Kailua Bay Phenomena

baitdragger

Nov 29, 2008
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Steve
Boat
Proline 20
Got a question for someone who might know. Several times a year a strong fishy smell (I think it actually smells like watermelon) can be encountered inside Kailua Bay and the water surface becomes super glassy ( like spilled oil) even if get wind on it. Is this related to schooling baitfish, coral spawning, water column turning over? I been trolling Kailua Bay for papio and ulua on my hobie cat for 30+ years and never found the source or the reason. Id like to think the fishing is better during this period which lasts a week or so, but yesterdays evening trolling proved wrong... not even a strike at prime time in "the spot" which coincided with the location of the oily fishy plume.
Anybody experience this before or know what causes it? Mahalo?

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
That's probably the same stuff the blue water trollers see moving along the current lines during the months of July, August and September.

The two theories I've heard are:
1. ahi eggs
2. algae bloom

If I were a betting man, I think I'd choose option 2.

Smudge

Moderate
Mar 11, 2005
Hollywood, FL
www.sandiego-sportfishing.com
Name
Matt
Boat
I'm just a deckhand...
Maybe coral spawn??

No.2 SPL

Jun 16, 2010
Ewa Beach HI
Name
No. 2 SPL
Boat
looking for a new boat
Could be from the fresh water on the surface mixing with the saltwater or it might be the treated sewage discharge coming back in. IDK? but I've seen what your talking about...

baitdragger

Nov 29, 2008
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Steve
Boat
Proline 20
it seems like it is some species spawn, guess i should try keep track of when during the year it happens. unreal how something like that can affect whole portions of the bay and make the water like glass even when get 15 knots wind blowing. Thanks All!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
In kona I have heard watermelon smell = bait...haven't smelled it and seen the gunk together though.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
I've noticed that smell/glassy sheen in kaneohe bay too. Summer time around or after a high tide. I have no idea what it is but reminds me of dish soap.