Offshore Jumbos still at San Clemente island?

PENN

Tuna-Sniper

Tuna Sniper
Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Ranger is fishing the same area I fished yesterday and it was a very slow day. I landed one around 50# and lost one. They did not bite unit late like 5 PM and we did got get back to Dana Point until 11pm just.

Reactions: thrasher949
Upvote 0

Ranger805

Aug 30, 2016
Ventura CA
Name
John
Boat
Radoncraft
Today looks tough for fishing with the closures scheduled. Saturday and Sunday there are some areas to fish. A risk for a big fish with a big investment.

Upvote 0

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider
They only own 3 miles off the island they can only ask you to move fuck um
Hardly....the Navy was on the radio yesterday giving coordinates and saying you need to stay 42 nm nautical miles from them.

They were yelling at people right and left - "This is the Navy Patrol aircraft off of your port bow calling vessel 5 miles south of Santa Cruz island, you are in a restricted area." Calls like this all day.

They have WAY more than 3 miles of jurisdiction!

Upvote 0

giggs huang

Sardine Killer
Feb 2, 2017
Southern California
www.instagram.com
Name
Giggs Huang
Boat
N/A
AIS shows NLA and Ranger are at Cortes Bank...Constitution at SCI....and Freedom is going to Cortes tonight...is that because of closure or fish moving to the banks?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
AIS shows NLA and Ranger are at Cortes Bank...Constitution at SCI....and Freedom is going to Cortes tonight...is that because of closure of fish moving to the banks?

I’m guessing the closures, lack of bite at SCI and a good weather window, has some boats making the trip out to Cortez and Tanner.

Upvote 0

robert vega

Bluefin
Jul 3, 2016
orange
Name
balls out fisherman
Boat
saint
I think that’s the Consensus. The big bluefin are on their way. (Cortez-Tanner) We’ll see where they pop up next....

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The boats fishing Cortez are fishing a really nice grade of yellows, no tuna that I have seen. The tuna, especially if its a kite only game, favors the small boats, 20 guys standing at a rail eating cheeseburgers staring at a kite gets really old really quick if its slow.

Upvote 0

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
The boats fishing Cortez are fishing a really nice grade of yellows, no tuna that I have seen. The tuna, especially if its a kite only game, favors the small boats, 20 guys standing at a rail eating cheeseburgers staring at a kite gets really old really quick if its slow.
Exactly why I bought my own boat, most sport boats wont fuck with them or will only attempt them on a 2 day trip with some meat on the deck already.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Upvote 0

jjhollin

Jun 29, 2006
Del Mar
Name
Jake Hollingsworth
Boat
None
We'll be there Sunday. Hopefully they reappear after everyone gives up on the backside for a few days. At least the lack of BF reports will keep the boat traffic down.

Reactions: thrasher949
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2009
San Diego, California
Name
Lola
Boat
330 Grady White Express
Fished there late Wednesday and hard all day yesterday. Only one legit meter mark all day , other than that Zero. No signs of fish. I hear the fish moved for the time being. Weather was spectacular though. Sunny and Flat. Good luck.

Upvote 0

robert vega

Bluefin
Jul 3, 2016
orange
Name
balls out fisherman
Boat
saint
Thank you! Guy’s for the reports and keeping on top of it! Every piece of information helps put the puzzle together and helps with planning future trips! Good luck and good fishing!

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Had fish pop up on chum a couple times around 5:30 pm ... drifted the night in the zone... woke up Friday started chummin and saw the navy comin ... pulled the chute on a tank of sardine before they got to us but the fish never came up before we left for farnsworth a half hour later...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

robert vega

Bluefin
Jul 3, 2016
orange
Name
balls out fisherman
Boat
saint
Thanks for the report! Seems like 5-5:30 pm is a time I’m hearing a lot. Seems around that time is the best time to have a shot at them right now....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
I fished Thursday from 3 to dark . Never found any bft marks . Decided to put the kite in on some deep bait . Nothing transpired. The water was rolled from the wind and Temps fell to 64 . I anchored up at Seal and tried again Friday . I metered the entire backside for no marks . I think it's temp related . Tons of bait from the mackerel bank to the 277 , I mean solid for 10 - 15 miles . Water was only warm, 68 plus on the inside . Clemente still had decent bait so I hope Temps bounce back .

Upvote 0

robert vega

Bluefin
Jul 3, 2016
orange
Name
balls out fisherman
Boat
saint
Thank you! Dan for your report!!! All great information straight to the point!

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Back of my mind , knew it was a crap shoot with the lower Temps. Should have summoned my frontal lobe and let someone else find out the hard way . What can I say ? It's an addiction .

Upvote 0

robert vega

Bluefin
Jul 3, 2016
orange
Name
balls out fisherman
Boat
saint
You guys have the time and the means to get out there! You’re so blessed for that! And there are still 100 pounders out there, that not that many years ago was a very special prize, usually only found 100+ miles south of San Diego. We are spoiled! Any bluefin is a good bluefin! Time on the water is always valuable to hone our skills!.....Plus, you just never know what you may come across out there.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
Took a look, not much to see. Super fishy on the northwest corner but no fish. About a mile
North of the 9 fathom spot I metered 2 solo swimmers. Cruises down to the dune area and didn’t see much going on. Spoke to a couple guys on the radio and they saw a few dolphins for nada. Water temp was right at 67 all around the island. Save some gas and fish something closer. Most entertainment we had all way was trying to bait a swordfish followed by a mako. Went 0-2. Water was a sheet of glass.

49B94742-52D3-4C7F-BF82-290A92F53DB1.jpeg

Upvote 0