slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
Don’t go right now. Not worth it. I’m running a Covid clinic temporarily (by phone), screening/treating patients. It’s alive and well, although appears to be tapering off. Fourth of July/protests got us. Dumb asses gathered and not in a safe way. A lot of people are walking around with mild symptoms and no fever. You know some hard core fisherman aren’t gonna let a little headache or scratchy throat stop them...
I’ve been fishing native trout in local streams as an alternative. Almost stepped on a rattler the other day, so pick your poison carefully lol.

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
At first I was leery about going out and also trying to do my part and stay away to help NOT spread it, now this shit is everywhere and your just as likely to get it in your everyday life, unless you really lock down. So my thoughts and have changed to, I may as well do what I like to do, and that means fishing.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I saw an article about what type of mask works best.The neck gaiters everybody seems to be wearing ? Article says they're 110% ineffective and make transmission worse by breaking down particles even smaller and causing them to be even more airborne.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I saw an article about what type of mask works best.The neck gaiters everybody seems to be wearing ? Article says they're 110% ineffective and make transmission worse by breaking down particles even smaller and causing them to be even more airborne.

I’ve got a couple of gaiters that have added an additional membrane in the facial area for that very reason. Our local fly shop had them.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Much appreciated! It has been a difficult year for most of us. Last year open heart surgery, this year Covid 19, too very sad summers for me, and less fishing than I could ever believe. I should be doing much more, not less and not getting any younger, limits my opportunities. Funny how life works, I have more time, enough money and can't do what I want to do? A bummer.

I hope that yours and your families health is good. IIRC your wife was going through some stuff herself. Prayers for healing and good health.

Just one of life's cruel jokes is the enough time/money thing. Like many I'm in the same boat.

When I get my boat up and running you'll always be welcome. A couple more months and it should be going. In the middle of new fuel/water/holding tanks right now.

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
The great thing about where we live, you still have a choice. Hopefully that sticks around for a few hundred more years!

Choices are great. I like the idea that people have a choice and businesses do too, so they can enforce a mask requirement of they want and people who don't like it can exercise their choice to go elsewhere. Nothing personal, just people exercising their choices.

I always have trouble with this scenario though. Local governments (like the ones that make mask mandates) require women to wear tops outside, but not men. That's the government telling people what to wear. But, topless women in public doesn't seem to evoke the same fervent debate that mask mandates do.

Why is that? I always thought of the topless bans as an equal protection issue that nobody seems to care about. But, now we are arguing as a nation whether the government can force you to wear something on your face. But, it as always forced half the population to wear something on their chest and there just wasn't a lot of fanfare about it.

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Boat
340Z SeaVee
Choices are great. I like the idea that people have a choice and businesses do too, so they can enforce a mask requirement of they want and people who don't like it can exercise their choice to go elsewhere. Nothing personal, just people exercising their choices.

I always have trouble with this scenario though. Local governments (like the ones that make mask mandates) require women to wear tops outside, but not men. That's the government telling people what to wear. But, topless women in public doesn't seem to evoke the same fervent debate that mask mandates do.

Why is that? I always thought of the topless bans as an equal protection issue that nobody seems to care about. But, now we are arguing as a nation whether the government can force you to wear something on your face. But, it as always forced half the population to wear something on their chest and there just wasn't a lot of fanfare about it.

My choice is to have a clothing-optional rule on my boat.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk

Because people don’t need to see an 85 year old woman wandering around with 50 year old plastic surgery gone bad boobs. That’s my guess. As for the mask aspect, Americans are by nature anti government. My generation (Z) unfortunately loves the government and being bent over, but older generations don’t, It’s in a way, the last straw for them. They’ve been bent over long enough, and I wish my generation wasn’t so stupid and would follow suit (if you can’t tell I’m extremely anti mask and anti Big government)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
I hope that yours and your families health is good. IIRC your wife was going through some stuff herself. Prayers for healing and good health.

Just one of life's cruel jokes is the enough time/money thing. Like many I'm in the same boat.

When I get my boat up and running you'll always be welcome. A couple more months and it should be going. In the middle of new fuel/water/holding tanks right now.

Awesome!

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
I have a 2.5 day on Friday (booked way back in February) that has staterooms but I’m still shitting bricks and haven’t been able to fully commit in my brain yet
Go with your gut feeling. Fishing is fun but its hard to justify your health for it, when the trip is over your going to be paranoid more than now if your really worried about it. If your not worried then go!

Reactions: Tunaslam and marlyn
Upvote 0

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
I am 62 and did a full day with bunks a couple of weeks ago to test the waters and was fine. Fishermen were COVID conscious and I washed my hands every chance I got. When I got home I stripped and showered careful not to bring any germs into the house in an effort to protect my wife, leaving all my stuff in the garage until I could come back and start sanitizing them. We make it a habit if one of us goes out mingling with others to do this sanitizing thing. Going on a 2 day and sharing a state room with my bestie this weekend. Ahhh a 2 day at Catalina for BFT I am guessing. Brings back memories of me catching first BFT about 5 years ago couple miles off DP.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Like so many things, there has to be something in the middle, staying at home, in bed, afraid to answer the door on the one extreme and Devil may care on the other. As so many of you said, it makes a hell of a difference if you are young and strong and if you are 60 and up, with some health issues. For ME-at 65 I go now on my own boat--only. For now, but hope that will change very very very soon.

Reactions: Tunaslam
Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Oh FFS. Scientific studies on viral shedding of asymptomatic infected individuals are published fairly routinely now. Stay in your lane.
Likewise. Don’t be a scared little sheep. It’s all BS and will disappear November 4th when Trump wins again. Or are you voting for pervert Joe and the half breed Harris?

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
More boats should offer limited loads. This filling the boat up with 28 or even 35 people plus crew is not ok. I’d like to see a few bigger boats with 18 or less. Otherwise take the appropriate vitamins, stay out of the galley, and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Green Ogre

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2009
Orygun
Name
Shrek
Boat
Willie Predator, Learned Dory

Hey I'm sorry but I gotta toss this in the big steaming pile of ever changing recommendations for the "authorities"

So first we are told that any kind of face covering is better than nothing at all. Sneeze into your elbow etc...

Not we are being told a neck based face cover is worse than no cover at all.

You wonder why people are incredulous?

I went on a light load 3 day on Shogun last month. Took a deck chair. Spent most my time on deck. Ate in the galley after others were done. Washed my hands a lot. Luckily me and my buddy each had our own staterooms.

I dont feel as good about being on a typical 1.5 day boat with more people in less space sleeping in a common bunkroom. But after a couple of months of 25 or so boats running I am not hearing any horror stories...so....I will probably be on my Pac Queen charter on October.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
Likewise. Don’t be a scared little sheep. It’s all BS and will disappear November 4th when Trump wins again. Or are you voting for pervert Joe and the half breed Harris?

Pretty ugly post. Wow, you are a shitty human.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.