Just got a few Avet HXW raptors, need advise

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by brennan mahoney, Mar 5, 2019.

1. brennan mahoney

brennan mahoney Newbie

Name:
    Brennan Mahoney
    Boat:
    33 Cannady
    I just got a few Avet HXW raptors and had a few questions about them.

First off I fish the east coast primarily trolling and occasionally live-baiting/chunking. Most of my fishing I fish my drags under 20 pounds, but will bump them up to 30 every once in a while.

I am deciding how to spool these reels and would like to know what some reel world numbers are. I am debating between 80 or 100 pound braid. I want to have enough room for 100 yds of 60lb mono with some space so an inexperienced angler wasn't laying the line perfectly it would be ok. Could I get 500yds of 100lb as backing? or would I be better off dropping down to 80lb?

I am also planning on using hollow-core to spool the reels, what are the down sides to using hollow-core?

Lastly do you fish your avets how they come out of the box or do you like to open them up and service them first?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    I usually send them in for a service but I'm sure they will so just fine out of the box my mxls are bulletproof

Olddog8 likes this.
  3. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    JB and I think Izorline, the 100lb is a slightly smaller diameter than 80lb. Either one will work and either one can more than handle 30lbs of drag.

I had mine serviced first but like Adam said out of the box would probably work great too.

InDeepShip likes this.
  4. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I have about 700 yards of JB 100 Hollow 12 carrier on my HXW Raptor, so your set up should work. 100# 12 carrier is thinner than JB80 so as stated above, you can put more 100# on your reel. I heard that JB is now making 100# 16 carrier. If that's the case, you would be better off using the 80#.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Olddog8 and Tony O'Connell like this.
  5. ReelWhite

ReelWhite Local Hooker

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    260 Sea Ray
    Damn should have spooled mine up with what you did. I got about 550 yards of 100lb hollowcore on mine and 80lb fluoro topshot. Not sure what brand of hollow I had put on

6. ReelWhite

ReelWhite Local Hooker

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    260 Sea Ray
    They work just fine out of the box

Cubeye likes this.
  7. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I just got a HXW three speed and put some Phenix 100# 16 carrier hollow and got only 600 yards.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  8. Composite

Composite Member

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    I know you plan on spooling up with hollow core, but figure this will give you some further perspective.

My Avet HXW Raptor took 900yds of solid 80lb Berkley Pro Spec braid. The line breaks at 117lbs, it is an excellent option over using 100lb braid, especially from the line capacity perspective.

The Avet reels work great right out of the box (Avet has excellent QC and their product is solid), but you can still service them or have them serviced if you want if that is what you prefer.

Olddog8 and Cubeye like this.
  9. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I find it interesting how different manufacturers make their braid. Very thin line on the Berkley Pro Spec solid. Dyneema, 8 carriers. I think their hollow is 12 or 16. Same as the other manufacturers. Thanks for the information.

10. fishn1003

fishn1003 Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    n/a
    never serviced prior to using, if you want to blow money service them 2xs, then fish them LOL

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  11. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    not much real that this HXW 100# solid to brim:

hxwline.jpg

i'm not sure what tearing them apart new out of box will give you other than confidence ... seems like taking a new car in for a tune up and brake job to me (great if you are a pro)