June Lake Loop 10/19-21

Oct 6, 2007
Saugus
Name
roger
Boat
18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
About 12 of us were up for a few days. Fished all over, but limited on Friday due to wind. Thursday night we had a bit of snow too. Areas fished: Walker, Grant inlet, Silver(tube, beach, and inlet to Rush), June(shore by reeds), Gull(park and boats). a 4.75 lb'r was big fish, caught on pink/whi mouse tail on Gull Saturday morning. PS-it was 22 degrees when we got to Gull around 7am......dress warm/layers! The guys who fished Walker on Friday tromped thru some snow/mud, ended up with couple 14" fish, and mostly 10-12" stockers. June was lots of 10-12" stockers, and 1 brown about 12". The tuber on Silver did ok, again, nothing worth keeping. Gull was full of 10-12" fish too. I C & R'd about 25 and kept a couple bleeders. All were 10-12", maybe one a bit bigger, all but 3 on crawlers under a bubble. For the group,Mice tails and night crawlers caught the fish. I think one guy had a power bait fish. Other than the biggun....the fish were small and "skinny" for the most part. My guess is F & G has been emptying the hatcheries of smaller fish, and they are struggling to find food. Gull and June Marinas still open, Silver closed and sadly, so is Cafe. Main gate at Grant locked (road towards camping/marina).

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
IMG_1653.JPG
A
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
We returned on friday after snow and 60 mph winds at Convict. Saw 5 Semis blown over on their sides returning home on the 395. We traveled around and caught and released 150+ fish but nothing over 2 pounds. Most of our fish were fat and beautiful. Buoyants and Sierra Slammers caught most of our fish.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
The silver lake resort and cafe closed at 12pm Monday,just missed it.

Reactions: Beer Goggles

Beer Goggles

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
I'm heading up friday through monday. Pulling the kids from school so they can see the fall colors up there. I'm trying to teach them that fishing and going to the Sierra's is more important than school. I'll probably fish silver and rush with the boys and walk Lee Vining creek solo. Probably also will hike down to rainbow falls- I heard the steps down are closed but the view points up top are still good to go. Thanks for the reports and the pictures..

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
The silver lake resort and cafe closed at 12pm Monday,just missed it.
That is really unusual, they are usually open until the close of fishing season, which is November 15. Had friends up and they were disappointed, went to Whoa Nelly Deli instead.

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
I've been going there along time and they always closed mid October as far as I know,state campground stays open a little longer I think.