Just bought a Traeger but re-thinking.

Discussion in 'Fishing and Hunting Cooking Recipes' started by Shimano Penn, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    So I just went out this morning a bought Traeger Tailgater Elite 20 at HD for $450. I have not yet unboxed it, I'm wondering if I want to. The reason is that I was watching you tube videos on smoking and one guy says that you need a "dedicated" smoker for fish as you will never get the fishy smell out and any chicken, ribs etc will taste like fish. Intuitively that makes sense to me. Is it true? Of course I want to smoke fish but I'm NOT willing to dedicate a $450 smoker to fish only. Thoughts?

2. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n jäger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    It's BS! I've cooked fish in mine, along with everything else. I don't get fish smell or taste from it. I have the same model, and it's been great.

The wood you use will have a greater impact on the flavor profile of the grill. I would break it in with hickory or apple, cooking chicken or pork. After a few cooks on it, then try fish. Alder is awesome with fish.

ScaleyOne and ripped like this.
  3. JoshInSD

JoshInSD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
    Never experienced that issue.

4. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    Yup. BS. We smoke everything in ours. Never had fish carry over to other meat's.

ScaleyOne and mike82 like this.
  5. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Okay well that's what I wanted to hear. Setting it up today. Must have 20+ pounds of YT fillets from yesterday on the Grande so first smoke will be fish even if that's not the best idea. Dan I know you have plenty of freezer space but I'm concerned about "inventory shrinkage":p You can be a guinea pig for the first batch though:D

Black-is-Back likes this.
  6. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I don't have a Traeger, but do use a MasterBuild for cold and hot smoking of all sorts of fish, poultry, beef and pig, and have never had any aftertaste from any other meat. On the other hand, chicken would probably taste a little better with a hint of tuna flavor.

7. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I've never had a problem with my traditional smoker with a fish taste in other meats.I will say don't smoke fish and any other meat at the same time.The other meat will taste fishy.I did pork ribs and yellowtail at the same time.Bad idea.Fish was fine,ribs not so much.

colemans224 and Arima-bob like this.
  8. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    IMO...The only issue is getting the smoker at a low enough temperature to get a good smoke flavor. The small smokers just can't hold a low enough temp. That is why the larger smokers have the cold smoke attachments. If I could go back in time, I would not have bought the smaller smoker.

I have not noticed any issues with smell. I have smoked everything from fish, beef, pork, chicken and turkey. I will be smoking pork ribs tomorrow.

9. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Thanks guys. If anyone is interested I'm posting up my old charcoal smoker I guess in Household Junk?

10. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    My wife is asian and hates fish which sucks. I cooked her chicken 6 inches from a swordfish steak. She had no idea. Fish was delicious by the way.

11. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Chicken is said to taste like tuna anyways........ uhhhh wait, maybe it's the other way around :D

The unknown fisherman:p:

12. BloodyL

BloodyL Throwing everything I got

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    The Beach
    BS
    Carry on!

13. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    What temp is low enough? I often smoke meat (pork for about 3 hours, tri-tip or other thick cuts for an hour or so), at about 100 degrees -- not hot enough to cook, but hot enough to spoil quickly, in my MB. Anyway, the MB is pretty small (about 4 12"x12" racks), but I think it is OK for cold smoking. But I do take the meat straight from the refrig to the smoker.

14. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian

So, if I understand what you are saying.....

You eat your wife's tuna and give her 6 inches of white meat......

15. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Didn't seem to be working right, called tech support. The manual that comes with it is pure BS. Tech says "yea, they really to get around to updating that."
    Anyway seems to be fine now, changed the setting on the auger.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  16. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    Referring to fish only. I would love to be able to smoke around 150 - 165. Most of the smaller smokers lowest temp is around 200. I can get mine down to 185 - 190 (RecTec grill). Don't get me wrong, I still smoke fish in it, I just know it would be better at a lower temperature.

17. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Traeger tech said 140-180. Mine seems to be pretty steady at right around 165. He had me change a factory setting on the auger on/ off cycle. Apparanetly I can raise or lower the temp by doing that.

18. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

How do you do that?

19. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    He says not all models are the same so this may or may not apply to yours. See if there is a tiny hole to the right of the digital temp display, mine was covered by a little plastic dot. With the unit turned on and temp display showing a reading gently stick a paper clip into that hole, you should feel a little micro switch go "click" and the temp readout should change to a "P" followed by a number 0,1,2,3,4,or 5. Factory default is P2. The P stands for pause, the pause in the auger cycle. Raising the P increases the pause so fewer pellets are delivered to the fire pot, thus reducing temperature. Lower P value raises temp, higher value lowers it. He cautioned not to go beyond P4 as the fire may go out.
    Anyway mine is a POS, it won't hold a constant temp and goes into low temp alarm a few times during the cook. The guy "thinks" it's the RDT probe and is sending me a new one but I'm thinking I'll just take it back to HD. Nice thing about the depot, you can return anything :D

20. Arima-bob

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Sorry yours is being a turd. I bought mine used and had been awesome thus far. I use it quite a bit.