Kauai Fishing Charter to avoid

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Tunadude, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tunadude

Tunadude Newbie

Aloha!

Just came back from a vacation to Kauai....had a great time except for the fishing.

Signed up for a trip with Capt. Jude on the "Big Ta Do". This was to be my second time fishing with him based on a successful trip 2 years ago.

If you check back in archives you'll see I heaped high praise on him the last time out. This trip put an end to that. Only heap this operation belongs on is the junk heap.

First up, Capt. doesnt make the trip. He has a back-up captain greet me/us at the dock telling us he needed the day off after some back-to-back trips....ok...would have been nice to know that beforehand because I booked the trip based on Jude's performance last time; not the boat or area. Jude was the selling point. I truly do understand NOT handling a trip when its necessary to re-charge, or when a sick day is needed, but repeat customers are NOT tourists, and professional courtesy should be extended by letting us know ahead of time.

Second, the mate, who was nice-enough (when he was awake), crashed out twice during the 8 hour trip and just slept when things were slow...didnt change the lures or spread once...didnt interact with the charter much....I guess he had a nice, relaxing day on our expense. If the only mate I hired for the day went to sleep in front of my charter, it would be the last day he worked my deck. Period.

Third, one of the FAD's right outside the Port Allen harbor is gone.....in my opinion, that FAD WAS Port Allens claim to fame. Now its just blind trolling from ledge to ledge....if I knew that FAD was gone I would have never booked the trip as Jude told me that FAD held tuna all year, and particularly in the Summer months. Jude never mentioned that once to me prior to the trip, even though the FAD has been missing for some time.

4th, we told the replacement Capt. that we wanted to deep jig if things were dead. He assured us he would save some time near the end of the trip to do so. I went to him several times and said, "No tuna troll action.....lets deep jig and get some action now", hours before the end of the trip.....he blew me off until the last few minutes of the trip....we jigged for approx. 20 minutes and then called it a day after going 1 for 2 on big, ballsey AJ's. 2 hours earlier....with this type of action....and involvement from the crew, would have made this a successful trip.

Listen...I'm not a tourist...I fish for a living as well...I know the deal when it comes to slow days, and putting out "effort" on the deck to try everything...ANYthing to improve the chances that the client will catch fish.....

Big Ta Do got LOTS to do to improve their operation before I'll ever recommend using them.

Right now they are simply "Big ta Avoid".

2. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    What archives are we supposed to search to see you praising this operation?
    This is your first post on BD and you're pitching a bitch.
    Sorry your trip didn't work out.

3. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Welcome to BD.
    You mentioned you fish for a living.
    Posting up a fishing report would be great.
    Thanks,
    B

4. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    Judes on here from time to time, look him up he needs to know this kind of stuff as he does truly run a reputable business.
    Did he know that you had only intended to fish if he was skipper? this kinda of stuff is important to express, because we are not, mindreaders.
    first impressions are everything....As skipper myself when a passenger shows up with attitude I either right you off or ignore you all together.
    first impressions are everything....

5. Otter B

Otter B Newbie

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    15 ft. Klamath Otter B
    You're right, first impressions are everything. My first impression of you as a skipper is not good. I pay the bill, you try your hardest to get on fish no matter what my "attitude" is. Won't be riding with you, next time over.

6. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    BRAH You Are A Tourist! When you come to Hawaii for a Vacation you are a Tourist! Now if you come here every year that is different we call you RICH!
    Showing up on a Charter Fishing Boat with an attitude not good!
    Next Time Hang Loose Bradda!

7. gatothecat

gatothecat . .

Name:
    gatothecat
    Boat:
    Cool & Calm

X2

8. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    well... sorry for the trip man... to tell you the truth though, i've been living on Oahu for 6 years and when i go somewhere, i still get looked at like a "tourist"! Also, going to Kauai, dude, even other islanders are considered visitors from the other islands... not like we have a secret hand shake... "Psst, if we do, no one told me so perhaps that's what i'm missing" ....

As far as the FAD thing goes, those things are nice to have, but not must haves... our fishery here is definately sustained without those things... don't be fooled... they are nice to go by and get bait from time to time or perhaps pick up some shibi/aku at but just gotta put the miles on and find birds and natural bait piles... AHI are around and just have hooks in the water and pray...

