woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Alright..... I was just wondering brothers if I'm the only one that somehow complicates things by "overthinking".... "Over Engineering"... things ...when simplifying is the REAL answer?

I say this with a "left field" example in mind. So I have fished and traveled Baja for decades... seen many things ...caught many fish.

Place... Los Arenas... came.down to surf fish and noticed a local fishing for bait on the beach. Now I had all the gear I could carry... but no live bait. As I approached....I noticed he was snagging them while wading in knee deep water. So ...I put down my stuff and rigged up a sabiki.... on my $300 rod and $500 reel.

As I turned around to enter the water.... I was almost hit by a fresh bait .... caught and thrown towards the beach... by the "local". But....sea gulls were swooping.... and they were making a scene now fighting for what he was pitching back on the beach. I was puzzled.... for a moment.... but walked away to.put some space between us.... and went to catch my own bait.

Thats when it happened. .... so I look over and he's snagged another bait.... stopped for a second.... put a big hook with his line in the fresh bait.... and threw it back on the beach.... to the delight if the swarming seagulls!

Immediately.... that bait was swooped on by a seagull who took off with it in his beak. Flying as fast as he could to try and keep dinner... to be eaten far offshore ... for sure. Then I see it. That Gull pick up his beach bait.... with the big hook and line attached. As he flew away from the others...with the bait in his beak..... the "local".... pointed his monofilament wrapped tin can at the bird.... waiting. Further and further that Gull flew.... he just pointed the tincan... slowly unspooling his line. That bird was at least 100 yards away....lol.

Then JERK!! With a tug.... that seagull dropped the squirming live bait into the water. No $500 reel is gonna cast that far....I laughed. Just then.... on his "tin can"... he got bit. Long story short....#25 Roosterfish.

Gear....tin can.... recycled mono.... live bait and a Seagull.

K.I.S.S. ... lol. Right there!

So how about you? Has technology and so many possibilities blinded us from the simplest solutions to complex problems? Is simplicity a higher form of over enginnering? Have you ever saved the day with "duct tape" and wire.... when panic was rampant... and replacement parts were FEW!

So what's your K.I.S.S. story....?

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... 20 years later...it still amazes me.... and makes me laugh. Between pangeros... the locals and the old "PESCADORES".... I learned mucho my friend. My other major learning location was KONA. Learned so much there as well over the years....from the commercial guys... and the local brothers....who have learned the art of using what you got. Simplicity at its finest!

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Alright..... I was just wondering brothers if I'm the only one that somehow complicates things by "overthinking".... "Over Engineering"... things ...when simplifying is the REAL answer?

I say this with a "left field" example in mind. So I have fished and traveled Baja for decades... seen many things ...caught many fish.

Place... Los Arenas... came.down to surf fish and noticed a local fishing for bait on the beach. Now I had all the gear I could carry... but no live bait. As I approached....I noticed he was snagging them while wading in knee deep water. So ...I put down my stuff and rigged up a sabiki.... on my $300 rod and $500 reel.

As I turned around to enter the water.... I was almost hit by a fresh bait .... caught and thrown towards the beach... by the "local". But....sea gulls were swooping.... and they were making a scene now fighting for what he was pitching back on the beach. I was puzzled.... for a moment.... but walked away to.put some space between us.... and went to catch my own bait.

Thats when it happened. .... so I look over and he's snagged another bait.... stopped for a second.... put a big hook with his line in the fresh bait.... and threw it back on the beach.... to the delight if the swarming seagulls!

Immediately.... that bait was swooped on by a seagull who took off with it in his beak. Flying as fast as he could to try and keep dinner... to be eaten far offshore ... for sure. Then I see it. That Gull pick up his beach bait.... with the big hook and line attached. As he flew away from the others...with the bait in his beak..... the "local".... pointed his monofilament wrapped tin can at the bird.... waiting. Further and further that Gull flew.... he just pointed the tincan... slowly unspooling his line. That bird was at least 100 yards away....lol.

Then JERK!! With a tug.... that seagull dropped the squirming live bait into the water. No $500 reel is gonna cast that far....I laughed. Just then.... on his "tin can"... he got bit. Long story short....#25 Roosterfish.

Gear....tin can.... recycled mono.... live bait and a Seagull.

K.I.S.S. ... lol. Right there!

So how about you? Has technology and so many possibilities blinded us from the simplest solutions to complex problems? Is simplicity a higher form of over enginnering? Have you ever saved the day with "duct tape" and wire.... when panic was rampant... and replacement parts were FEW!

So what's your K.I.S.S. story....?
    Great story on local knowlege, nice story overall! Thank you! 👍

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0