Muricaman

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2015
San Diego / Orange County
Name
Drew
Boat
(Party Boat) Pacific Queen
I fish a JX 6/3 with 50# spec and 30# mono topshot. When I flyline a dine, most of the time the reel's spool moves too fast and despite trying to finesse the spool speed with my fingers/thumb with the speed of the bait, my mono backlashes on itself and I have lost fish or gotten too frustrated to use the reel. Haven't had a problem like that with my Torium. I've tried engaging a bit of drag to help a bit, and I stripped off the mono and filled the spool up with spectra to see how that fares now.

Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
There is a bait setting....just in gear.

I just use lite touch.

You could grease a spool bearing too....but I wouldnt.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
It's because the spool of the JX is heavier than your torium. It's hard to get it moving and harder to stop once it is. You need to use your thumb or finger to slow (not stop) the spool as the bait is pulling out line to keep control.

Upvote 0

funnyguy

Almost A Member
Feb 27, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
19 foot Trophy CC
Hello,

Take a thin piece of steel and epoxy it to the inside of the frame. Place 1/8 inch thick x 1/4 inch wide rare earth magnets on steel. Adjust to your liking by adding magnets.

Chris

IMG_2983.JPG

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Magging won't be much help unless the spool is moving very fast, like when asking. Even a great bait won't swim fast enough to engage the mag effect. One thing that might help: Make sure the line lays evenly on the spool. If there is a "hump" in the middle the spool will speed up as it comes off the hump and try to slow down on the sides. That will lead to a backlash at even slow speeds.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    One long shot, but possible...if you don't fish often or if your mono is stiff it may loosen before it is needed. Try letting you mono out while heading to the fishing grounds, let it straighten out, then reel in and see if the line hoops are gone.
    I usually see this happen with 50# plus line/Fluoro, but could happen with 30# line.
    Otherwise, may just need educate you drag thumb to press as needed. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

Reactions: Muricaman
    Upvote 0

Muricaman

Almost A Member
    Jun 6, 2015
    San Diego / Orange County
    Name
    Drew
    Boat
    (Party Boat) Pacific Queen
    One long shot, but possible...if you don't fish often or if your mono is stiff it may loosen before it is needed. Try letting you mono out while heading to the fishing grounds, let it straighten out, then reel in and see if the line hoops are gone.
    I usually see this happen with 50# plus line/Fluoro, but could happen with 30# line.
    Otherwise, may just need educate you drag thumb to press as needed. Good Luck and Tight Lines.
    Thanks, I havent tried letting the line out before fishing so that would probably help me out a bit. I change my mono every season

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Mine does the same thing. Either fish it with a 2-3' leader/spectra or a minimum of 75 yards of mono top-shot/spectra.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    go to the park and practice doesn't take long to educate yourself take a spray bottle and wet the line first won't loose a fish in the park either

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Finally someone with the same problem! I'm hoping that filling up the reel with braid it'll fix it

You guys arnt alone. It just takes practice.

If you look on the side of your reel, the lever goes from Free to Bait. It's writen on the side of the reel. However, sometimes clicking into Bait mode is too much. At that point you just have to have the touch that comes over time.

I use my thumb on hand that is palming the reel to drag a bit if needed. Then take the line with my other hand and hold line coming off reel between thumb and fore finger. That is the hand that controls line going out.

That way your fingers are always touching the line and you can feel when you get picked up.

go to the park and practice doesn't take long to educate yourself take a spray bottle and wet the line first won't loose a fish in the park either

going to the park is not going to simulate a bait pulling line off the reel.

20170525_201224_2.jpg

20170525_201234_1.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0