Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
So for a 4 day trip what is their to be expected and for terminal tackle what would you guys recommend thats most widely used??

Also if I were to get a new setup going off from what I have, what should be my next setup for future long range trips??
If I could take only one outfit on a 4 day it would be my 6470 and a small two speed full of 60-65 lb Spectra. Topshot with 30 or 40 lb fluoro. Pocket full of 3/0 ringed hooks.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
First, wait and see what's biting closer to your trip and that will give you an idea what to bring. Like Steve said a go to outfit with 30 or 40 pound fluorocarbon. Personally I like 2/0 circle hook, if the bait is the right size. If you are going to fish at night, ask the crew what's around and to set you up. Night watch can get lonely. If you are going to throw a jig, show the crew what you have and ask them what would work best. A few surface irons are nice to have, blue and white, scramble egg, or whatever color you like. A catchy or salas heavy in the same colors.

I would hold off buying another rig, until you decide if you are staying with 4/5 day trips or going longer.

Just have fun and report back.

Reactions: ripped

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
First, wait and see what's biting closer to your trip and that will give you an idea what to bring. Like Steve said a go to outfit with 30 or 40 pound fluorocarbon. Personally I like 2/0 circle hook, if the bait is the right size. If you are going to fish at night, ask the crew what's around and to set you up. Night watch can get lonely. If you are going to throw a jig, show the crew what you have and ask them what would work best. A few surface irons are nice to have, blue and white, scramble egg, or whatever color you like. A catchy or salas heavy in the same colors.

I would hold off buying another rig, until you decide if you are staying with 4/5 day trips or going longer.

Just have fun and report back.
How would I check on how the boats are doing?

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
How would I check on how the boats are doing?
The boats all have web sites and post to them. Some Captains are better than others and the WiFi can be down as well. And They all have facebook pages and post to them as well, usually more frequently. Just like a page and you'll see.

As a quick reference to find the boats web pages, Go to Bill Roecker web site, fishing videos and he has a hyperlink to all the boats in the "current conditions" section. He posts report now about once a week.

http://fishingvideos.com/news/

Western Outdoor news usually has a column on Long Range every week as well.

This becomes addicting looking on the web.

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Just wondering should I also bring my calcutta 700s and diawa sealine 50 as back ups?? 700s spooled with 30 and the sealine spooled with 40??

Also Ive also been wondering these past couple days is other than the trip price, how much in total would I be spending as far as fish cleaning if its not included, parking for 4 days and so on if their are things that I cant avoid without paying??

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
You could bring to Calcutta and Sealine. It all depends on what's biting.

As to extra costs. CHeck with the office about the Visa and Mexican license and any other possible fees.

Parking was $8.00 a day. If you can finds someone who lives near you and car pool, then split parking and fuel. ASk the office if someone lives close to you.

Check with the fish processors about charges. It's per pound undressed. You have a choice with Five Star, Sportsman, and Fishermans. They all have web sites and maybe the INtrepid web site has a hyperlink.

Oh and the tip for the crew, See the thread on tipping. Also if you buy any tackle on the boat, will have to be settled a the the end of the trip.

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Saw the tipping thread and talked to my buddies about it and will see what happens because Ill be going on military leave and work isnt going to pay for my leave. By the time I get back Ill be going to work for a week and then off to fishing I go so Ill play it by ear.

So doing some guestimate Im either looking to be spending 500-1000 depending on how much fish I get preocessed and how much my galley tab is =(

Me being asian, my parents love whole fish, guts and all so it will save me some money the on the process but I would love to get the tuna processed if I do land any.So having to pack all the fish along with a 2hr drive and tring to fit it in the fridge is going to be fun lol

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Do you have other rods too? Would be good to know, as others have said a backup rig or two comes in handy. Offshore fishing generally is a lot of driving and looking and a few golden moments of pure chaos. Rather than stopping and re-rigging in those moments, it's great to grab another rig and get back in an get bit immediately. Small things like this can mean the difference of getting a fish a stop or getting more.
When they go off, Put the wood to them. It may be few and far between stops before getting bit again.If their eatin the heavy stuff use it, save the finesse for when it's slim pickins.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Top 2 have no hooks, so I should replace all of them?? With these should I be good or should I get more as well as poppers??

And I go to Island tackle alot know that I got back into the fishing game. Bought my fathom 25/40 and tranx400 setup from them. Love this store because they have great service, great knowledge, great selection, but most of all their honest opinion.

Also I was thinking and I dont know if anyone else does this but is it okay to put a nice flourcarbon shock leader with a solid ring to a split ring and then to lures to be able to do a fast switch between all lure? Like the ability to switch setups on the fly from a tady to a dart to a popper??
Are you sure this is your first somewhat long range trip?? Sounds like to me, Your very knowledgeable.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Just wondering should I also bring my calcutta 700s and diawa sealine 50 as back ups?? 700s spooled with 30 and the sealine spooled with 40??

