Jury is still out

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Benj2853, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Benj2853

Benj2853 Quotakiller

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    16' Wellcraft center console
    Since I'm not buying a boat in the near future I decided to give a new dr brand a try. The install went pretty easily as there were already holes drilled in the existing mounting plate, and so far, the scotty power cable has worked just fine. I will likely end up drilling a hole for the cannon plug mounter eventually. I also went with an inline circuit breaker rather than a fuse, so I'll see how that ends up working.

Good so far:
    The thing is so damn quiet compared to scotties, I was surprised. I also liked the power down feature more than I thought. My initial thinking was that when bouncing bottom with the power down, there would be huge rats nests to deal with, but that was not the case. Also, having the rod holder inboard was super nice, especially with shin high gunnels. Retrieving the weight was also much easier than I thought, even without an up tilting mount. I'm also really impressed that the cannon comes with a built in fuse.

Not so good:
    The auto stop annoying on my setup because it stops about 2" from the boom which makes me nervous every time. Not really the dr's fault because it wouldn't be an issue with a more appropriate freeboard. Also, with the magnum series I don't know how you would stack clips. While retrieving the weight is fine, deploying it is much more difficult. Finally, and probably the most frustrating so far is that the cable gets slightly tangled coming up. Per recommendations, I've tried setting up the ball hook as a fair lead, but that seems to have no effect, and there's really only about one position you can securely install it in. I'll have to keep messing with it.

Anyways, if anyone is curious has questions about switching let me know. Or suggestions on the fair lead would be appreciated.

Install.JPG Circuit.JPG Cannon.JPG

2. Jasongind

Jasongind Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bayliner175BR
    I used that same in-line circuit breaker on the set up I just installed. I haven't been able to get our on the water yet to try it out. Let me know if you have any issues.

3. Thatsbait

Thatsbait Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Thatsbait
    Boat:
    22' Defiance "Interdictor"
    I had those on my last boat, never ever again. Pain in the ass. Scottys all way around now!

Fishwacker1 and goatram like this.
  4. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    I like cannons myself. Scottys are a wierd shape, overly complex, stupid shutoff system and spring up violently when they stop.

I wish I could run braid easier with the cannons but the simplicity and ergonomics is far superior on them IMO.

BugeaterInWa and Team Sency like this.
  5. SureThing

SureThing Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    22' Arima SureThing
    The digitrol cannons use magnets on the side of the reel to count the depth down and up. This allows you to use braid with auto up and has a soft stop. I set mine so the ball stops below the water line. They are much nicer than the Mag 5/10 series.

6. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I prefer Cannon DR’s as well. Probably because it’s what I learned with? I’ve just always felt the Scotty’s are “Clunky.”

I put Scotty on the boat when I re-rigged after purchase, because base played were already there, and I didn’t want to drill more holes. I wish someone made an adapter to mount Cannin ‘riggers on Scotty hole-pattern.

Team Sency likes this.
  7. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Its pretty easy. I like cannons DR'S but scottys makes the better swivel base so I just made an adapter out of an aluminum plate.

8. Ducky Duckworth

Ducky Duckworth Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    Duck, Duck, Goose
    I haven't had a cable break on the cannon yet. A breakaway pin in the swivels always goes first. Scares the $hit out of me everytime. I'd much rather the cable break.

9. Mav201

Mav201 Newbie

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Team Limiters II
    Been using cannons from the beginning. Hard to switch now but might change my mind when Larry retires.

10. Jasongind

Jasongind Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bayliner175BR
    I jut got new 1106's at that liquidation sale in Canada. I got one all wired up and just messed with it on land. It's pretty awesome but I only had a Scotty manual before so any electric 'rigger is an upgrade lol.

Benj2853 likes this.
  11. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Digi10s can't pull a crab pot up. Scotty DR's have no problem getting them up. The breaking locking pin is scary the first time. Used 1/4" line to keep fishing that day. I now have a few replacement bolts for the future.