Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Just signed up for a 10 dayer on the Excel for the Sept 28 – Oct 8, 2014 Phenix Rods trip. Here is what
I plan on taking for the trip. Some of the rods I have listed may seem a bit over kill, but I am
planning to do Cow trips as well. In other words, some of the Cow rods I don’t have as of yet.<o:p></o:p>

700M – Penn Fathom FTH25N. 30# live bait rig<o:p></o:p>
700H – Daiwa Saltist STTLD50 2SD. 40/50# bait rig<o:p></o:p>
700H – Daiwa Saltist STTLD50 2SD. 40/50# bait rig<o:p></o:p>
Lamiglas BFC5610RT. 5’6”. – Penn Baja Special. Yo-Yo. Wahoo jigging rig.<o:p></o:p>
Lamiglas BFC5610RT. 5’6”. – Penn Baja Special. Yo-Yo. Wahoo jigging rig.<o:p></o:p>
770XXH – Mak Sea20 – Mid / Heavy tuna live bait rig / jigging.<o:p></o:p>
770XXXH – Penn 30VSX – Dropper loop / Chunking<o:p></o:p>
800H – Penn FTH40 – Wahoo bombs.<o:p></o:p>
I’m trying to work with what I have and what I want to start buying for my cow trips. Down in
the GOM a 5’6” rod is what we most all use for jigging for Yellow and Black fin tuna.
That’s why I have them. I appreciate any help. Tex.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
WOW. I guess my list of fishing ammo for a 10 day is so messed up noone wants to comment on it. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
IMO it is too early in the season for cows....but a good time for wahoo, smaller YFT, dorado and yellowtail.....if I were hunting cows i would book a 12 to 16 day trip between November and April......

A 10 day will work if the fish show up at the lower banks.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
My bad. My bad. I appologize for the confusion. I wanted to do a variety trip before I do a dedicated Cow trip. The rigs I have listed is for a 10 day variety not a Cow trip. The reason I listed the bigger rigs is just in case we run into 100+ pound fish of whatever type. I just want to catch some fish.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
So, I'm a little confused as to what you actually own and what you are going to buy. Your trip is a variety trip and it would be rare to see a Yellowfin over 100 lbs. Not that it doesn't happen, but nothing you can't handle with your 30VSX. Gearing up for your trip, I'd be concentrating on 3 applications:

1) Fishing live bait (Sardines) with 40 lb and 50 lb topshots, two speed reels for this. I personally like the two speeds with short (20-25') fluorocarbon topshots and rods in the 6'6" and 7' range, 30-80 rated. Rods like the Seeker composites, 6465H and 6470H. Whatever is similar in Calstar Graphiters.

2) Fishing Yellowtail with yoyo jigs. For this, I like reels like Baja Special, Trinidad 40 with longer 50 lb mono topshots, 100 yards. I'm not a big fan of winding and grinding with spectra at high speeds. I like the mono for that. Others have other opinions. I like stiffer rods, 6465H and 6465XH. Fishing Wahoo with jigs and bombs. For this I pretty much use the same outfits. With the exception of fishing the lower zone (Clarion and Hurricane Bank) where I like a two speed, Accurate BX2-600N, with the Wahoo jigs as we're usually in tuna water.

3) Other applications you have handled. Dropper looping for Grouper or Yellows, use the bigger gear with 80-100 lb mono. It's not a finesse presentation, it's a brawl and you need heavier line to keep these guys out of the rocks. Troll with the boat's outfits as they have them all set up with the hot jigs. Don't waste any money on Marauders or Bonitas. There's plenty of other terminal tackle that can eat up your dollars. Then on the lower end, you'll enjoy having that 30 lb outfit for smaller schoolie Yellowfin and Dorado. Also, it can be used for live bait fishing for Wahoo.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Oh, and as far as the 5'6" rods, we fished with them for years and caught fish. On the Long Range boats, it's usually a rod size used with stand up gear for larger tuna in heavier ratings then yours, but yours will work. Just a personal preference to use the 6'6" rods for yoyo for me. Check with the Excel about borrowing a couple of their rods and use your own reels. That should work. Don't go all crazy buying up the full list of tackle. Get some minimums like 40 and 50 lb fluoro and some good quality hooks. A few jigs and a couple of bombs and get the rest on board if you lose yours or if you don't have the "hot color."

