July/August SQ Trip Planning

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by mattCraig, Feb 2, 2017.

1. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Hey guys, trying to plan my first trip down to SQ in late July or early August wth 2 maybe 3 other experienced fishing buddies.

We plan on driving down from San Diego and fishing 3 days.

What's should we expect that time of the year? Who should we use for panga services? Where should we stay, or can we set up tents on the beach and camp somewhere? How much fish can we bring back over the border? Any special paperwork I should have printed out and handy at border crossings? Whats avg. $$$ for full day panga services for 3 consecutive days? Can I book pangas in advance online before going down, or test my luck when I get down their? Could we have chances to catch yellows, rockies, and offshore tunas, dodos, or wahoos?

Please feel free to "school me" on everything I should know before heading down. Everything is much appreciated. If you feel incline to post pics of experiences and what I could be in store for to get me "jacked up", please do so.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    If it's full moon White Sea bass is a possibility depending on water temp could be yellows the waters just starting to get warm then always bottom fish. And bass

mattCraig likes this.
  3. noslow64

noslow64 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    sold it
    you should fish with (captain Juan SQ), he will put you on the fish, YT, lingcod. it don't matter what kind of fish, he'll find them for you.

You'll need auto insurance, fishing license, visa, BEER :hali_olutta: & have fun pulling in the fish :rockin:

mattCraig and Captain Juan SQ like this.
  4. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I have a place down there (25 years) and that is a great time to go. Try to hit it about 3-4 days before full or new moon. If the seabass show up, that is the best time of year. Yellows will be around also, mostly on the surface. If the tuna, albacore or dorado show up, they will be about 12-16 miles off the point and easy to get. All the panga operations are good (Juan,Tiberons, Garcias, Titos, K&M which is Kelly.. Kelly has the 25 ft Parkers. If you can afford them they are nice! Gas is skyrocketing so the prices are unknown at this point. I would book in advance as that is a popular time of year for the seabass and exotics.

You need a passport or passport card to get a Mexican tourist card at the border. Easy to get at TJ crossing. It will be in the building to your right. Just ask one of the officials for "Oficina de imigration" and they will point you in the right direction. You must get one or you are considered illegal in their country.

I would stay right at the launch ramp at The Old Mill or Don Eddies. Rooms are cheap. (I would not do any camping down there. Things will start to get tough for the locals and migrants from the mainland and you do not want to tempt them by camping in an isolated area.) Be sure to book early as lots of offroad motorcycle clubs come down that time of year and book a lot of the rooms.

Bring handidandies and 4-6 ounce sinkers for bait making. Also hooks for live mackeral. Chrome Crocodiles about 4-6 inches long are the lure of choice for the seabass. Yellows along the beach will be caught on mackeral, crocs and surface iron, There will be plenty of bass, rockfish to be caught all along the coast. Bass rods with 40 lb braid, 2 oz heads and plastic swimbaits will work great. Put a little piece of squid that you will be bringing on the hook and hang on. Clear with red flake 5 inch swimbaits are the lure of choice but everything will work to a degree.

You can cross the border with mexican limits which is 10 fish per person per day with no more than 30 fish total per person. You are allowed to catch catch no more than 5 of one species in your 10 fish per day limit. Example, 5 yellows and 5 tunas per day. (Special limit on dorado is 2 per day per person.)

We bring down a small 5 cubic foot freezer and plug it in outside of one of the rooms. Bring your own quart size, freezer ziplock bags. (A gallon of frozen fish is a lot to defrost)

Good luck, drive slow and safe and have fun. San Quintin is awesome and we might just see you down there.!

5. Leslie. Christensen

Leslie. Christensen El Chivito

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga
    Busy time so book everything now, I like Jaime fo Pangas, Jaun for Parkers, what are you driving ,how many days there? Bug spray, could try beach stuff one day, Call Old Mill , Jardines Baha, Don Eddie's, all good, stay as long as possible, places to camp, but check with locals, as things change daily,you want to be carefull. Jaimes Pangas, can find on facebook or online, Jaun SQ on here, Kelly anywhere. K and M ,Kelly. Everyone has freezers now, bringing some squid, bait can help,if you get bait on boat keep it for beach, fish store on right by tourism of in Ensenada, is a good place to stop. Have fun, P M Jaun, he'll help you in right direction even if it doesn't include him

mattCraig likes this.
  6. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for all the quick responses, we are gonna be driving down an f250 with a shell.

