Just got some new VISX reels plz help

F0urTw3nt33

Jul 1, 2014
Name
Four
Boat
Gus Sea 21'
I have been reading many threads in relation to this topic and have about 50 tabs open so I've probably read and learned what I need to; but everyone has their own way of doing something which contradicts another's. I'd guess that's kind of what I'm looking for here with my questions too. I was just gifted 2 reels from the wife for my birthday and Christmas which are a few days apart. A VISX 50 and a VISW 30. The VISW 30 is being returned for a VISX as I don't need that for anything. I plan on doing many more trips including 10+ and 15+ day trips to search for those cow yellowfin tuna but also fish locally for the big bluefin on party boats. I've been stuck renting the big guns for the last few years. I do not currently have a working boat but once I can get my hands on a new 4 stroke I'll be out there with the rest of you flying a kite.

Do I even need a VISX 50 unless I'm out there flying a kite? Not concerned in the slightest with owning a kite rig until my boat is up and running as all the LR have their own. The VISX 50 seems a little overkill for bait and flatfalls but then again I've never caught a big ass tuna. Where would that fit into your arsenal?

I know I'm returning that visw 30 for a VISX 20. I think would like to rig it like alan tani did with 100# JB Hollow but without all the multicolored splices... seems like that's something I would entertain if I had all the toys he does. Knowing what you do now after all your years and experience how would you spool a visx 20 for fishing live bait and flatfalls and why? Some go solid and splice hollow for price and more capacity. Some go straight 100 or 130lb hollow. Some splice 100 either solid or hollow up to 130lb hollow for knotless connections. Some go full solid for bait presentation. I would like to fish the shortest topshot either mono or flouro I can get away with to let a bait swim better.

As of now I've been thinking about returning the 50 for a visx 16 after admiring tunanorths 300+lb fish. I believe he loads his with 100lb pro spec but I'm not sure if i want to either go with that or maybe some JB in 80#. I Frequently drag my father out on these tuna trips and would like to be able to provide another reel that's easy enough to fish all day and still handle these big fish. He's not a particularly good or die hard fisherman by any stretch of the imagination but gets on that rail and has a blast. Would a a visx 30 be a better choice as these will currently be my largest 2 set ups?

Do I keep the 50? Return it for a visx 16 or 30? How would YOU spool your choice up?
How would you spool up a visx 20?

And might you be able to also recommend some rods you like for any of them? I'm not too concerned about the rod. Going to head over to a tackle shop in SD or meltons up in anaheim to pull on some and pick their brains. Just a couple recommendations of what I might like to pull on while there. Pretty sure I don't want a rod shorter than 7'6 because running around the anchor with a short rod can be quite a bitch.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Sounds like you have already seen the posts showing my rigging style.
No doubt more excellent ideas will be posted for you to consider.

Justin Joy

Sep 7, 2019
Vista Ca
Name
Justin
Boat
None
All I can Say is I love my visx 16 I have it spooled with 100 hollow with a loop spliced in the end. paired with a 7 ft UC centaur. This is my flat fall and 80-100 rig...

As you said TunaNorth stated he has seen big ones caught on that reel over 300lbs so. If your going to get the boat up and running keep the 50 and trade the 30 for a 16. for the 50 I plan on going with 130 hollow also when I decide to get one. I really don't have a need for it now. but Some better options I am sure will chime in soon.

Reactions: F0urTw3nt33
Upvote 0

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
I got 2-50, 2-30,1-20 and you don't need the 50 unless it's for kite fishing. My 30 is a straight 130# and the 20 has 100# and 50 yds of 130#.

Reactions: F0urTw3nt33
Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
I have the VISX30 and VISX20. Both of the reels have the same spool height but the 30 it is a slightly wider version of the 20. When playing with the flat fall type of fishing mostly in the dark and dropping deep like up to 500’ why mess with line capacity with a 20 and go with a little more capacity with the 30.

My 30 is a dedicated FF setup with 130 hollow and a short 200# mono top shot with a UC Viper just for the FF fishing. The 20 has 100# hollow and looped to fish 100# on a Viper. I also have a 16VISX for 80# on a Centaur.

These past few years even on a overnite trip you still can tie into a +300 BF. Sure...you can use the VISX16 for FF but unless you are a seasoned fisherman with skills pulling hard and with a “tight” drag, I’d stick to a larger capacity reel for FF type of fishing.

Upvote 0

Eric S

Sep 20, 2018
Fallbrook, California
Name
Eric S.
Boat
-
So ... I have most of them. They all have slight different advantages for all kinds of anglers and multiple fishing styles and locations worldwide. FYI... my dad and I were involved in the design of these reels. Several years ago the head engineer flew from Philly and came out to our shop here in Southern California and for a few days we went over everything... it was really cool, there were a few of us around for those days and there were a lot of things discussed and a lots of notes taken.

