Inshore Kayak Dorado

Oct 4, 2006
El cajon
Name
matt
Boat
24 Davis
Late post, but I thought I would share it though. Seeing all the counts of Dorado and hearing that they were in close last week I decided to target them last weekend in the kayak. I had heard that surfers were seeing them under their boards at Windnsea, and my friend got a couple of nice ones off a boat off Lj. Loaded up the kayak and the sail the fins and rods and all the gear as usual. Made the drive down from the mountains and launched with a few others early right at about grey light. Went to the pier and made a fine assortment of bait. Sardines, Spanish and greenies. It was a bit breezy so I put up the sail On the Hobie outback and headed due west of the pier. Peddling and sailing I made good time out to about 4 miles off the beach. Got into the trance of peddling and trolling a small Mac. Looking for patties and birds and bait and boils. Headed out past all the boats and kayaks and kept going. Saw a small patty circled it for nothing. Saw a small bit of tuna come up but they sank out real quick. Wind died, rolled the sail up and continued to peddle out and away. The water was deep blue/ purple and super warm. Thought I saw a kelp way out in the distance and started going toward it and then the Mac got hit and line started to peel off the reel. I picked up the Avet out of the holder and felt the braid come off the reel under my thumb. Waited about 7 secs and engaged the reel. I knew it was a dorado right away; the line started going sideways across the top of the water and the fish broke the surface and went into a wild jump well above my head. Fighting an acrobatic fish off the kayak it pretty cool! Several more jumps and then it went deep for a bit then came to the kayak where I made a nice eyeball gaff shot. I was stoked, my first Mahi of the kayak. Bled it, threw towel on it put in on the bow and started for the beach. 25 floro.
ADFA5416-6A8B-4505-A840-A572B33A40C4.jpeg
01 ring hook. Sounds like the bite has calmed down a bit but you never know what the day will bring. Have fun out there!

2343D70D-7CA5-4FC3-A56C-7AD827875492.jpeg

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Mission accomplished!

BADASS!

Upvote 0