Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Ted,

I've flown to San Diego for Long Range trips quite a few times. Lots of good ideas already discussed. I settled on using 6-8 inch strips of bubble wrap - wrap the rods in the bubble wrap so they are just the diameter of the inside of the tube and slide them in. Alternate the butts to tips so that either end of the rod tube only touches the butts. Use one strip near each end and one in the middle of the bundle. Using a rod sock or cloth rod sleeve will help protect each rod. If you take them on the plane and TSA opens the rod tube, they can easily verify what they are and with the bubble wrap "bushing" it will be easier for them to slide the rods back in.

For me personally, I found shipping to the boat office or the landing was MUCH easier than schlepping the rod tube into and out of the terminal. Always sent mine out a week or so ahead of the trip - enough time to account for any shipping delay. When I was checking them on the plane, fortunately never had anything delayed or lost. But that is ALWAYS a possibility. I've never used Mike Morris, but what he charges is a bargain for the service and peace of mind that your gear is being looked after by someone who knows fishing equipment.

Good luck on your trip - you are going to have a great time.

Reactions: Tedward2020

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Ted,

I've flown to San Diego for Long Range trips quite a few times. Lots of good ideas already discussed. I settled on using 6-8 inch strips of bubble wrap - wrap the rods in the bubble wrap so they are just the diameter of the inside of the tube and slide them in. Alternate the butts to tips so that either end of the rod tube only touches the butts. Use one strip near each end and one in the middle of the bundle. Using a rod sock or cloth rod sleeve will help protect each rod. If you take them on the plane and TSA opens the rod tube, they can easily verify what they are and with the bubble wrap "bushing" it will be easier for them to slide the rods back in.

For me personally, I found shipping to the boat office or the landing was MUCH easier than schlepping the rod tube into and out of the terminal. Always sent mine out a week or so ahead of the trip - enough time to account for any shipping delay. When I was checking them on the plane, fortunately never had anything delayed or lost. But that is ALWAYS a possibility. I've never used Mike Morris, but what he charges is a bargain for the service and peace of mind that your gear is being looked after by someone who knows fishing equipment.

Good luck on your trip - you are going to have a great time.
If I do ship directly to landing who do u use that is reliable?ups,fedex, usps? Estimated cost of shipping for u?

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Ted - call the boat office and ask them where to ship - they will be very familiar with what work best. It's been a while since I shipped since my daughter and son-in-law now live in SoCal. I keep my rods and tackle box at her house. When I was shipping I always used FedEx Ground. You hear good and bad about every shipper nowadays, but I have always had good service from FedEx. Sorry, I don't recall the price but don't remember it being crazy. Depending on the airline and what they would charge for the rod tube, it might be cheaper to take it with you as checked luggage.

Tedward2020

Autistic fisherman
Apr 5, 2020
Greensboro North Carolina
Name
Ted Allegranza
Boat
None
Ted - call the boat office and ask them where to ship - they will be very familiar with what work best. It's been a while since I shipped since my daughter and son-in-law now live in SoCal. I keep my rods and tackle box at her house. When I was shipping I always used FedEx Ground. You hear good and bad about every shipper nowadays, but I have always had good service from FedEx. Sorry, I don't recall the price but don't remember it being crazy. Depending on the airline and what they would charge for the rod tube, it might be cheaper to take it with you as checked luggage.
She told me u can ship there just never told me who to use for shipping... lol