Kaneohe bite is on!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Slow Poke, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Slow Poke

Slow Poke SeaKhunt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21' Kencraft
    Left Heeia at 4am and headed towards MM. Got to MM before first light only to find its not there. With fairly calm water we decided to try T. Halfway to T David spots a 4x4 about 4' long. It was wrapped in stainless steel on the outside. Not much but hey, you never know. We left the spread out and added a pink Aku lure on the spinner thinking there might be small stuff around. First pass the spinner hits hard. Thinking its a big Aku for a second until i see the yellow bugger take to the air. MAHI! Then bam, bam, bam, bam. 4 banger! We lose one on the corner but manage to get 2 Mahi and 1 Ono in. One more pass with nothing so we pull up with bait. We see a few more in the water and bait them up. I could see a few Ono way down but they werent coming up so we decided to jig for em. First drop whack! There goes my new Ahi jig. Throw on another and drop it back. Second drop bam! Get one more Ono in the boat. We could see more in the water but the bite was slow so we marked it and headed for T. As we pulled up to T there was another boat just leaving. Bummer. 7am and boats are already leaving the buoy. We thought there was still fish there so we jigged and baited for awhile. It took about 30 minutes but finally the Mahi and a few Ono came around. The Mahi were super picky and not into our bait. We switched a few things up and managed to get 3 more Mahi in the boat. Time to move on. On our way back we passed by our rubbish and the Mahi were there. Changed a few things up and landed a couple more. Couldnt get the Ono to bite though. A bit frustrated at the Ono we called it a day. About 5 miles off Mokumanu we took a blind strike. Marlin! She ran up to the boat in about 5 seconds going nuts on the surface. I gunned it and finally got it to turn after i hit 25knts. The fight was on. It changed direction at a 90 angle and ran hard pulling about 500 yards off my Shimano 50 wide. Eventually we gained some back and things were looking good. David had been fighting it in the stand up harness but it was sliding all over and killing his side. At this point the fish was down deep at a 45 angle when David switched to the gunnel. Stick the rod in and just like that.....fish gone! After loosing several Marlin this summer i thought this was a done deal. 20 minutes of fun on 50lb gear though. Well worth it any day! Estimated about 300lbs. Time to crack a beer and head for the barn.....after we hit the ledges of course. As soon as we hit the 40 we take a strike but comes off. Then another and another and another the forth one sticks and we land a 20lb Ono. Great way to cap off the day.

Hope you guys get out this weekend, weather looks sick!

Attached Files:

2. Beamer94107

Beamer94107 Newbie

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Crystal B

3. Beamer94107

Beamer94107 Newbie

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Crystal B
    Good going. No action at Waianae so I better get up really early and head out your way. Hope I hear my outrigger go off.

4. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Good catch, sounded like a ACTION day, can't beat that!

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Good going on a great catch! You guys were busy today...

6. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Nice catch. Good going.

7. Surfdawg

Surfdawg Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Blackfin 29' Flybridge
    Great job Jeff and Crew!! There are definitely still fish out here on Kaneohe side. Especially if you find a tree in the water.

8. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Or a 40' Dead whale... :rofl:

9. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Way to go guys on a good day of catchin'!!!

Cheers
    Pat

10. manu-o-ku

manu-o-ku Newbie

Name:
    luke
    Boat:
    170 Montauk
    Gotta love it when the hard work pays off. Congrats on a nice box full of fish!