Kaneohe 10-27

sgchun

Aug 19, 2012
pearl city
Name
Wally
Boat
Boomerang-17 currentline
Left the dock at 530a and headed for MM. Found a 4X12 about 8ft long about 1 mile past were MM should be. Take a Mahi strike but comes off. Make a couple of passes but no luck. We see a lot of Mahi and Ono underneath so we start throwing bait. Fish take the bait but not with the hook. They watch the bait go down then eat it. We try live bait but still no bite. We try jigging but no good so we move on. We find another log about the same size a couple of miles away but again no takers. We find a bird pile about 20+miles out and hit 3 small big eye. We find another log in the bird pile so we walked one of the big eyes around for a half an while throwing bait but still no takers so we start heading back. We come across a large foam floater with rope and nets around it about 15 miles out. We make a few passes and take a look down. No one home. I thought this one would be a good one. Started getting late so we headed toward home. We headed toward a bird pile about 4 miles from the Mokus and the stinger goes off. Big splash in the back turns out to be two Onos going for the same lure. One hooks and we get one. The other went for the head of the lure and frays the line. Lucky it didn't bite through. A lot of rubbish out there but the fish are educated. Good Luck Everybody!!

manu-o-ku

Jul 13, 2012
Honolulu, hawaii
Name
luke
Boat
170 Montauk
Its days like that I want to jump in the water and do some blue water spearfishing. I've been tempted at the buoys, when you can see the mahi, but they wont bite. You'll getem next time.

Slow Poke

SeaKhunt
Jun 6, 2010
Kailua, HI.
Name
Jeff
Boat
21' Kencraft
Sounds like a tough day out there. We had some trouble getting them to bite our baits too. What i find works sometimes is to switch to smaller hooks and braid. or floro leaders. Or you can do what Manu says and jump in the water with a spear. A whole other kinda fun! You'll get em next time.