Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    So. This happened:
    63549069f72c7b384bc217293ce86f06.jpg

Then I ent back and saw in old
    Pictures that it has been cracked for a while

So I went and bought a new one, after inspection it is cracked like this on both sides:

7784cd69ac43303c30c8019036f46df3.jpg

Went back to the trailer store, they are all cracked.

I guess I'm going to my local welder to see if he can fix it!

If you have a karavan trailer you better check yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Otter Craft
    A good welder can fix that. Obviously a pimple faced squirt gun wielding minimum waged monkey was employed with no QC. The proper fix is very dependent on good prep. Got to grind through the galv to parent metal so the new weld is not contaminated. That is pretty disturbing.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    Which is why I posted here for the brotherhood

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    The trailer is all aluminum with the exception of the winch post and the cross bar it sits on. So luckily they only had to weld steel on the winch post.

Upvote 0

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
    Feb 15, 2012
    Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
    Name
    Howard
    Boat Name
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    If that is attached to a aluminum I beam trailer, I would bet that it is not even made by Karavan. Most of them are from"Tie Down Engineering". Some are Hecho in China.

If that is Karavan's work, I would just ask them to send you a new one.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    Right, I figured they just bought the part
    All The ones I looked at at the store were cracked too. I think I'm just going to take it to my local welder and get it fixed up good. I don't want to waste a lot of energy messing with the manufacturer. I'm sure they are all cracked or close to it. Whoever made the part is bad and Karavan needs to open their eyes.

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    3 and counting!
    That little gusset brace is a POS. Have them fab one up with 45 deg. gusset 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top. Without that the constant flexing will cause metal fatigue. It looks as though the base metal fractured at the weld. I say bad design, not bad welding!

Ducker!

Reactions: A-K and Clockwork
    Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat Name
    Yeah, I tend to agree but that does not excuse the new one with the cracks pre installed

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat Name
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    That little gusset brace is a POS. Have them fab one up with 45 deg. gusset 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the top. Without that the constant flexing will cause metal fatigue. It looks as though the base metal fractured at the weld. I say bad design, not bad welding!

Ducker!

Yeah, THIS!! I've fixed a couple of these, it doesn't need re-welding, it needs redesigned!! That little brace is not going to do a damn thing. The brace needs to be about a foot away at the base and hit just below the u - bolts for the winch.

Upvote 0

Clockwork

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 16, 2011
    covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    GW Marlin
    Yeah, THIS!! I've fixed a couple of these, it doesn't need re-welding, it needs redesigned!! That little brace is not going to do a damn thing. The brace needs to be about a foot away at the base and hit just below the u - bolts for the winch.

It baffles me how they design these winch mounts. There has to be someone at the trailer shop that knows something about gussets. It's either a tube welded at the very bottom or a little piece of flatbar.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I disagree that it is all design and not welding. It is probably a combination of both. If you get good penetration on both sides the weld would not have simply separated along the edge of the tube as if it was not even welded. If the production welder standing in a booth all day welding thousands of these has his nozzle pointed more at the main tube than the small brace the penetration is mostly on one side and barely if at all along the side that let go. If the welder had good penetration on both sides and it fracked from fatigue it would likely crack right down the center of the weld. A proper weld is often stronger than the metal it is attached to.

Reactions: Rellis
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    As stated ... It's the engineering not the welds.

Wow! Did you have opportunity to X-ray and inspect said welds... spoken so matter of fact and all knowing... I assume you must have. Can we see the results of the testing..

I was fortunate enough as a young man to work at CR Brophy'S in Milwaukee and weld thousands of Jack stands,, camper jacks, and such. These companies don't hire top quality welders... I was 18 and fresh out of high school and my only welding experience was at home and metal shop in school. It is all about production. A fork lift would deliver me barrels of parts and I had jigs for the various parts to be built. I stood in one place welding and throwing completed parts into barrels to be picked up by the same fork lift.

Later in life I worked at real fabrication shops and there is a difference...

To look at these welds and how they are separated along the tubes.... and then decide it is all engineering... well.... you are awesome!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
    Feb 15, 2012
    Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
    Name
    Howard
    Boat Name
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Upvote 0