July 4 Legal Halibut and Corbina

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by bsp, Jul 4, 2010.

1. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    I was lucky enough to get a PM from my friend Jerry last week to join him on a surf fishing tradition, July 4 4:30am corbina fishing! Our friend Mike, also was going to be joining us along with some of Jerry's friends, so we had a great group of guys. Dad and I knew this was going to be fun, even though getting up insanely early wasn't sounding too appealing. I made some final preparations the night before (ie, get the coffee maker set up) after my graduation party, and finally fell asleep around 1am.

Cell phone goes off, coffee gets made, a few choice words about how early it was, and we were out the door.

WHY?!?!

[​IMG]

We got to the meeting spot, and surprisingly we were the first there. I'm normally the last one, so this was odd. Called Jerry for an update, and he joined us 5 minutes later along with his friend. I feel like a jerk, but I forgot his name (want to say Henry for some reason). Needless to say, really great guy to talk to, and I hope he forgives me for this. He slayed the YFC, perch, and corbina today as well.

After we get our sand crabs, Jerry casts out a BENDO! First cast hook up on the right kind. No pictures but the fish was about 14in. Jerry's friend hooks up a few casts later for his own corbina about the same size. Dang, I need to get on the leader board. Jerry also introduced me to Bill. Very nice guy to talk with, and a good surf fisherman too.

At this point we walk off to meet Mike, Jerry and I catch perch on the way, and once we meet up we go back to where the corbina came from. After some expert corbina tutoring from Jerry, I cast out and get freight trained. Major bendo and some nice runs result in a solid 16in bean hitting the beach. Not a monster by any means, but it's my first corbina of the year!

[​IMG]

I make a few more casts, but am noticing that the trench is starting to look really halibut-y (it's a new word). My hunch is proven when I watch a short come up and attack some bait in front of me. Jerry and his friend have been chucking LCs trying for one, but have only come up with perch. I look at Jerry and say, "I'm thinking drop shot." Jerry looks at the water, looks back at me, and says "There's definitely some halibut here, go for it!"

2nd cast, twitch, twitch, thump. No movement, just a lot of dead weight.... so I hammer the hook home. This fish realizes it doesn't like going closer to the beach, and the back and forth ensues. I'm honestly not sure who was more excited at this point, me or Jerry. I get the fish up to the lip of the trench, Jerry goes for the grab, and it explodes back down. Jerry gets in position with the Lip Gripper again, and once the next wave comes up he grabs it and the fish is beached. Not my PB, but a very solid legal regardless, and my first of the year!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only sad part is that she inhaled the White Ice Zoom Fluke and got the hook through three gills, so she had to come home. Still, not going to complain, halibut is tasty!

I jogged down the beach to show Mike, but I don't think I motivated him like I intended as he had just dropshotted a large area for nothing and tied on a LC.

With a legal halibut on the beach, I decide it's time to head home. Jerry and his friend meanwhile are rapidly switching to dropshotting as my dad and I pack up while talking some more to Bill. Got off the beach around 8:30am to clean the fish.

Better ruler shot and before pic. 25in and 8lbs!

[​IMG]

Big tail.

[​IMG]

After!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot of how deep the Fluke was.

[​IMG]

Halibut have sharp teeth.

[​IMG]

Even the fat cat got a halibut.

[​IMG]

Happy 4th of July everybody!

2. wsbkiller

wsbkiller Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Sometimes
    Nice job gentlemen!

3. atfish

atfish Newbie

Name:
    michael
    Boat:
    none
    I've done the same. seen shorts flipping and chasing bait, throwing and throwing the LC for NOTHING. Switch over to the the drop shot and bang hali time one after the other. NIce job, good eats.

4. Kelpbedhead

Kelpbedhead Hippie Hater

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    20' Baja Bayrunner
    Way to go!

5. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    That's killer catching a legal Hali from the surf!
    I'm confused though. Your title indicates you caught 4 Hali's and your report only mentions the one...:confused:

6. Odasan

Odasan Newbie

Name:
    Mark Oda
    Boat:
    None
    I think it reads July 4(th), Legal halibut and Corbina.

7. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Ahhhhhh I'll buy that....Thanks.......

8. osidefishin

osidefishin big daddy

Name:
    chuck
    Boat:
    18' Klamath cc " Second chance "
    good way to spend the day...

9. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks man! I've seen some of your reports and I still have a way to go before i match those. Need my first legal WSB from the surf for example.