To be honest, those guys could have had auto pilot on, both sleeping, boats' humming along at 7 knots offshore headed towards no where and a marlin blast the corner lure and all hell break loose... perhaps even managing to land the fish, so it's not like they would have done anything different to impress you except when the moment happened... so, i would say that had fish been hooked but then lost at gaff or perhaps, bad boat handling skills and tangled lines and what not causing lost fish.. but you didn't get any solid strikes on the troll... you can't make that happen... charters run on a fuel management aspect... no one is going to run 30 miles offshore looking for current lines at 26 knots and run here and run there...

now, as far as the mate goes... that dude NEEDS to be the most attentive person on the boat... constantly watching for stuff in the water, birds, lures, everything... that guy sounds like he was definately off his game and i wouldn't respect him for that... much less tip him...

again, just my .02 dude... bumma on the trip and all... i put tons of hours on the water weekend after weekend and even i come home empty handed...

9. askmelater

askmelater Newbie

-----

Fishing Charters are expensive and you expect the best. Running a charter business is expensive as well.

1) Captain should have been there or told you otherwise prior.

2) I never expect to always catch - so when I do I'm always happy :-)

3) Crew member needs to paying attention all the time (Birds, lures etc.)

4) FADs are nice but not a huge deal. Fish are all over. Bird pile is much more important.

5) If you want to Jig - make sure you Jig. It's your money and he'll save gas unless he wanted a larger fish to sell. Nothing wrong with being a little demanding and honest.

6) Next time will be better - but don't assume you'll catch :-)))

7) You used the term "Tourist" to describe that you are not some guy without a clue who wanted a long boat ride and pretty fish. You were visiting the islands - I got you.

8) The start of your morning (missing capt.) put you in a bad mood and it never got better. When we pay something like $700 for something we expect a "happy ending" ;-)

10. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    now i beg the question, if mister one post basher ever brought his experience up to captain jude or if he's just gonna bash and not give the owner operator a chance to fix the problem.

11. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    You would think someone would talk w/ complain to the svc provider before bashing them like that...then again I have NEVER heard of paid crew sleeping on a day charter...not cool...

Tight lines,

12. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    When your on a boat your part of the team. Someone who is part of the team doesn't complain weather they win, lose or draw. I'm sure if you caught you would not be saying the same thing and everybody know's (or should know fishing is fishing not CATCHING) Someone who mutters under there breath or won't take there complaint to those who wronged them is full of:shithappens:!

--
    JB

13. drew2578

drew2578 Newbie

Name:
    Analu
    Boat:
    19ft.
    When I have a problem with something I buy from from walmart I don't go talking about it to the local news paper... I go back to walmart and go to customer service and let them resolve it. Much better to get ahold of Jude privately then bashing his company publicly.

14. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Bottom Line Talk to Jude! Don't Blow Out an Bash His company over the Internet! Not Cool! By The Way Those Mates caught an Ahi 140# Yesterday afternoon!!! The reason they don't change the lures coz THEY HAVE CONFIDENCE IN THOSE LURES and know which lures will bite in the spread! These Guys are good! If the fish stay the reels SCREEEEMMMM!!!! ALOHA!

15. MANAPUA MAN

MANAPUA MAN Newbie

Name:
    CAPPY
    Boat:
    23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
    I work with ding bats like this every day.........

"It's not what you did for me yesterday, last week, last month, or last year"
    "It's what have you done for me today?"

They'll throw you under the bus in a heart beat.........

I love it when they ask the big question.....
    "So, where's all the fish?"

I tell them the fish went to take a shit....and the hogs ate them.
    Then I ignore them for the rest of the day...........

16. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Contact Jude by phone and resolve the problem.Bashing on a fourm is not the way to handle this kind of a problem.Doug

17. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    So,Otterb lets make something perfectly clear, I was not the skipper of that charter nor do I skipper for Capt J at all. just reading your post tells me I wouldn't want you on my island... just cause you come here and drop money we're supposed to deal with your attitiude.... its so much easier to fish work if everybodies happy/polite besides the fishing is probably way better...
    I have definately had captains no show me for trips all you can do is deal with the situation at hand if you get all pissy so will the others, bad attitudes are like wild fires and we don't need fires on a boat.

18. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Tunadude:_diarrhea_: hahaha

--
    JB

19. maukaman07

maukaman07 Newbie

So sad buddy... I got so sick of em trying to be the capt. That day.. trying to tell me what to do and when to do it. I've been fishing out of port allen since I could ride a boat and I've got a pretty damn good track record.. but I do have bad days just like everyone else.. a good advice for you is when you pay someone to take you fish let them do their job don't try to stick your nose in it..its my job and I take a lot of pride in it.. if you ruin it u also ruin my wife and two kids..have a nice day! Bad karma no fish!

20. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Howzit Justin Nicely Said!:2gunsfiring_v1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.