Just got a few Avet HXW raptors, need advise

Feb 2, 2019
charleston, sc
Name
Brennan Mahoney
Boat
33 Cannady
I just got a few Avet HXW raptors and had a few questions about them.

First off I fish the east coast primarily trolling and occasionally live-baiting/chunking. Most of my fishing I fish my drags under 20 pounds, but will bump them up to 30 every once in a while.

I am deciding how to spool these reels and would like to know what some reel world numbers are. I am debating between 80 or 100 pound braid. I want to have enough room for 100 yds of 60lb mono with some space so an inexperienced angler wasn't laying the line perfectly it would be ok. Could I get 500yds of 100lb as backing? or would I be better off dropping down to 80lb?

I am also planning on using hollow-core to spool the reels, what are the down sides to using hollow-core?

Lastly do you fish your avets how they come out of the box or do you like to open them up and service them first?

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
JB and I think Izorline, the 100lb is a slightly smaller diameter than 80lb. Either one will work and either one can more than handle 30lbs of drag.

I had mine serviced first but like Adam said out of the box would probably work great too.

Reactions: InDeepShip

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I am deciding how to spool these reels and would like to know what some reel world numbers are. I am debating between 80 or 100 pound braid. I want to have enough room for 100 yds of 60lb mono with some space so an inexperienced angler wasn't laying the line perfectly it would be ok. Could I get 500yds of 100lb as backing? or would I be better off dropping down to 80lb?
I have about 700 yards of JB 100 Hollow 12 carrier on my HXW Raptor, so your set up should work. 100# 12 carrier is thinner than JB80 so as stated above, you can put more 100# on your reel. I heard that JB is now making 100# 16 carrier. If that's the case, you would be better off using the 80#.

Last edited:

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
I have about 700 yards of JB 100 Hollow 12 strand on my HXW Raptor, so your set up should work. 100# 12 strand is thinner than JB80 so as stated above, you can put more 100# on your reel. I heard that JB is now making 100# 16 strand. If that's the case, you would be better off using the 80#.
Damn should have spooled mine up with what you did. I got about 550 yards of 100lb hollowcore on mine and 80lb fluoro topshot. Not sure what brand of hollow I had put on

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
I just got a few Avet HXW raptors and had a few questions about them.

First off I fish the east coast primarily trolling and occasionally live-baiting/chunking. Most of my fishing I fish my drags under 20 pounds, but will bump them up to 30 every once in a while.

I am also planning on using hollow-core to spool the reels, what are the down sides to using hollow-core?

Lastly do you fish your avets how they come out of the box or do you like to open them up and service them first?
They work just fine out of the box

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Damn should have spooled mine up with what you did. I got about 550 yards of 100lb hollowcore on mine and 80lb fluoro topshot. Not sure what brand of hollow I had put on
I just got a HXW three speed and put some Phenix 100# 16 carrier hollow and got only 600 yards.

Last edited:

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
I know you plan on spooling up with hollow core, but figure this will give you some further perspective.

My Avet HXW Raptor took 900yds of solid 80lb Berkley Pro Spec braid. The line breaks at 117lbs, it is an excellent option over using 100lb braid, especially from the line capacity perspective.

The Avet reels work great right out of the box (Avet has excellent QC and their product is solid), but you can still service them or have them serviced if you want if that is what you prefer.

Reactions: Olddog8 and Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I know you plan on spooling up with hollow core, but figure this will give you some further perspective.

My Avet HXW Raptor took 900yds of solid 80lb Berkley Pro Spec braid. The line breaks at 117lbs, it is an excellent option over using 100lb braid, especially from the line capacity perspective.

The Avet reels work great right out of the box (Avet has excellent QC and their product is solid), but you can still service them or have them serviced if you want if that is what you prefer.
I find it interesting how different manufacturers make their braid. Very thin line on the Berkley Pro Spec solid. Dyneema, 8 carriers. I think their hollow is 12 or 16. Same as the other manufacturers. Thanks for the information.

fishn1003

May 12, 2017
Orange
Name
Steven
Boat
n/a
never serviced prior to using, if you want to blow money service them 2xs, then fish them LOL

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
I just got a few Avet HXW raptors ... I am deciding how to spool these reels and would like to know what some reel world numbers are...
not much real that this HXW 100# solid to brim:

hxwline.jpg

i'm not sure what tearing them apart new out of box will give you other than confidence ... seems like taking a new car in for a tune up and brake job to me (great if you are a pro)