DMcD

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Hey Everyone: I tried to use the search engine for this, but my computer kept getting bogged down. I'm wondering what one would/could expect on a 10 day trip in mid June? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Happy New Year everyone!
DMcD

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
usually mid June is 5-6-7 day trips. Most 10 day trip start in the Fall Months,but sometimes their are exceptions to both.

strackle99

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2008
Allied Gardens
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I depending on the boat, could hit Lupe, Alijos, pretty much anything north of Cabo.

Fishing wise, you could get into anything

richardblufin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 23, 2009
poway ca.usa
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Thats early the water is generally still cool. Maybe some Big yellows. Most 10days are in the fall when the water warmer. Go on a 7-8day in June. Good luck

DMcD

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Thanks for the thread, RichG. Sounds like what I kinda figured. Good yellowtail fishing...maybe get lucky and find some tuna or wahoo down south. I remember asking JJ (Apollo) if he could pick only one month of the year to fish for bluefin, he would say "June."

Reactions: Cubeye

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
BajaDreamer used to do regular 8-day trips early-mid June. YT & YFT and the weather is a crap-shoot. our tuna from Alijos got so beat up do to the pounding for 2 days that 5-Star apologized for less than 50% of their normal yield. If the weather is good, you should have a wonderful time.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I fished a few trips with Chris. His shop in Bakersfield was in an industrial park, visited him after work when I was there helping out with service for the local Canon dealer. Helped save my sanity.

Early efforts on RSW on Shogun, which is the boat we fished Baja Dreamer charters, was piss poor. They didn’t fill the well, they just adjusted the temperature of the spray brine to 30 degrees. Fish weren’t suspended in the RSW, they just got stacked on top of each other. Quality was worse than bad, smashed fish, no good. If your catch was on top, you win!

Reactions: SlideRight

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
BajaDreamer used to do regular 8-day trips early-mid June. YT & YFT and the weather is a crap-shoot. our tuna from Alijos got so beat up do to the pounding for 2 days that 5-Star apologized for less than 50% of their normal yield. If the weather is good, you should have a wonderful time.
Chris's trips were fun to fish as with all June trips the weather is hit and miss. The Shogun is a good boat to be on when it goes South though and gets snotty. I agree with Steve on the quality of the fish back then. The trades for cans was a good way to salvage something

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Never did a Baja dreamer trip. Heard they were fun

That is a great deal and of interest, 10 dayer Big X. 2 more days then the traditional 8 dayers! If the stars, moon, earth, tides, ect lined up. Could be one heck of a Alijos and BFT trip IF the conditions are good

The trade for cans was cool and was a decent deal. If a fisher had allot of fish. Who cares what the exchange rate was. Felt like the canned tuna was free. Used to get a average of 2 cases + of canned tuna from each trip. I made sure the break and lunch room at work had canned tuna for free including family and friends. Folks love tuna fish salad. The long trips. Would trade the frozen fish from the front end of the trip for cans. No one get puffy about the exchange rate. It was a option. A choice

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
I fished a few trips with Chris. His shop in Bakersfield was in an industrial park, visited him after work when I was there helping out with service for the local Canon dealer. Helped save my sanity.
Yeah Steve, Baja Dreamer was my go to LR shop & I did many of Chris's Shogun trips & I believe 1 or 2 of those when you were also aboard. Chris was good at his craft...doing all of my 'Will Fish' conversions & some rod work back in the pre-braid days. As far as I know, nothing has filled that void in southern Kern Co. - maybe all of Kern? Sorely needed too. Have not heard of Chris for a while & hope all is well. And yes, those June trips are always a crap shoot but the spring pricing is usually spot on.

Last edited:

DMcD

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Thanks for all the input, guys. Decided to jump on a Nov-Dec 10 day on the Intrepid. I like the variety available on trips at this time of the year, and maybe we'll get lucky enough to find some bigguns...Mooooo!

Happy New Year, everyone.

Reactions: SlideRight