Do any of these panga or Parker guys have websites besides the K & M guys?

7. Leslie. Christensen

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga
    Jaime Garcia Solerno, , Jaun SQ Look around you'll find em , Jaimes cell in afternoon

mattCraig likes this.
  8. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
  9. Beer Goggles

Beer Goggles Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    O
    Boat:
    The Snapper Slapper
    Hey buddy, go with Juan on his Parker. Priced well and a wealth of knowledge. Book early. Old Mill is fun and cheap plus the new resteraunt is amazing. Old mill is right at the launch ramp and about $16 per person per night, much better than camping. Great advice by Dwayne, take his advice to heart. Also invest in a few of the Salas 6X Jr's- can't go wrong with blue and white. Bring lots of frozen squid- Oh and stop at a different type of fish market in TJ called Hong Kong, or Adelita's- your choice. Blue pills at the farmacia are $5 each for generics. Enjoy.

10. muchachos3

muchachos3 Newbie

Name:
    Joe Z.
    Many good captains and respect to all. But Captain Juan also known as El Juan Capitan Cook, also aka Juan Cocinero the real deal holyfield.

[email protected]

Fishhhhhhhhhhhhhhooonnnnnnnnnnnn.

IMG_0968.JPG 393790-366e2554fac7d9069f9c1e0928b6b076.jpg IMG_4628.JPG

11. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    thanck you Justin......if generic take 2 its harder and faster that way.

Beer Goggles, mattCraig and gved823 like this.
  12. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    Juan knows his stuff and having many years of experience helps, he will put you on the fish

mattCraig likes this.
  13. Mocruz1200

Mocruz1200 Member

Name:
    Moises
    Boat:
    None
    most of those guys have facebook pages. I reccomend Jaime, Garcias Pangas, or K&M Sportfishing. depending on the el niño status, there could also be some decent offshore fishing that time of year

14. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks a lot everyone I'm going to book with Juan for 3 days; just going to decide the exact days and try to plan a few days prior to the full moon. Looks like August 7th at the time is a full moon, can't wait !!!! Hope we can catch some offshores and yellows, anything big!!!

Continue to pound me with info and pics until I go... I will definetly post pics when I get back; and if your in my area hopefully I can unload some fillets on everyone for the info you guys have given me!

Leslie. Christensen likes this.
  15. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    3-4 rods per person sound ok if fishing 3-4 guys?

Captain Juan SQ likes this.
  16. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    perfecto.

mattCraig likes this.
  17. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Bring lots of iron, all size hooks, sinkers, sliders, frozen squid,etc...?

18. smokinwater

smokinwater "Fire's Out!"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    won't b mine
    My $.02 is, since your trip is months off, you guys might want to look into getting a SENTRI for your passports. Saves a lot of time coming back States-side. Still need your passports; Mex reserves the right to check your passport. Check your cell phone provider for international package for your timeframe. I have a friend that traveled down from Idaho to fish with me in Mex. Travels with a weapon, and left it at my house before us heading South. Once down there, found he had left a clip in his backpack. Could have been real bad for every one of us. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TAKING into Mex. Lot of us leave our terminal tackle after our trips; the boats and skippers down there are not without, but some things are harder for them to get. A different thought on Dwaye's above recm'd on the quart Ziplock bags: I have found the gallon size works better for me because my fillets can lay flatter in the ice chest. But that being said, packing for my trips now include a cheap-po version of the Foodsaver and few rolls of vacuum bag mat'l. I've started processing down there right off the boats. Sure, its tiring and I'm hungry and thirsty, but getting it done while still amp'ed helps. (I always bring a cheap 10' ext cord with my processing kit.) Finally, a wide brim hat, vs a baseball cap. I've punched 3/4" grommets in mine to help ventilate the crown. I know I've given a bunch, so I'll get off the soapbox now.

surf launch and mattCraig like this.
  19. mattCraig

mattCraig Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    none
    Smokinwater; What exactly is a "SENTRI"?

20. Leslie. Christensen

Name:
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat:
    Ponga
    Why not?