eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
All this technical talk!! Here's the real question, what are you replacing it with? I want to replace my big chief, but haven't decided what to replace it with. The Masterbuilt's look okay for the price.
Replace it with something that won’t catch on fire, like a smokehouse!

Reactions: South Sounder

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Just to put this one to bed, I still stand by my original comments. With purely resistive loads like a heating element in a Big Chief, when you have a bad connection in the circuit causing higher resistance the total amp draw will not increase and may actually drop a bit. Your breakers will not keep the thing from going up in smoke. Now where you have a load that is inductive like motors, a bad connection causing voltage drop will definetely cause the circuit to draw higher amperage. I think this is what Bud is talking about as house loads are a mix of these different type of loads and a loose connection in a breaker panel can cause higher amp draw and hopefully pop a breaker. Also if you have parallel conductors in a circuit and a bad connection on one, the other conductors amperage will increase. I know this bores most of you to tears, but bottom line is keep those electric smokers away from combustibel materials.

Last edited:

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
4 and counting!
Fuck Electricity, I'm gonna break out my Kerosene Radio and listen to some tunes!

Ducker!