Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    For the 4th of July I went out on the Rita G 3/4day from Virg's Landing in Morro Bay. Booked a week ahead on their website, $96. We ran north to an area near where Hwy 46 hits Hwy 1. On the way out I noticed the lady deckhand cutting up squid. She was chunking them and I prefer strips. I asked for strips and she made me my own bucket of strips and heads.
    Started out in 315' and my first drop with a 12oz lead and 2 Pink plastic squids tipped w/ squid strips, I brought up a male Spiny Dogfish Shark. around 30". He was pretty badly wrapped up in the rig and ended up destroying it. Switched out to a 8oz Chrome Bead brand jig and salvaged 1 of the pink squids for a teaser about 30" above it. Tipped everything with squid strips and dropped it. Hit the bottom, lifted and the jig sank maybe a foot before it went weightless. I set the hook hard hoping for a Ling! The rod doubled over and some drag pulled off. I had visions of a Jackpot Ling! Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. It was a 43" hen Shark. The guy decky was good about quickly taking them to be bled out as soon as I said I wanted them. The 2nd shark scraped up that rig pretty bad too.
    After the 2 sharks I thought maybe I should go to my heavy rig. This turned out to be a bad idea as I only caught Starries and a Pacific Mackerel on it. I couldn't believe the Mack ate a 12oz. Ahi jig in green Mackerel color. The Starries all ate the Gulp Swimming Mullet above it. After reeling up bait on 4 successive drops I was fed up with the heavy rod and rig. Grabbed my light rod, re-rigged with the same Chrome Jig as before and a Gulp swimbait, both with squid strips. Next drop was a nice Red, then the Captain called for a move in shallower.
    During the move the guys next to me asked what I was doing to catch the better grade and numbers than they were. They were using 2 pound leads and shrimp flies with so much squid that nothing could get to the hook point. I don't think they had dropped all the way to the bottom. I told them to take off the gobs and put 1 chunk and 1 strip hanging so it flaps, make sure the hook point is exposed, drop to the bottom, leave it on the bottom for a 3 count with no slack, then pound it on the bottom 2 or 3 times to get there attention and repeat. 1st drop in 170' I caught 2 decent Johny Bass, and they caught a Red and 2 Johny's. I figured they were off to the races. I then caught a Gopher, and lastly another Johny.
    We then moved to 130' and I swapped the Chrome jig with a 3oz P-line laser minnow with a Chartreuse back. I wished I had a 4oz jig. The wind came up a little and I wasn't staying as vertical as I like. I picked up a pair of decent Blue Perch, then small Gophers, Johny Bass and Starries until it was time to go. At some point in there the 2 guys next to me complained about reeling up empty after getting hits. I explained about setting the hook and checking how your rig bends the rod and only reeling up if the bend has doubled or you think your bait is gone. They filled more than half of their limits and I finished them.
    I had a breakfast burrito on the way out and a double bacon cheese burger and a beer on the way back in. With the Sharks and Rockfish filleted my tab came to $54 and I gave an even $60. Then I tipped the lady $5 and thanked her for the squid strips.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    This turned out to be a bad idea as I only caught Starries and a Pacific Mackerel on it.
    You totally missed the boat by not dropping the mac down on your heavy gear . Lings are absolutly queer for them .

Reactions: JamesZ
    Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    200.gif

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Hen shark - it was a female Spiny Dogfish shark with pups (baby sharks) that were still developing and had egg sacs still attached that were bigger than they were.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Aug 4, 2004
    California
    Name
    JB
    Boat
    Matson Inc.
    Sorry you chose to fish at Virg's. Next time, Give a try at Morro Bay Landing on either the Endeavor or Star Fire. Far better boats, crews and captains. Virgs Landing has lost there reputation when it was sold several years ago.

Reactions: justin perkins
    Upvote 0