Just booked first lr trip royal star here I come

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by irob2, Apr 14, 2015.

1. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Finally pulled the trigger on a whim, wild hair what ever. Just booked royal star 8 day june 5 aside from a kick ass time what should I expect?? I figured this trip would be a safe bet considering the fish are close aready and a boat with a good rep. After looking into terminal tackle recommendations shit I need alot . Any thoughts would be appreciated

2. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    They will take care of you. If you want to borrow a rig hit me up a couple of weeks before your trip. I have no problem helping out a new long range angler.

Auggie and Tim Turis like this.
  3. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    YFT, BFT, YT, Dorado & possibly Wahoo will be targeted if conditions are right. Some fluorocarbon, hooks, jigs and bait catchers are all you need for terminal tackle. Buy the weights on board if needed. The crew and food will be very good.

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

sierraazuel likes this.
  4. raw66

raw66 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    It was exciting to watch Tim and crew, fabricate out of PVC, burlap, a whole lot of glue, zip ties, 1200 lbs of cement, miles of rope, empty 55 gallon drums cut in two for cement anchors and deploy some (two) artificial reefs miles and miles and miles from anywhere last Oct. The secret coordinates of their fleet of submerged reefs is a closely guarded secret and I suppose if the fishing's slow they will find their way to their private sanctuaries for a guaranteed payday of the fish that will call these newly submerged platforms their home.

Maybe i'm not suppose to mention this but hey im sure it will work to the fishermans advantage in the years to come riding on the Star. Im sure other boats have done similar (secret weapon) type stuff to keep the fish comin over the rail. I hope you become the beneficiary of the fish that are caught at these "secret locations". Ask them about it.

bravomeister likes this.
  5. Chasntuna

Chasntuna Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    The one I choose to ride.
    Great boat, great crew. You won't be disappointed. As Jeff stated, a good assortment of hooks, a few jigs, get lead from the boat, same for anything else you might have forgotten. There's also a good selection of gear to rent on the boat if needed.

6. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Thanks for the replies the anticipation is killing me aleady

7. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    Everyone says get weight on board, but I think you should bring minimum amount. Maybe 1 or 2 each of 12/16 oz for dropper loop, and several smaller pieces to use for live baiting (rubber band connections). Another favorite is having a good BFT jig for early morning --> love catching that nice BFT to get the day rolling while other anglers are "macking" down Drew's/Jeff's breakfast.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    a good shot to maybe get some good deal's on Tackle an info is to go to Day at the Dock's this Sunday
    a lot off Pro's and Capitan's will be their

finishright likes this.
  9. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Have a wonderful time! I suggest that you budget a couple hundred dollars for having your catch handled by one of the excellent fish processors near the dock. You may very well end up back at the dock with enough whole frozen fish to fill the back of a pickup, and you will NOT want to deal with them when you get back home. I've used them all and been happy each time, just call one.

10. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Awesome and welcome to your new life long addiction. First LR trip, you'll probably have 1 tackle bag with just enough stuff to get by. When you go on your 2nd LR trip in 2016...you'll quickly realize what you were missing on the 1st trip, hence you will add another bag. You get my drift......it only gets worse. Just make sure you have enough of the basics - mono & fluoro (20lb-50lb), extra spectra (30lb - 50lb), hooks (1/0-5/0), few jigs (tady's, salas, bait wraps). You should be able to get by with around 6 setups (4 bait / 2 jig). No need to bring any trolling outfits or gear...use the boat's. Be sure to bring some slickers and light wind breaker, just in case you run into some weather or need to make bait in the evening. Nothing worse than being soaking wet all day. Bring some antibiotics and ear plugs as well.

Good luck and most importantly....Have fun, laugh and keep a super positive attitude. Don't be afraid to ask the crew and passengers questions if you're not getting bit.

11. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    You will not be disappointed riding the Royal Star. Great skippers and crew, comfortable boat, and Drew in the galley puts out superb food (along with incredible homemade soups and fresh baked bread every night with dinner)...personally, the best chow I've ever had on a LR boat. I fished the boat for the first time last November on an 11 day with Brian at the helm, and was really impressed with their operation. Regarding the artificial reefs noted above that the crew has built, it was middle of the morning and Brian came over the loudspeaker and said we were going to go check out one of the "bags." I'm like..."what"? I asked one of the regulars on the boat "WTF is a "bag"? When he explained it to me, I'm thinking to myself...what an F'ing brilliant idea! We pull up to large, rectangular chunk of burlap floating on the surface, anchored to the bottom. Wasn't plugged with fish, but caught a couple of nice dodos off the thing.

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on the trip!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    chef tom likes this.
  13. raw66

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Not mention in the sense that others could determine where these things were actually placed. Came out wrong in my description. Sorry. Secret profile? Age, zip code, I didn't fill out the "tell us about yourself" part.

14. raw66

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one
    Not mention in the sense that others could determine where these things were actually placed. Came out wrong in my description. Sorry. Secret profile? Age, zip code, I didn't fill out the "tell us about yourself" part.

15. raw66

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one

16. raw66

Name:
    Gary M
    Boat:
    A nice one

17. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    This is a must. We had a first timer a few years ago not have his fish processed..he had about 6 or 7 hundred pounds of whole fish in the back of his truck warped in plastic tarps & a shit pot of ice . He lived in NorCal don't know how it worked out....I'm thinking it was a train wreck!!

18. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, you're just going to leave it there without consulting the office? Bonehead maneuver.

Secret profile. You have limited who can view your profile page.
    Can't send "start conversation" the best way to communicate on touchy subjects.

19. bouttime

bouttime On the grounds,where are you??

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Royal Star since 1997,Just a loyal customer.2120Parker Bout time
    Good choice Bro, as I said last night the boys will take care of you and pop's, don't trip on heavy gear the boat has it or you have a full garage of heavy stuff to pick from me.

you on it this weekend??

20. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I really like the Royal Star. I learned some things from Chef Jeff. If he's cooking say hi for me. That dude can really prepare fish.