just got back from alaska!

Discussion in 'Anywhere Fishing Reports' started by alantani, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Mighty Shellback Advertiser

Name:
    Andy Mezirow
    Boat:
    Gray Light ( Alaska) / First Light ( Kona)
    Alan is a fishng machine - every night until 11pm and the first one to the boat in the morning....

It was a fun trip. Those guys were awsome fishermen.

The Marauder - actually a Yo Zuri Bonita, and the Penn 50's are for catching Salmon Sharks.

I troll the jigs until I mark the sharks then we drift with live herring.

The take on the trolling lures is exciting. I also troll with bait-a-matics, Williamson bonitas, and the Ballyhoods with herring inside, depending on how deep the sharks are and the time of year.

The Accurate 665's are for bait fishing halibut

We drift and jig scampi's and iron with Avet mx and lx's with 50 pound spectra and a 80 pound top shot.

Salmon - Newell 229's that Alan overhauled and greased the drags ( they work great now)

We spent a hour shark fishing on this trip but the crew wanted to drift and jig more bottom fish so we bagged it and got back to the faster action.

2. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    there's no doubt. this was absolutely the best fishing trip that i have ever been on. remember, this is long range fishing, alaska style. the difference between this and a day boat out of seward is the same as a 5-day trip to the 'lupe or cedros versus a day boat out of san diego. i remember the captain saying that the long range trips opened up 180 miles of coastline that would not normally be accessable to day boats. i went there to catch ling cod. i came away realizing that halibut fishing offered the greater challenge.

overall, i think i did pretty good on the week. i only busted out the insert on one rod tip, i only trashed one reel, and i only hit the skipper in the head with a fishing weight one time (that last one had me worried!) can't wait until next year. we may have to get two boats and take over the entire lodge.

3. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    from northern california, a 5 day san diego charter can be pulled off for $2k. that includes driving down and coming back with up to 1000 pounds of whole fish that you cut up at home.

i'm still adding up the damage, but i think alaska is around $3k if you book early (and i did not). an alaskan long range trip requires air fare, extra lodging and fish processing to bring home 100-200 pounds of filet. here are photo's of a pair of 50 pound boxes. you can bring home two as checked luggage. your personal gear has to go "carry on." any extra checked items are $50 each.

[​IMG]

for the ill prepared, you all know that a 150 pound yellowfin tuna can bring even a strong man to his knees. a 150 pound halibut is much easier fight, but what the halibut lacks in fight, the alaskan wilderness more than makes up for in beauty. it is a sight to behold!

4. osito

osito H.W. and Myself are a ...

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    next year?
    Wow brother your story has inspired me to make the trip up north in my future. Great post and pics!!!!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

5. Kevin J. Oliver

Kevin J. Oliver K.O.

Name:
    K.O.
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler "Yahoo Boy"
    awesome trip alan, thanks for sharing the info ......

6. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I fishing trip like this to Alaska is now officialy written down on my bucket list.