5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
How are your Kaenons holding up? I've been thinking about giving a pair a shot, but there are some interesting comments on amazon about how saltwater causes the lens to deteriorate rapidly. My buddy has a pair of kaenons and he said he noticed the same thing, the lenses simply don't hold up as well as some of the other sunglasses he has.

On the positive side, he said Kaenon has always had fantastic customer service and has always replaced the lenses on his glasses when he sends them when this happens. Not so sure I want to bother with something like this, though.

I'm just looking to have the durability of the kaenon sr-91 lenses around saltwater confirmed. Hoping this discussion won't go off track about all of those other brands I should try... Thanks.

Upvote 0

ldizzle910

Oct 4, 2010
Ventura
Name
Lionel
Boat
Can I fish on yours
I have a pair of kaenon burnet glasses with the sr-91 lenses and they have given me no problem at all...they look great and withstand my weekly trips out to the islands I stand by them

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I swear by mine. the last pair I bought a couple of months before Fred hall LB, (Kore), the frames were losing the finish material where they made contact with my face...on the inside of the earpieces. I showed them to the rep at the show and he exchanged them no questions asked. I think it had a reaction with my spray on sunscreen. Did NOT affect function....just appearance when not being worn.

I have had NO issues with the lenses.

"try it, you'll like it". :D

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
I've had my pair for 5 years, I really like them. And yes, the lenses have had issues. I sent them in last year and a few days later they were returned with the newest lenses at no charge. That was on a four year old pair of glasses!! It was four years of wear before I saw anything wrong....

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I have two pair that were given to me. They scratch like hell and then the lenses end up crazed over time. I took the glasses with crazed lenses in and they charged me $80 for new lenses. In general, plastic lenses will always end up scratched, especially if used on the salt.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I had a pair where the lenses got all pitted up from what i beleive was the salt water sitting on them while stored away.Sent them in and came back with new lenses free of charge.

Upvote 0

Sushi King

SUSHI KING
May 31, 2008
novato,ca,usa
Name
Bob
Boat
18 bayrunner sushi king
My Kaenon Rino's are holding up great I think I have had them at least 5yrs.maybe 6 I am on my third set of lenses found a online place that's cheap my new set is two weeks old and I got BIG a scratch right in the middle of the lens from a crankbait with crazy sharp hooks flying out of the water and hit me glad I had them on.

Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Just lost my Kaenon UPD's after 4 years. The wife and I have had 4 pairs over the last 10 years. The lenses will craze and become cloudy over time. They were originally designed for sailing. I moved on to the Costa Brine with the 580g lenses. As a rule, the frames are large so make sure you try them on before you purchase.

Upvote 0