June 8-Day Gear List

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by marlin23, Jan 9, 2013.

1. marlin23

marlin23 Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    none
    I am headed out on an 8-day trip in late June and was wondering if anyone has a gear list they have already put together for a similar trip. I have done some 3-5 day trips a while back but have mostly been on 1-2 day trips for the past few years so most of my reels, rods and tackle are for local fishing. Just wondering what I might need to take (or acquire at Fred Hall, etc.) so I am not wishing I had something during the trip.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    Hey Josh my first 8 day was in late June. June is always weird, its a crap shoot, could have nice weather and 100# tuna at the rocks or rough cold windy weather with bleak fishing. Hopefully for you its the first and not the latter. I basically brought 1 30# rig for your offshore tuna, 2 40# rigs 2 speed rigs like a makaira filled with braid and a short top shot of 40#, 1 50# rig or 2 if you have same type of reel as your 40#, a 60# rig, one heavy 80# rig for your dropper loop type stuff, and a jig stick if you like throwing the iron. I loaded up on flourocarbon 30-60#, hooks, bait catchers, yoyo irons ( salas 6x), and some 7xs/ 45s depending on what your like to throw. I got lucky on my trip and hooked a 55lb yt and a 96lb tuna but the trip as a whole sucked we had a lot of rough weather and wind and only 150 fish for 8 days but the food and crew were top notch, just have fun!

3. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Nothing is absolutely definitive of course, but post #5 is a sample list for our Penn 8-day trip in late June aboard the Shogun.
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/world-penn/467980-penn-8-day-aboard-shogun-june-16-24-2013-a.html

4. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

That list via the link that Tunanorth gave you is great. I add to that:

• A 50lb bait rig
    • A 40lb surface iron rig

And I like to have an extra 40-50lb rig ready as a backup.

5. BirdnestBill

BirdnestBill Farmer

La Guaira Bank, Los Roques, Eastern Pacific
    Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Porque' No?
    30# bait, 7-8' w/single speed reel
    40# bait (2), 7' w/2-speed
    40# surface iron, 8-9' w/single speed
    50# bait, 7' w/2-speed
    50# Yoyo, 6-6.5' w/high gear single or 2-speed
    80# trolling/dropper loop, 6-6.5' w/2-speed

If you have one, you might bring a lighter rig but I wouldn't buy one just for that trip. You'll have a blast and will start looking to go on even longer trips the next time. It's a sickness we all gladly share.

6. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Ive been on several in that time frame. Most of the advice is great. I'd add a 60# rig if you can. I fished it solid for 3 days one trip. Never touched it on a few others.