Also Ive also been wondering these past couple days is other than the trip price, how much in total would I be spending as far as fish cleaning if its not included, parking for 4 days and so on if their are things that I cant avoid without paying??
Generally fish cleaning is extra at the processors. parking will run appx $8.00 per day depending on where you park. Your galley tab (alcohol) and shirts etc. The Main thing is the tip for the crew appx 15-20% Minimum. of the trip cost. Don't go over spending on a bunch of tackle that you will not need, Once your on the boat they will pretty much have what you need to purchase, for the type of fish being targeted. Tip the crew when you get on the boat and tell them you need help with your tackle and gear getting rigged up. Also Tip them at the end of the trip, It will be your best Investment. The crews have very good memories on who takes care of them and the ones that don't. It could be ten years down the road the next time you go fishing and they remember you!! Good luck.

Reactions: RichG

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
James... if you are going to bring whole fish back, you will need some big ice chests or a pick up. If it's hot on the drive home your fish can spoil. I know guys that have used a pick up and tarp, with lots of ice.

Here's an alternate idea. If a family member, with a pick up, can drop you off and pick you up. I don't know the length but a 15 pound YT is close to 36 inches if not longer, someone chime in here.

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Are you sure this is your first somewhat long range trip?? Sounds like to me, Your very knowledgeable.
Ive been fishing for a while but then stopped and now I just got back into it like how I was at the begining. Also have to add the fact that I do alot of research, and spend time at the shop lol,

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Generally fish cleaning is extra at the processors. parking will run appx $8.00 per day depending on where you park. Your galley tab (alcohol) and shirts etc. The Main thing is the tip for the crew appx 15-20% Minimum. of the trip cost. Don't go over spending on a bunch of tackle that you will not need, Once your on the boat they will pretty much have what you need to purchase, for the type of fish being targeted. Tip the crew when you get on the boat and tell them you need help with your tackle and gear getting rigged up. Also Tip them at the end of the trip, It will be your best Investment. The crews have very good memories on who takes care of them and the ones that don't. It could be ten years down the road the next time you go fishing and they remember you!! Good luck.
Tip at the start and the end, like tip in in the tip jar or hand it to them stright up??
Also I would have to play it by ear because like I said Ill be gone for the military and work offers no pay and this is the first time Im doing a lr trip and too much things might add up pretty quick

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
James... if you are going to bring whole fish back, you will need some big ice chests or a pick up. If it's hot on the drive home your fish can spoil. I know guys that have used a pick up and tarp, with lots of ice.

Here's an alternate idea. If a family member, with a pick up, can drop you off and pick you up. I don't know the length but a 15 pound YT is close to 36 inches if not longer, someone chime in here.
Now that sounds like a plan......nice thick tarp from Homedepot and a lot of ice.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Tip at the start and the end, like tip in in the tip jar or hand it to them stright up??
Also I would have to play it by ear because like I said Ill be gone for the military and work offers no pay and this is the first time Im doing a lr trip and too much things might add up pretty quick
Basically when you settle up your tab at the end of the trip (beers, tackle or anything else that wasn't included in the trip price) you add your tip to that tab. Typically 15-20% of the trip price is the settled upon norm, but its your own discretion to tip higher or lower if you feel so inclined.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Now that sounds like a plan......nice thick tarp from Homedepot and a lot of ice.
Don't leave you stuff in an open pickup bed, without some one watching. Most guys on the trip will do you a favor. Unfortunately there are those around that like free stuff including fish.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
either give it to the captain or one of the deckhands. Just figure the tip money into the the cost of your trip.

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Don't leave you stuff in an open pickup bed, without some one watching. Most guys on the trip will do you a favor. Unfortunately there are those around that like free stuff including fish.
I was thinking of using my dads truck with a camper so I should be good

either give it to the captain or one of the deckhands. Just figure the tip money into the the cost of your trip.
At the beginning of the trip though?? I figured the cost as the following

-Tip 10-20% of $1800 so $180-360
-Gas $100
-Parking for 4 days $32
-Fish process of 100lbs $200-250
-Extra terminal tackle $50-100
-Rental gear $50

This is just a guesstimate and man does it add up. So depending if the military pays me on time and if my work doesnt pay for my leave then Im kind of SOL and the one thing is that I dont want to look like a mooch so will see what happens when the time comes

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I was thinking of using my dads truck with a camper so I should be good

At the beginning of the trip though?? I figured the cost as the following

-Tip 10-20% of $1800 so $180-360
-Gas $100
-Parking for 4 days $32
-Fish process of 100lbs $200-250
-Extra terminal tackle $50-100
-Rental gear $50

This is just a guesstimate and man does it add up. So depending if the military pays me on time and if my work doesnt pay for my leave then Im kind of SOL and the one thing is that I dont want to look like a mooch so will see what happens when the time comes
I believe the Intrepid has loaner gear, Free of charge, If you let them know in advance. So that"s $50.00 more dollars towards the crew tip. Also the fish processing is 90 cents a lb, not $2.50-3.00 lb.

