Just received my property tax bill from the county of Santa Barbara

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
Bought new a 2016 Robalo Cayman 226. When I got my tax bill from Orange County, none of it made sense and was off the charts. Appeared in person. First 2 employees literally did not speak English and only added to the frustration. Eventually got a supervisor who was professional and able to get answers. Discovered they based my 226 upon the worth of a 246 because he said that’s all they could find on line. Wrong ! Then they included in the value the shipping fee from east coast to west coast. Wrong ! They also included all the sales tax and frees. Wrong ! Then they also included the dealers prep fee as well. Wrong ! Of course I had to spend a lot of time researching that all these extra fees can NOT be used in evaluating the value of my boat to based their tax. They eventually agreed and re-adjusted the property tax. What a hassle to say the least. Hope this helps
Guilty until proven innocent. This seems to go with the politics of Kali.

Reactions: Si Como No
Upvote 0

Mr Lingcod

Almost A Member
Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
View attachment 1050188 This bill is for my 2017 Robalo R180 with 115 Yamaha. I think this is more than I paid for the boat brand new. I called and ask how they can value a used boat for more than I paid. The person that I talked to said it may have gone up in value. Is that possible?

I have requested a form to asked for them to revalue the boats worth.
TIA

The guy you want to call for the SB harbor (if you want it reassessed) is Daniel Burger: 805 346 8382.

He's on vacation and will be back on Monday. They we're over 100% off on my valuation and so I have to speak with him next week. Good luck. I believe it should be as simple as showing what you paid for the slip to determine rough market value .

Upvote 0

Cindy Lou

Aug 20, 2014
Name
Dan
Boat
305 Robalo
I bought a boat in Ventura County September 2018. I live in NorCal and the boat has been here since the day I purchased. Going back & forth with the County to try and prove the boat has been out of the county since purchased. Now they want storage receipts or else they're saying for me to pay up. Fortunately I put the boat in a slip so I provided the receipts for the slip. Unfortunately I stored the boat at my property with no way to prove it for just over a month or so before placed in a slip. Waiting for the response. BTW, they are also trying to tax me full amount that I paid the dealer for the boat which included the sales tax, a trailer which is registered separately, service & detail charges I had done since the boat was purchased used. Unbelievable.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Welcome to SB!

SB wants $2400 for my 29 Radon saying it's worth $225k when I bought it 2 years ago for $175k and have put hours on it.

They want $1380 for my 35ft slip saying it's worth $130k when I bought it a year ago for $90k.

I'll ask if they want me to make them a package deal for $355k when I visit the office :)

Update: went in the office today and got the forms to contest it. I encourage everyone else dealing with the same to do so. It's a time sink and a hassle but will be worth it in the end and the more of these that get contested the more they'll see its a huge issue.

Upvote 0

dsivak

Almost A Member
Jun 30, 2009
Irvine, Ca
Name
Dave
Boat
EDGEWATER 228CC
"If Any you assholes are complaining about the tax Bill on your boat Are also voting for Democrats then shut the fuck up"

Next time you post something check your grammar so you sound intelligent or sober up first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
It sounds like Orange County is 'reasonable' vs other counties ...

$193 for my Farallon .... I'm not complaining.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I’m wondering if it would be beneficial to register my boat in Montana? That way they can’t track it down.
    Why not?All my neighbors have there boats registered in AZ and cali plates on their trailers (10$ permanent plate),Another one has a half million dollar diesel pusher and it has montana plates,lol.

Reactions: BiggestT
    Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    Bought new a 2016 Robalo Cayman 226. When I got my tax bill from Orange County, none of it made sense and was off the charts. Appeared in person. First 2 employees literally did not speak English and only added to the frustration. Eventually got a supervisor who was professional and able to get answers. Discovered they based my 226 upon the worth of a 246 because he said that’s all they could find on line. Wrong ! Then they included in the value the shipping fee from east coast to west coast. Wrong ! They also included all the sales tax and frees. Wrong ! Then they also included the dealers prep fee as well. Wrong ! Of course I had to spend a lot of time researching that all these extra fees can NOT be used in evaluating the value of my boat to based their tax. They eventually agreed and re-adjusted the property tax. What a hassle to say the least. Hope this helps

too bad all the errors made were in their favor.....probably not a mistake.

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 19, 2010
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    too bad all the errors made were in their favor.....probably not a mistake.

It definitely wasn't a mistake. They take all they can. When I was in the Tax office today in SB I asked how they came up with the 225k amount for my Radon she said they found one similar for that much online, I asked please show me the ad bc I'm pretty sure I've seen the ads for every Radon sold in the last decade and I know I haven't seen that, she said they can't remember what site it was on. Total BS.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Canyon

Mover
    Sep 22, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colin
    Boat
    Less
    It definitely wasn't a mistake. They take all they can. When I was in the Tax office today in SB I asked how they came up with the 225k amount for my Radon she said they found one similar for that much online, I asked please show me the ad bc I'm pretty sure I've seen the ads for every Radon sold in the last decade and I know I haven't seen that, she said they can't remember what site it was on. Total BS.

That is how they valued my G17 as well.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"

yeah i was being sarcastic. if you made those kind of "errors" on your taxes they would lock you up, and extort interest and penalties from you. we are on the slippery slope now.

Reactions: marlyn and sbsurfer
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    View attachment 1050188 This bill is for my 2017 Robalo R180 with 115 Yamaha. I think this is more than I paid for the boat brand new. I called and ask how they can value a used boat for more than I paid. The person that I talked to said it may have gone up in value. Is that possible?

I have requested a form to asked for them to revalue the boats worth.
    TIA

Go to NADAGuides.com and get a valuation and take it down and dispute it. You will win.

Reactions: willbuyone
    Upvote 0

Salty Paul

XIPHIAS GLADIUS
    Oct 9, 2016
    Bearflag South end
    Name
    Salty Paul
    Boat
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    Just got my bill for $662. I sold the boat a year ago this month; go figure.

Upvote 0

Darksails

I like bourbon.
    Sep 10, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Blaine
    Boat
    Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'

I checked my assessment today and found it was higher than the purchase price of the boat - OC told me that they are required by law (Xerox vs. OC) to include the sales tax in the assessed value and tax me on it (!?).

How'd you get them to drop the sales tax bullshit?

Upvote 0

Scottinline1

Jun 17, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    Scottinline1
    Boat
    World Cat 270EC
    I made the mistake of selling my boat right after January 1st. So not only do I have to pay a year of tax for a boat I don’t even own anymore they also collect sales tax from the guy that bought it and his property taxes on it.

Upvote 0

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
    Aug 4, 2016
    Lompoc Ca
    Name
    Terry Cobb
    Boat
    Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
    I made the mistake of selling my boat right after January 1st. So not only do I have to pay a year of tax for a boat I don’t even own anymore they also collect sales tax from the guy that bought it and his property taxes on it.

We would be prosecuted for doing the same thing to someone.

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    If your boat is in a storage yard, they are required to notify the county of it's location and that is where they catch up with you on taxes...Putting an out of state registration on it could place you in the back payment of fees penalty box...
    ...it is better to do online printouts of recent similar sales and appeal it each year until they give up...They may send someone out to look at it, so, it is to your advantage to tear things apart just after appealing, if you are claiming worn out engines, etc....

Upvote 0