The Fishing Cholo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
Has anyone purchase this line from Amazon. I'm use to buying power pro.But with no work and so forth money is tight at the moment.I am seeking other alternatives.

Screenshot_20200715-023955~2.png

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Price = value. It is very rough feeling. Fishing is important!! Get good line.

Reactions: yessokk

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Have never personally tested Kast King spectra but the grape vine has nothing good to say about it. If someone purchased any Kast King Spectra send me some and I will test it. And post up a report.
PM me for details.

If you reel already has spectra, a money saving idea is to just flip the present spectra on your reel end for end. The last half of spectra on reels rarely see the light of day and will be good as new.
Hope this helps,
Walt

Found this review on Amazon:

Elliot Palmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rubbish - Don't Waste Your Money
Reviewed in the United States on October 7, 2018
Verified Purchase
I don't know who's writing the reviews of this braid, but I doubt it's anyone who's actually used it. First, as others have noted, it's much thicker than comparables at the same pound test, about 20-25% thicker, so you're not going to get nearly as much line on your reel as you would with the usual suspects...PowPro/Suffix/Spiderwire/Samurai, let alone Gliss or Nanofil. Second, after several breakooffs on offshore kelp that I wouldn't expect to happen with 40# test, I decided to test the line`s break strength properly (large bucket, fish scale & water hose) and, to my surprise, the 40# line never made it above 25# over 5 tests - always broke the line, knots held. Ive done the same exact test on other braids, never found one that broke below rated strength. Third, because it's such a loose weave it's casts very poorly, often wrapping around the rod tip if I'm casting crosswind. Fourth, it's color bleeds much more quickly than most comparables - they all bleed, but I expect more than one outing before they do. Bottom line, this stuff is rubbish, no serious angler would use this line as a primary, unless they had no alternative. Maybe it could find use as a backer, but even then, given its poor break strength, this would be ill advised.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
I have used KastKing braid, found it is a serviceable line, and have fished offshore on multi-day trips with no breakages (aside from cutoffs or tangles). Have only bought it through the big auction site with KastKing's own listings or directly from their website; looks like it ships from them via Amazon as well. Would avoid any sources overseas.

The line is slightly thicker and coarser than line from big name brands. Would it be realistic to expect it to have gone similar quality control as the known brands? No, so, IMHO, if doubling the line weight of your top shot and matching that to the braid rating, the chances are reasonable that it will give you the added capacity AND hold up when using the 1/4- or 1/3-rule for max drag from top-of-spool.

Ex:
30 lb mono topshot so 65 lb Kastking. 1/3 of 30 is 10 lbs max drag from top-of-spool; expect 20 lbs drag when line on spool drops down to half.​
65 lb rated braid holding up to 20 lb strength is not unreasonable (could even drop to the 50lb braid), but like anything else in real life, no guarantees. YMMV.

Have stopped buying KastKing these days since they no longer have white in stock.

Reactions: The Fishing Cholo

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I have it on my inshore reels and like other say it is a little thicker and more rough vs Jbraid or powerpro. Casts Ok and holds up well to fish up to 25lb that I have landed. I have not hooked up to anything heavier yet but I wont be scared to try unless the big boys are playing then I would second guess.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
www.ebay.com
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
I trolled the 60-130# veaid with no issues. It works like it should byt there are better options.

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
I have it on my inshore reels and like other say it is a little thicker and more rough vs Jbraid or powerpro. Casts Ok and holds up well to fish up to 25lb that I have landed. I have not hooked up to anything heavier yet but I wont be scared to try unless the big boys are playing then I would second guess.
[/QUOTE

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
Well I came across this one toro tamer.$100 for 1000m 50lb test.Anyfwed back on this will be appreciated thank y'all.

Screenshot_20200715-160001.png

Screenshot_20200715-160008.png

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
If I were fishing for inshore bass and cuda, I'd be fine using this.

If I'm fishing offshore and bites are crucial and fights are long, I'm sticking to my tried and true.

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I used 80lb white KastKing to land an 90 and 110 last year. The drag was set at 15 lb and 20 lb. So the KastKing was not really challenged.

I fish every week. My spectra gets abused and I often splice new sections. It gets twisted from trolling, flying the yummy, backlashes, tangles, boat rash, etc. If I only made a few trips a year. I'd consider buying more expensive line.

jowo

Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
I tried it once, had multiple breaks and splices that I saw while putting it on, the way power pro used to in the earlier years. The splices did not have any coating and felt much thinner than the mainline, so I took it back off and returned it.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
ToroTamer sits a step up above KastKing; the solid is slightly thicker than the the big names. Also using the hollow core both as main line and splices.

Can get it on sale during Fred Hall "season."

My most recent Toro Tamer purchase:

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
...Well after spending time searching and getting some great feed back.I have decided to go with this line.Thank y'all for the advise y'all shared...
What's the application? You were initially looking at 1000M with the KastKing and the J-braid white is 300M. If color is a secondary consideration (i.e., as long as it has acceptable visibility under all light conditions), the multi-color option will get you to 500M:

Amazon product

Otherwise, to get more than 300M but under 1500M in white with the available options on Amazon, it will have to be two spools of 300M with a splice using 4'-6' of 60 lb hollow core to ensure at least 50 lb for the entire length of your main line .

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
What's the application? You were initially looking at 1000M with the KastKing and the J-braid white is 300M. If color is a secondary consideration (i.e., as long as it has acceptable visibility under all light conditions), the multi-color option will get you to 500M:

Amazon product

Otherwise, to get more than 300M but under 1500M in white with the available options on Amazon, it will have to be two spools of 300M with a splice using 4'-6' of 60 lb hollow core to ensure at least 50 lb for the entire length of your main line .
J braided only come s in 150 300 500 3300 meters.All my reels have 300 yds of braid than I slap 50 yds of mono or floro.Im gonna go with moss green.

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
J braided only come s in 150 300 500 3300 meters.All my reels have 300 yds of braid than I slap 50 yds of mono or floro.Im gonna go with moss green.I was looking to buy in bulk but 3300 meters is to much and decided to just buy 5 300 meter spools for my offshore reels.

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
I bought some Hi-Vis yellow 80# for kite reel. Just noticed the other day how faded the color is. If it was on anything other than a kite reel i'd be more concerned. May even change it out. Packaging was very impressive.

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
I bought some Hi-Vis yellow 80# for kite reel. Just noticed the other day how faded the color is. If it was on anything other than a kite reel i'd be more concerned. May even change it out. Packaging was very impressive.
[/QUOTE Losing it's color should be the least important in a braided line.Thats my opinion. I also notice that's the number one complaint I hear and see about braided line.QUOTE]

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
I have other high quality brands and they havent faded. All I'm saying is maybe its not the best quality product.

The Fishing Cholo

Feb 24, 2019
East Los Angeles
Name
The Fishing Cholo
Boat
14ft Klamath "SOLD IT"
That's why I have been doing a lot of research on braided line.Tackle shops wanna charge $15 to $20 dollars per 100 yds when you got 3 to 5 reels to spool.I might as well buy in bulk and save more than just $4.I Figure each reel will run me $45 to $60 a reel. That's $135 to 180 on just 900 yds of line.Now that I seen the power pro for $130 for 1500 yds from bass pro shops.Im gonna jump on that. Thank you all for your advice,thoughts, and concerns much appreciated.