Last edited:

terryc.

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
Get a 700m for that Sealine could end up being your most used rod for kelp paddy and schoolie tuna

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
I believe the Intrepid has loaner gear, Free of charge, If you let them know in advance. So that"s $50.00 more dollars towards the crew tip. Also the fish processing is 90 cents a lb, not $2.50-3.00 lb.
I thought they chared for the line at least??? And what are the chances on a 4 day of something bad happening??

I just checked on the fish processing as I paid 85 cents a pound at Five Star in January. Apparently it is the same:
http://www.fivestarfishprocessingservices.com/index.php/j-stuff.html

Fisherman's Processing is 95 cents a pound:
http://www.fishermansprocessing.com/services/rates.html

I couldn't find a price for Mario's.
Okay I guess I read it wrong somewhere. So how would it work from getting the fish from the boat to the processing?? Also If I wanted to get it smoked, how would that work out?? Cause I had fresh smoked tuna and man did it taste good.

I ride the Intrepid once a year, always use the loaner gear. Top quality 2 speed reels, very well maintained, great deal.
Any chance do you remeber how much you payed??

Get a 700m for that Sealine could end up being your most used rod for kelp paddy and schoolie tuna
I have a tiburon rated 30-60lb for it and also a 15-30lb for it so lets see what happens. Im going to need to service it if Im planning on using it.

I was thinking if the fish are from 5-20lb I would be using my tranx400 and if the bigger fish appear then my fathom 25 and then 40 if I need to go bigger.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
The processors will meet you at the dock when you arrive. They'll be there when you leave also so you can talk with them or get on the list to get processed when you get back. Five Star used to offer a cash discount for processing, and on the Intrepid sometimes you can find a discount pass laying around.
You're correct on the line for the rental outfits. They'll just charge you for the line, which you may change out a few times on your trip, depending on how much you catch.
Personally I don't think you need to tip at the beginning of the trip.

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Okay I guess I read it wrong somewhere. So how would it work from getting the fish from the boat to the processing?? Also If I wanted to get it smoked, how would that work out?? Cause I had fresh smoked tuna and man did it taste good.
Five Star has met the boat at the landing on every trip I've been on. Fisherman's Processing has always been there too and Marios most of the time. The fish are offloaded into carts and passengers push them from the boat to the top of the dock where they are unloaded and sorted by passengers.

I've only used Five Star but it works like this. Go over to their table and tell them your tag number and how you want your fish processed. They will pick up your fish, weigh and sort them and take them to their facility. I usually pick my fish up a week later but you can make arrangements in advance for same day service. As far as the smoked fish goes, just tell them which ones or how much you want smoked. Smoked was $1.35 a pound based on the whole fish. I usually end up trading any frozen yellowfin for canned Albacore with Fisherman's Landing too. The ratio is horrendous though. IIRC it was 5:1. (5 lbs. of fish for one can).

Reactions: fishgirl and nootz

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I thought they chared for the line at least??? And what are the chances on a 4 day of something bad happening??

Any chance do you remeber how much you payed??

I have a tiburon rated 30-60lb for it and also a 15-30lb for it so lets see what happens. Im going to need to service it if Im planning on using it.

I was thinking if the fish are from 5-20lb I would be using my tranx400 and if the bigger fish appear then my fathom 25 and then 40 if I need to go bigger.
Call the Intrepid office, They will probably be able to answer all YOUR QUESTIONS. I tried helping you out as much as I can, I don't want to get married to this thread. You'll be fine and have a great trip, Your on a nice boat, etc. Best wishes to you.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Five Star has met the boat at the landing on every trip I've been on. Fisherman's Processing has always been there too and Marios most of the time. The fish are offloaded into carts and passengers push them from the boat to the top of the dock where they are unloaded and sorted by passengers.

I've only used Five Star but it works like this. Go over to their table and tell them your tag number and how you want your fish processed. They will pick up your fish, weigh and sort them and take them to their facility. I usually pick my fish up a week later but you can make arrangements in advance for same day service. As far as the smoked fish goes, just tell them which ones or how much you want smoked. Smoked was $1.35 a pound based on the whole fish. I usually end up trading any frozen yellowfin for canned Albacore with Fisherman's Landing too. The ratio is horrendous though. IIRC it was 5:1. (5 lbs. of fish for one can).
You Just Opened Up A New Can Of Worms.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

ninjastar

Feb 10, 2010
Carson,CA
Name
James
Boat
N/A
Call the Intrepid office, They will probably be able to answer all YOUR QUESTIONS. I tried helping you out as much as I can, I don't want to get married to this thread. You'll be fine and have a great trip, Your on a nice boat, etc. Best wishes to you.
Thanks for all your guys help I'm pretty much set on everything, now just to see what happens and hopefully I still remain with in budget lol