Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
P.M. sent. Last long trip of the year, get some! Love the Rooster!

Reactions: hot tuna
Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    If targeting BFT with no YT around, I think I’ll only take 3 setups too.

Torque 25 on a 6470XH for 30-50
    Torque 40 on a 800XXH for 60-80
    VISX16 on a 2x4 for Jigging 100lb

Steve K
    Steve K
    I’ll take another look but I think the only Yellowtail specific terminal tackle I’m bringing is a couple of Salas 6X and a couple of Tady 4/0.

I think it’ll be good to have those available as sometimes these trips can limit early on Bluefin and go chasing Yellows.

Quality problem there, caught limits of Bluefin, gotta find something else to kill.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
    Jan 17, 2007
    Valle del Sol
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Moo
    @Steve K May want to validate. I'm sure most - if not all of us, have seen the threads where guys were questioning the decision to come in early vs stay out for RF/YT if the boat got limits early. Not looking to hijack, and yes, other things were likely at play (i.e. weather, etc.). Just sayin' ... nothing wrong with being curious. 😏

Anyway, best of luck. Looking forward to some intel & pics. I'm headed out again the week you get back. 😁

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    My wife asked the other day if I was getting excited about my trip. I had to answer yes. I’m doing more twitching about tackle for this trip than I can remember.

I’ve caught a lot of 100# plus Yellowfin, including three cows, on trips from 11-16 days to Hurricane Bank and Clarion, going back to 2008. Last trip there was on Independence last year in April. My one and only triple digit Bluefin came on a 3 day on Searcher back in August ‘94. So, I’ve been fishing for a few years.

Due to some circumstances I had a bummer schedule since then. On a 2.5 last year in August, I crashed into the rail on the first day, toughed it out, finished the trip. Had to cancel the next trip due to the pain. Bashed up ribs are painful. Since then, I’ve had three trips scheduled and had to cancel all three.

But, it’s my Birthday and I’m back! :)

Russ Scholl
    Russ Scholl
    Happy Birthday Steve! Go getum.
    Upvote 0
    Steve K
    Steve K
    Just checking, you really don’t need to see pictures of the plates in the galley, do you? No, I didn’t think so. :)
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jmma

Aug 1, 2020
    Newbury Park
    Name
    Joe
    Boat Name
    Long Range
    Looks like I’m going to be able to get away for a birthday trip, 2.5 day on the Vagabond May 13-16. Because I’m coming down from Reno for this trip, I’ll only be bringing 3 reels and borrowing rods from my friend, Joe. I’m thinking 25-30 for flylining, 50-60 for YoYo iron and maybe sinker rig, and then a big gun for 100-130, fish the knife jig bridled to a 9/0 Super Mutu.

Probably
    FTHXN15LD2, FTH40NLD2 and Mak 16SEa.
    Recently posted on the Fishermans Landing web site front page;
    "The boats are starting to report seeing bigger Bluefin up to 200#. Make sure you bring your Heavy gear."
    My friend was on the Shogun last week and he said fishing was good, now the xxl models are moving in so your trip looks like a great oppertunity. I'm on the Excel limited load 3 day leaving the 22nd. Can't wait! Best of luck on your trip!

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    Bring those bigger jigs if the wind is up. Not as much scope to get in the zone. 400-500 gram. Please upgrade hooks and have a heavy leader. Fast pumping and reeling was a good trick but will wear you out.
    Happy Birthday
    Good luck
    Scott

Upvote 0

Statistico

Statistition
    Jan 23, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe
    Boat Name
    None
    Well, plans from six weeks ago sure changed. Now seeing more big Bluefin in the mix, I’ve kinda revised the list of reels. In fact those three are not on the list! ;)

FTH30LD2 is backed with 60 lb hollow and topshots will be 40-50
    BX2-600N is also backed with 60 lb and topshots will be 60-80
    ATD12T is a Super and filled with 80 lb hollow, topshot 100#
    ATD30T with the top 200’ marked every 50’ connected to another 300‘ also marked every 50’ and topped with a lengthy chunk of 150# Seaguar Premier.

I’m keeping my friend Joe down in San Diego busy, trying to match a loaner quiver for me to use. He’s also loaning me his buffed out HX Raptor with a generous topshot of 50# mono. I’ll use that for the 100-150 gram Sniper and Zakana jigs.
    Aw Steve…best that this stuff is used. I hope you hook a fish that rips the shit out of it…kidding…that you rip the shit out of. Happy Birthday and see you in the morning.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Steve,
    Hope you have a great, safe trip.
    Great way to enjoy your birthday.

Still looking forward to your report when you get back. Also hearing about that 250+ you land on this trip.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Vagabond
    I just looked at Vagabonds schedule and 1 spot opened up on Steve’s trip for anyone looking for a last minute trip. Have a fun trip steve and be sure to look out for R2D2 in the port stern corner!

Last edited:
    Reactions: nicodemus
    nicodemus
    nicodemus
    R2D2 - great to sit on when you're trolling, but very painful to run into when chasing a wahoo!
    Reactions: ripped
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0