Here is how I set mine up ...
20VISX 600yds of JB hollow 100#
30VISX 415yds of JB hollow 100#, then on top of that I put 200yds of JB hollow 130#

I set up my 50VISX to try it for Giant Bluefin in PEI .... I liked it and my dad was not so keen on it. He preferred the 70VIS for Giants ... We were wanting extra capacity so here is how we set them up... if I was to do it again for SD long range fishing I'd have put more 130# and less 100# ... but here is what I did and it works flawlessly.

50VISX 500yds of JB hollow 100# and on top 400yds of JB hollow 130# ... we got a 900# BFT and a 950# BFT ... I got one and my dad got the other...

... back to original post, sorry I got off topic ....

If I was fishing local this season and I wanted to get a big BFT ... I'd personally have a 20VISX and a 50VISX (kite outfit) ... also by the way if any of you have problems turning the handle we made lower low speed for all of these reels.

-my 2 cents-
Eric S

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
So ... I have most of them. They all have slight different advantages for all kinds of anglers and multiple fishing styles and locations worldwide. FYI... my dad and I were involved in the design of these reels. Several years ago the head engineer flew from Philly and came out to our shop here in Southern California and for a few days we went over everything... it was really cool, there were a few of us around for those days and there were a lot of things discussed and a lots of notes taken.

Here is how I set mine up ...
20VISX 600yds of JB hollow 100#
30VISX 415yds of JB hollow 100#, then on top of that I put 200yds of JB hollow 130#

I set up my 50VISX to try it for Giant Bluefin in PEI .... I liked it and my dad was not so keen on it. He preferred the 70VIS for Giants ... We were wanting extra capacity so here is how we set them up... if I was to do it again for SD long range fishing I'd have put more 130# and less 100# ... but here is what I did and it works flawlessly.

50VISX 500yds of JB hollow 100# and on top 400yds of JB hollow 130# ... we got a 900# BFT and a 950# BFT ... I got one and my dad got the other...

... back to original post, sorry I got off topic ....

If I was fishing local this season and I wanted to get a big BFT ... I'd personally have a 20VISX and a 50VISX (kite outfit) ... also by the way if any of you have problems turning the handle we made lower low speed for all of these reels.

-my 2 cents-
Eric S

Wow, you got 900 and 950-pounders on a 50VISX!
Very good news, since of course the 50VISX is one of the most popular kite reels for SoCal bluefin chasers.
It was proven last year that there are 400-pounders in the SoCal bluefin population, and extremely credible captains have reported that they have seen 500 pounders here.
I guess its only a matter of time!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Eric S

Getting a bit off topic, but I was also present for that remarkable day.
PENN's chief engineer [Eric Baisch] flew out from Philadelphia, and we went over to the Sheets facility first thing in the morning.
We spent the whole morning just talking about fishing. Cal and Eric Sheets, Bob Hoose, and I had plenty to say about what we needed the reels to do, and Eric Baisch mostly listened and took notes.
We had an excellent lunch at a very nice little local Mexican restaurant.
After lunch, Cal and Baisch sat down next to each other, Baisch fired up his laptop, and linked it to Cal's CAD system.
Then those two started into intense "Engineering Speak".
I was left totally in the dust, and Bob Hoose just decided to go home.
After 4-5 hours of intense discussion and computer linkup between Eric Baisch and Cal, the laptop got closed up, and Baisch flew home to Philly on the redeye.
I suppose in the era of Covid, the whole thing could have been done remotely, but I feel very privileged to have taken part in the process.
It still took another year for the completed VISX series of reels to be debuted at ICAST.

Upvote 0

F0urTw3nt33

Jul 1, 2014
Name
Four
Boat
Gus Sea 21'
Thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge. Please feel free to go off topic as much as you would like 👍
I absolutely love the fishing stories as well as your 2 cents!

Upvote 0

F0urTw3nt33

Jul 1, 2014
Name
Four
Boat
Gus Sea 21'
Heading over to the tackle store today. Pukahd brought up a great point about line capacity especially when you are not very experienced with a tight drag and pulling hard on these fish. I've pulled on some monster sharks and Goliath groupers off the FL coast but those fights don't last as long as a big pissed off tuna, and my dad will probably need that extra line. I'm going to go with a 20 and 30 for now. Hoping they have 100 jb hollow to fill the 20. Then I'll hopefully do the 30 with 100 jb stepped up to 130# for a hundred or so yards similar to Eric S. With the sightings of 400 and 500 pound fish the 16 however adequate does scare me a little with capacity. I'll be using the 20 and my dad will use the 30. I will be getting a 16 later down the road probably to fish 80 (these reels are so pretty and smooth I'm addicted.) Thanks for the responses once again!

Reactions: hhal and pukahd
Upvote 0