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I think you're set. I like the 700M and 700H set ups for live bait as listed. Not familiar with the Lamiglass but looked it up and saw its rated 50-100. Should be fine for Yoyo with the Baja Specials. I like a shorter stiffer stick for wahoo so if this were my gear I'd switch the 800H with one of the 700H's. The 770xxh is a good 100# bait stick with the Mak 20. Probably won't be needed on this trip unless for grouper. The 770xxxh is a pretty stout stick that I'd fish 130 and a 50 size reel on preferably although a 30 size reel could work too I guess.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Thanks Steve. I appreciate it. I own everything except the 770 rods and Mak SEa 20.
How about this?

700M &#8211; Penn Fathom FTH25N. 30# live bait rig

800H &#8211; Daiwa Saltist STTLD50 2SD. 40# bait rig
700H &#8211; Daiwa Saltist STTLD50 2SD. 50# bait rig

700H &#8211; Penn FTH40 &#8211; Wahoo bombs.
Lamiglas BFC5610RT. 5&#8217;6&#8221;. &#8211; Penn Baja Special. Yo-Yo. Wahoo jigging rig.

Lamiglas BFC5610RT. 5&#8217;6&#8221; &#8211; Penn 30VSX &#8211; Dropper loop / Chunking.

Or, if you really want to buy something relevant to this trip, get your hands on a new or used 6465H for that Baja Special. Then you'll look cool. ;)

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Bummer, I thought you were strictly interested in cow fishing.
Had I known you wanted a variety trip, I would have invited you on our long-standing Penn-sponsored 8-day trip in mid-October 2014 aboard the American Angler; lots of demo rigs to try out so you can figure what you like, and we always hammer the fish.
Anyway,for fall variety trips, the majority of your fishing will be done with 3 rigs; a 40-pound bait rig with a 2 speed [your #2 and #3 listed, good that you have 2 of them], a yo-yo/wahoo jig setup with a 50-pound long topshot [5.5 foot rods are acceptable], and "IF" the boat goes to Alijos, you "MAY" have a shot at 80-130 pound tuna, where a 50/60 pound live bait combo is very useful [Something like a Penn 12VSX or TRQ40NLD2].
Things like trolling rods and kite rods are very optional [borrow the boats is fine, and actually better for the kite], and don't leave your "goof off" rigs at home on those variety trips.
Detailing the rest of your rigs:
#1- great for dorado, school-size tuna, and especially as a wahoo bait rig.
#6- At Alijos, if you get some "big bait" [squid or big mackerel], this could be used for tuna; its amazing how small a tuna will chomp down a 4-pound squid. Also good for Alijos-grade chunking, and ballooning if the boat does it.
#7- its fishing of course, but reality says you won't run into any tuna that require this gear. However, for better yellows and grouper on the dropper loop [especially at night], it is nice.
#8- with mono this is a 40 pound rig [a bit light for bombs], so this might be a good spot to experiment with a "straight braid" rigging. Keep the wire leader on bombs of course, but a 4-foot section of heavy [or doubled] fluorocarbon with a raider or other iron jig has both major advantages and major disadvantages for wahoo.

kahuna bass

Sep 24, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Mel
Boat
Vagabond & Excel
Hey Alben Lee,

You have an excellent selection of toys. Glad to see the guys helping you out with recommendations.

I look forward to meeting you on next years Phenix Rods 10 day trip on the Excel!

Mel - Kahuna bass

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
That is a great time of year for big wahoo on the ridge. 10 days will be able to cover all the bases in that area. The 2 speed 40# stuff will work well at the rocks. Good luck but more important have fun. Do enjoy the sun rises and sunsets and hopefully good weather...

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to it. I've never been to the west coast. What kind of weather can I expect at that time? At present day you guys are wearing sweaters while fishing out in the Pacific. Is it that chilly out there in the middle of summer?