June 9, 2019 | Malibu Beaches

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by Levi Santana, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Levi Santana

Levi Santana “Newbie” is correct

Name:
    Levi Santana
    Boat:
    None
    Arrived to Malibu around 3pm and picked out an empty strip of sand in front of some rocks. High tide wasn’t until 4:46pm so we had some time to experiment. Most of our favorite places were packed (first warm day of summer), so this was the best choice. The water was pretty clear and about 60°, and the waves were small so it was comfortable. We waded for some time and finally my partner caught a huge 10" barred surfperch on a Berkley Gulp! "Bloody" Sandworm (drop shot rig). It was pregnant so we squeezed out the babies and bagged it. He also caught about two more 4" barred surfperch at that spot but we released those. I didn’t get a hookup until later. After a while the bite died down so we collected a bunch of big sand crabs and moved on. (FYI, to get the big sand crabs you have to dig down really far—about one foot—and scoop them out). We went over to Thornhill Broome Beach (great beach by the way) and whipped out the sand crabs. I was using a 1/2 oz Carolina rig and attached a #6 circle hook to my 6# mono leader. First cast and boom! 18" leopard shark. We took some pictures and then released it.
    upload_2019-6-10_12-25-54.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    I caught a few more 6" barred surfperch, as did my partner. There were not many fishable sand crabs here (only those really tiny baby ones). We packed up at about 7pm and headed home. In the end we had bagged three 6" barred surfperch and a 10" one. Good day overall and nice weather.

2. aguilarserrato

aguilarserrato Member

Name:
    Adalberto
    Boat:
    N/A
    Report appreciated.

Levi Santana likes this.
  3. MannyOjai

MannyOjai Newbie

Name:
    Manny Molina