Just a tip

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by richardp, Mar 13, 2019.

1. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Ever since DOL added a fee to report a vehicle sale i have refused to pay that BS. I think its absolute garbage fee they added and just so you all know one way to tell if new owner has transferred title is to simply go to DOL website and try to renew tabs. If your plate and name combination gives you an error message then you should have a fairly good (100% i would think) indication that transfer was done relieving you from any possible obligation on that titled vehicle. anyway just a heads up for anyone else that refuses to pay BS report of sale fee.

Nick Rudnick and Genie Aye like this.
  2. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Good info thanks!

3. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Pretty soon your paycheck will just go directly to Washington state and they will issue you an allowance. Thanks lib’rals!

4. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I’m wondering how I get my like button fee!

5. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Here's a real life problem with not reporting the sale however... speaking from experience.

New owner doesn't transfer the tabs and the car gets stolen then impounded.
    Guess who's on the hook for the impound fee's. the registered owner. The impound yard will try to auction the car but if it's stripped and totaled out, they will not get anywhere near the ridiculous impound fee's which can easily add up to hundreds/thousands depending on how long the car sits' in the impound yard. They'll come after the registered owner for the balance.

I agree that the fee is BS but in the event of he above scenario's, the impound fees are way higher.

LJB, fishnazzi, Sea Tiger and 4 others like this.
  6. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Or the $500 in parking tickets I got stiffed with by being "nice" and letting the buyer drive away on my plates.

Sea Tiger, Elkfins and rickstah like this.
  7. rickstah

rickstah Master Baiter

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    No Fuchs
    Yep.. it sucks, but a couple of bucks to prevent future fines or tickets is worth it.

Elkfins and goatram like this.
  8. oldschool 1

oldschool 1 Night Watchman .

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Oldschool 2
    I think you can't renew your drivers license until the impound bill is settled. Do your car deal at the licensing office is the safest way. Be careful out there. Getting that title transferred is very important.

LJB and Elkfins like this.
  9. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    ....and they know that and can create infinitely more of these dilemas

10. Jasongind

Jasongind Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bayliner175BR
    Just fill out and hold the bill of sale. When presented with either of these, or similar scenarios, show the bill of sale. You will be relieved from any liability. I sold a motorcycle, CBR1000RR, a few hours later the guy pulled a gun on someone, ran from the police, bike got impounded, I got the notice. I went to the impound lot, showed the bill of sale with the new owners info, gave them a copy and done.
    A few months later I sold a truck, it got stolen a few days later. I got the impound notice, same outcome.
    A few more months I sold my Ford Ranger, guy moves to Phoenix, racked up over $1,800 worth of red light camera tickets. I got the bill in the mail, sent the bill of sale back and I was relived from any liability.
    There is a legal obligation for the seller to report a sale to the DOL within 5 business days, but I can't find a penalty for not doing so, only for a buyer who does not apply for the transfer/registration within 15/45 days respectively.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    My son reported the sale of a car to one of his friends. When the car wouldn't start after work a few years back in Smokey Point. He just left it there and moved to Kalli. Six months later after the car was totaled and impounded it was found that it was towed previously. Somehow was pulled out of impound and driven around then crashed and reinpounded. My son was notified that he owed the money. He told the state to suck it and showed the receipt. They said thanks and went after the first towing company.

I pay the 5 bucks.

Elkfins and Jasongind like this.
  12. Calis

Calis Salish for "Kingfisher"

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    Yea, stupid libtard fees. BUT........ Was given an old 30 foot boat trailer when doing those things many years ago, and rebuilt it all and was going to turn for cash. Ended up selling to a pretty nice guy. made him a sweetheart deal, I made some bank and got rid of the trailer which had been following me for a bit. All good right. Fortunately and I mean fortunately I Did report the sale, it wasn't timely since he wanted some time but it got recorded a month or so later. Sure enough, guy from Seattle. parked it at his apartment building, accrued parking fees and penalties, stolen not once but twice and recovered, and then finally towed away, by a Highly aggressive Seattle towing company. I got the FIRST notice about 8 months later, guy skipped town (he had some other issues as well) and I was the one they found. Along with Fees, tickets, charges, Maintenance, oh yeah it was large.
    Needless to say found the paperwork, checked with state, and state patrol and licensing, it was messed up but it WAS IN ORDER. Long story short, Told everybody to pack sand and to take the trailer and park her someplace warm. Tow company threatened and weaseled and tried to do end runs around me and the state but eventually were told they better stop as nothing they could do.
    So this was before any fees but $5.00, Bargain!!!!! Sell it for another $10.00, and NEVER TRUST A BUYER to help you out!!!! Just my 02cents

goatram and Elkfins like this.
  13. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    You’ll get the bill for carpool lanes and toll bridges too.

14. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Good grief, those are some testimonials!

It sounds like the take away is: Do the paperwork, pay the money or you will get a whole lot more than just the tip!

TonyG, Barracuda1, FishPimpII and 3 others like this.
  15. bdrlgion

bdrlgion Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    "Mulligan"
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    remind me never to buy anything from you ;)

16. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    The last time around i emailed DOL with report of sale and they replied saying i had to go online to file and pay fee. i replied and said not paying it and figure they have email record of my report which can be used as evidence. I have been down this road before and know what can happen. That is why i check online like the way i showed within the 5 day window. not a big fan of paying BS guberment fees out of fear.

dragonballs likes this.
  17. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Yup I too sent it in without the fee and consider it final. Plus I have the emails about the sale

18. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    Almost happened to us last a year back, Idiots that could not speak english bought our van, as always I got online to report ASAP well they rolled it on 167 after leaving our place. Three days later got a bill from the tow company. I called she could see I reported the sale..
    I think the new fee is BS but it a must do IMO

19. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)

I'm never buying anything from you. LOL

Waterdog~ likes this.
  20. TonyG

TonyG I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Disappointed the thread went to 14 posts before someone said "just the tip". Well-played though!

Odin7 likes this.