Kauai Port Allen on 5/23 with Captain J

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by matt86m, May 27, 2013.

1. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Met up with Captain J (Jude) on Thursday for a 6 hour charter. Myself, a buddy from Texas and 4 others left port at 5:45 AM. Before we were even out of the harbor Jeff had lines in the water. 7 lines trolling a variety of lures. The Ono had been showing up in the morning so we trolled the Ledge for a while but didn't get anything so it was off to the buoy to try for some Ahi. We all had been assigned a rod and at about 11 am 1 started screaming!!! Music, sweet sweet music! I was the lucky dog! The other lines were cleared and I started cranking, fish pulled some line off - big ass reel that held a lot of line!. Jeff was great, J came down from the helm and about 20 minutes later deep color, big fish! Got it to the surface, he broke the water once then pulled a couple hundred more yards of line off. Not sure if he saw me or J - neither one very nice to look at. Back at it and as he came by the boat for a second time Jeff sunk a gaff in, then J put another one in and Bloodydecks!!!! They est 130#, gave him a headache, few pics then gutted and into the ice box he went. Lines back out, high 5's and knuckles and we were ready for more. I grabbed my cell phone and started sending pics to buddies back home!! HAHA The responses were varied. The rest of the day netted a handful of Aku (skipjack) some small Ahi (5 lbs) that were thrown back and 3 more nice YF's est 12-20+ lbs or so. J stayed out late for us as we were on the fish. He and Jeff worked hard, baiting, chumming, setting lines, changing out lures and even changing line to entice the finicky ones. We fished on his 32 Blackfin (cant believe I didn't get the name of the boat) very comfortable, nice equipment, nice rods & reels. I sat up top with J and Jeff at different times, talked about fishing and general BS. All in all I had a great day. Took home some fillets to share with the rest of the group (not all captains will do that - I understand) Highly recommend J's operation, he has 2 boats, well equipped, experienced crew (got to talk to Justin a couple days before my trip at the harbor and J says he is a great captain as well). Got a call from J the next day to tell me the fish weighed out at 112lbs dressed. He est 8 lbs of gut and 1 Aku head! so that puts it at 120, maybe a little more. Either way, my biggest by far. I'll fish with him again next year when I go back to the island. enjoy the pics, thanks for reading. Tight lines to all! Kauai May 2013 091.jpg Kauai May 2013 111.jpg Kauai May 2013 098.jpg Kauai May 2013 116.jpg

2. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Shout out to BD member Dweston!!! I found J from one of your posts. Thanks for posting his link. More pics Kauai May 2013 100.jpg Kauai May 2013 107.jpg Kauai May 2013 109.jpg Kauai May 2013 120.jpg

3. invictus

invictus AVD

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    kine bomber brah.

4. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    Way to go! I am glad it worked out for ya. Great report and pics.

5. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Matt,
    Glad you had FUN on Kauai, nice plump critters laid out there on the walk!!!

Cheers
    Pat

6. Kelle

Kelle Member

Name:
    Kelly
    Boat:
    24 Mosquito
    I think they call the boat "The Big Taco".

7. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Pat, do you have any recommendations for a charter for 3 or 4? Ill be in Oahu in mid July.

8. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Matt,
    I assume you are asking everyone as we all have our preferences, mine would be Magic (Large Sportfisher/town boat), Maggie Joe (large sportfisher/town boat) or Live Bait (31' Bertram flybridge/Leeward). Probably depends on where you are staying, if in Waikiki, the first 2 will be closer but also more expensive; you should call soon prime time is why, they all have websites. There's plenty of other good boats, just listed my preferences.

Good Luck,
    Pat

9. matt86m

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Thanks Pat, I'm staying at the Halekoa near Waikiki. Ill look at their sites. Thanks for the info

10. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    glad you had a great time with captain j!!! looks like an awesome day.