Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
My new best friend at Precision Marine Hardware, John, came through big time with new 20' riggers in just two weeks despite all of Cabo calling him off the hook to prioritize theirs for the tournaments. He made me a sweet set of Hawaiian extra stiff poles. They are much better than the old Pompanettes and they are 1\2 the price.

Last night about 10:00 my friend Shanoe convinced me today was a perfect chance to try them out and last minute we made a plan to do an 8-3 local trip just to see how they ran.

Slack tide was 10-11 am so we slept in and got on the troll in the Coronado Canyon thinking we needed to head south to stay in 73 degree water based on the FD chart. Plan was to troll outside the Coronados to the 425 by 10:00. Water was 73 on S9 so we deployed what's been hot for us all year, 2 1656s on each rigger, one PB, one Blue/pink, a striper candy in one corner in dorado and a big Hi5 Cabo slant in the other corner in lime green/ blue with a small slant in blue/silver with a white/pink inside skirt on the shotgun way back.

Got set up, after re-rigging the riggers that were too long and just as we crossed the west edge of the S9, we get zipped on the striper candy in the corner and then on the PB 1656 in the rigger. Now that's a good set of riggers! Only fished them 10 mins and we raise a fish! Dropped back bait but no go. We're still stoked. Water blue and 73 so we make a decision to fish the slack on the 9 rather than tack south.

We boxed that zone a few times for nothing and proceeded north just outside the 9. Only one other boat working that zone. At about 10, right on schedule, we come up on a nice paddy about 1/2 way up the 9 near the border and we have another fish in the spread, first on the shotgun, then on the PB 1656 on the rigger. We dropped back on 20# and hook up on a big fish that nearly spooled a JX narrow with about 500 yards of spectra backing and a 20# top shot with 9' of 40# fluoro and another 2' of 60# fluoro after the swivel. We give chase after clearing the jigs and 2 hours later we released a big striper., might have been 200. Big fish and a great challenge on this light tackle. Hook was just wrapped on his bill, never penetrated. Amazing we didn't lose this fish. Probably because he only jumped once which was why we thought he fought so long as well.

We put the jigs back out and this time I added a big bird on the shotgun. Not 10 mins later we have another striper all jacked up chasing the bird. He was literally vibrating slashing the jig behind that bird until he hooked up on a perfect top of the mouth hook set. Fought him for 20 mins and released another 150+ nice fish on 60#. The mental image of that fish vibrating like the bird slashing the jig is something i hope sustains me all winter. What a sight.

We kept at it for a couple more hours and then headed in to clean the boat. More guys showed up in that zone and we heard another couple of boats had fish as well outside the N9 just above the border. That was also where there was a 1 degree temp break so it seems the fish are on that water structure.

On the radio we heard good dope on a dodo paddy NE of the 390. Another friend of ours had a limits for the boat on an open water dorado stop near the 213. All nice fish, 25#. At the dock another friend said he had dodo limits today about 8 miles west of the 302 on a nice paddy. Looks like the dodos run from west of the 302 south through the 390 and down to the 213. Guy on the 390 paddy also said there were nicer yellows and YFT on that same paddy.

Hope this helps. Season is still really solid. A lot of marlin within sight of downtown SD. Wide open dodos on paddies for 20 miles. What is better than that?

I'll take 2 hour battles on marlin in sight of dowtown SD any day.

Upvote 0

Munnster

Sep 17, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Name
Michael Munn
Boat
20 foot, Searay
Sweet report. Hopefully the conditions with hold up for another week or two so I can get back out again. Your report has me frothing at the mouth to go fishing!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I clicked "like" like three times.:)

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Very cool report bro, and a great read after a long day at work, except it kind of pisses me off, because I want to be out there BAD!!!

Back to work tomorrow...... oh life is so good right now! LOL

Congrats on a quick & great day of carpn'

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Dr Jekyl

Skipper
Jan 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Sean
Boat
Whaler Outrage 190 Aimee's Outrage
Nice report!

Larry's fish took the 20 lb drop back and split never breaking the surface for 2 hours so not much video to show except an exhausting stalemate until the marlin finally gave up 2 hours later. Was awesome. Had to learn how to drive a cabo 35 real quick! Little different than my outrage 190.

What a great day! Hope you enjoy the video.

Shanoe

Last edited:
Reactions: Larmo
Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Great job! We've been enjoying the epic bite as well. Love Bart's 1656.

Reactions: Lucky B
Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
What's amazing is that they're wanting the 14" lures and alot of commotion. Very aggressive fish this year, which is good because we want to have a shot if there's a blue around.

Upvote 0

twotrack

habitual scopolamine abuser
Dec 14, 2011
San Clemente
Name
Scott
Boat
Sin Barco
Way to get the job done, gents. Beautiful fish, and I love seeing your new 'riggers with flags flapping on day one of their deployment.

Upvote 0

tunacity

Almost A Member
Jun 21, 2003
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
Parker 2110
God I LOVE your boat my absolute dream boat of all time the 35 express is the best boat ever built for so cal.congrats on your day

Upvote 0