReelHappyJim

Mar 2, 2020
Anaheim
Name
Jim Payne
Boat
🐠⬇
Mine is a Hook 5. Can’t use any Corrosion Block either as it creates a bubble in the plug that just pushes the connector back out. I don’t know what they were thinking. It came with the Yak.

45user

Sep 20, 2009
Norwalk, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
'15 Hobie Outback
Long time lowrance user but now turning to garmin also
Hook2 series I’ve heard some bad reviews from actual users. Also the transducer that comes is not really suitable for ocean
I’m looking at garmin EchoMAP 44cv or 64cv at the moment

O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
I recently installed the Garmin Strike 4 using a wet well inside the hull that I made from polyethylene foam and so far it seems to work great. It was $179.00

Tail Chaser

Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
I used to do wet mount... But the difference is night and day. I will only have my transducer in the water. Mine is on an arm. Works great. Consider some of the used units! My "old" HDS Lowrance works great still. You'll get better transducers, and bigger screens.