My dad was the pro at dropshotting until he screwed up his arm and had to stop fishing, so recently I've been taking over some of his gear and trying to get better acquainted with it. Like you said, you are missing out on a lot of fish if you don't toss it, so I definitely am going to use it more this year. Delicious fish too!

Thanks!

Sorry about that, should have made it July 4th. My bad. Definitely appreciate the props, and I'm hoping I'll put several more on the sand this year. They're my favorite fish to target from the surf.

Definitely, and there are very few things that are better.

10. lovefofish

lovefofish Peanut Gallery

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    great detailed report man i gotta get on that drop shot.I need a mentor to show me where these pockets and trenches are.

11. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    Definitely try out the dropshot. It is a great technique to build confidence in while fishing for halibut, and you really learn how to read the water if you analyze where you got your hits. As for locating the underwater structure, there are some really great pics here. You might have to make an account to view them, but they are a great resource in addition to the other articles on the site. Highly recommended.

12. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    congrats on the hali my friend

can you post a pic or tell me how do you made this dropshot rig?

I know a normal dropshot rig for chunks of meat for deep fishing, but for surf fishing havent tryed anything like that.

can you tell me wich line, lead weight, hooks, lures, etc you used in this amazing catch?

13. blitzed

blitzed Newbie

Name:
    blitzed
    Boat:
    nope
    hi steelfish, here is an example of how to dropshot rig:
    Dropshot for deep water fish in your kayak

palomar knot if you do not know how to tie it already:
    Palomar Knot

for palomar knots, sometimes I cut a short piece of line...use it to thread mainline through the eye of the hook: insert one end through the hook eye, take other end around mainline, then insert it through the hook eye too...then it is easy to pull the mainline through the hook eye, then you can tie the hook directly on the mainline with a palomar knot.

goodluck!

14. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks man, it definitely was a great 4th of July fish! To elaborate on blitzed's post a bit:

[​IMG]

8 or 10lb fluorocarbon (you can use mono too, but I prefer fluoro), with a 3/8oz or 5/8oz dropshot weight (less if the current/waves are weak, more if they're strong), size 2/0 straight shank Gamakatsu plastic worm hook (bronze finish), and a Zoom Super Fluke in White Ice. I threaded the lure onto the hook with the hook exposed, and you can kind of see that in the photo, like a swimbait. 12-18in leader length. Longer if there's a lot of structure, shorter if there isn't. Just cast it out and reel back in with some pauses and twitches spread throughout the retrieve. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Marc

15. blitzed

blitzed Newbie

Name:
    blitzed
    Boat:
    nope
    bsp: good rigging work:smash: thanks for sharin.

only recently I pulled out my flourocarbon from my tacklebox, in an attempt to make stealthier leaders to target corbina. Berkley Vanish #10, do you have a brand preference?

is your mainline flourocarbon? I've read that people have better hooksets, sinks quick and does not absorb water as mono does.

enjoyya weekend!

16. bsp

bsp Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    None
    blitzed, I like to stick with Seaguar InvisX as my main line. It's pricey, but cheap enough for fluoro that I can swap it out when I need to and not wince (much). If you are feeling flush, check out Toray. Their lines are awesome! My current favorite corbina leader is Bawa Super Finesse in 5lb. $30 a spool, but I only use it for leader so it will last a very long time.

As for Vanish, I personally had horrible experiences with it (lost a ton of nice fish), but that was several years ago so I have no idea what it is like now. I'd go for it as several people I have talked to say it's decent stuff now.

I use fluoro as a mainline on my halibut/bass dropshot set up currently, but I am going to swap it out to leader only soon as I have a spare spool with 20lb braid. That way i can just topshot the fluoro and make it last a lot longer like I do with my other bass, halibut (both braid to fluoro, except for cranking which is mono), and trout/corbina set ups (these are mono with fluoro leaders).

Fluoro is better for saltwater fishing a lot of the time as it sinks quicker, has less stretch, and is more abrasion resistant than mono. In some cases you want more of a high floating bait or lure or more stretch, but most of the time it's a better choice. I still go all mono with a moderate action rod (Phenix X-10 crankbait rod) for tossing hard baits to halibut though as the stretch and moderate action provide a cushion when the fish headshakes.

17. blitzed

blitzed Newbie

Name:
    blitzed
    Boat:
    nope
    thanks bsp! I will definitely slap flourocarbon on one of my spare spools sometime.

I've wanted to try Seaguar for a long time, but it wasn't in stock at the places I checked locally at the time.

thanks again for the tips, take it easy!

18. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks Blitzed and bsp

I'll try that rig on my beach to see how it works