Kaneohe 19SEP10

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by fetzerb, Sep 21, 2010.

1. fetzerb

fetzerb BAMF

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    none at the time
    Sorry for late report. Headed out sun morn towards U. The weather reports showed a swell and 20kt winds so I was prepared for wet trip, but the weather was great all day. Scattered birds on the way and no action at buoy. Set course for LL. Arrived at buoy with one boat working area with scattered birds. Did a few passes and left early, because the other guy was driving his boat around like I was not even there. Oh well aviod a problem and start heading out deep. About 40 min out while up stairs on the bridge, the center starts screaming. Start getting down to the deck and one guy on his first trip is on the rod. I start to help and look at the spool and it is looking pretty thin. I look back to see whats up and there is a mariln putting on an airshow! So I tighten the drag right before going over the hump. Then shortly after, slack. I think he jumped and landed on it ore bill wraped the line. It looks like it broke at the swivel. Oh well, fix lines and continue on. Everyone is giving me hell saying I lost it by tightening drag. Thats fishing though. 40 mins later im at the wheel driving snap,snap, snap- tripple blind strike. Crew starts working the lines. Port outrigger comes off shortly after knock down. Center and port short corner still there. Land the short corner 19# mahi. Then the center is ready. About the same size mahi is ready to be gaffed. The guy (who will remain nameless) decided to clean and jerk him into the boat rather than gaff. Rips hooks right out off mouth! Damn it. Oh well thats fishing. I caught myself saying that alot this trip. About 35 miles out from head buoy now, decide to turn around. Head for MM. About half way there knock down on strwberry head with pink and black skirts. 14# mahi mahi in the boat. Arriving at MM there were more birds sitting than flying. Did one pass nothing, one more BAM! Chrome jet head with red and silver skirts. Starboard outrigger is being reeled in. 25# ono in the box. Decide to call it and head in.

Over all not that bad of a trip considering everyones reports, or lack thereof. 50% catch to strike ratio, I will do better next time!!! Here is a pic of the final results.

Attached Files:

2. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    nice catch!!!

3. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Good grinds in the cooler! I haven't seen much mahi out there for several months. Nice trip!

4. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Good Job on that catch Ben!

Wow, sauteed Mahi and cannot beat the Ono for the best white meat sashimi!

5. Kolina

Kolina Walt

Name:
    Walter T. Okuma Jr.
    Boat:
    25' Force COLLEEN
    Thanks for the report! Awsome catch.

6. tall8420man

tall8420man Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Magic Man
    no gaff small mahi's LOL, Just up and in. Still a killer trip.

yours truly

"nameless"

7. turbojel

turbojel Tryin' to b a fisherman

Name:
    John Lebold
    Boat:
    Git 'R Done
    Nice fishin...I will hopefully have some kinda report for you guys after tomorrows solo...
    Get 'em ALL!!

8. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    HaHa Todd. Live and learn brother! Just gotta wrap as low to the hook and ease that buggah in if no like gaff.