Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
I used the method for the first time today and fuck me running, it's amazing. Seriously... If you are using any other methods to install grips, drop what you are doing and try it. Total handle instillation time: 12minutes including cleanup (and it was my first attempt).

Thank you JT for sharing this technique and thank you Bill for making this instructional video:

Last edited:

David Norton

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2011
Lawrenceburg,TN.
Name
Dave Norton
Boat
Leaky Bathtub
Scold when I used J.T. method on that rail rod I built last month. I almost busted my nose on the floor sliding the butt grip on. It was that slick, thanks Jim and Bill for sharing this technique. I will no longer fight EVA grips:rofl:

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
Scold when I used J.T. method on that rail rod I built last month. I almost busted my nose on the floor sliding the butt grip on. It was that slick, thanks Jim and Bill for sharing this technique. I will no longer fight EVA grips:rofl:
Hahahahahahahaha. Dude... I slid the first grip on and said "oh god damnit..... Why didn't I think of this..." I'm a really big dude so I've never had problems putting grips on before; but the cleanup is so easy! I've put 1/4" ID EVA on a .8" diameter butt with no boiling or anything, just rod bond so my switch wasn't because of issues putting grips on, it was just for ease of setup and cleanup.

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I'm actually a spindly guy, and last year when I built two 40# sticks on Lamiglas composite blanks, it was like a monkey trying to fuck a football to get the butt grips and fore grips installed. I got them on in the end, but talk about sweat and worry...

This year, I'm building a rail rod with advice from David Choate and Bill (Saltydawg), and I used Jim's technique with rubber cement to install the grips. So easy and worry free. First, I followed Bill's advice on his video - no permanent adhesive on the butt grip. It slid into place slickern' deer guts on a doorknob, and is rock solid like he says. Reel seat, lotsa' correct 2-part adhesive with my own special method for rolling on fiberglass sheetrock tape, fully infused with 2-part adhesive, for shims. Effing bombproof. Foregrip, rubber cement as lubricant and U-40 2-part adhesive, perfect, no worries, so easy!

Jim Trelikes - Man, thanks for sharing this techique with all the planet's saltwater anglers, and also the great BD article!

Bill - Excellent YouTube video, man. This took some effort to do, so thank you for taking the time and trouble!

Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Best regards and good fishing,

Doug

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
Said perfectly Doug. I'm weird as I only use two, 1.5" bands of masking tape as my reel seat shims with U40 RodBond. I have NEVER had a reel seat work loose so I think it's a pretty solid method. Thank you so much for sharing this technique JT (and to Bill for making the video). I used to DREAD doing grips just because the cleanup is such a pain in the ass and some of the solvents aren't good on the blanks (even Denatured alcohol makes the super seeker blanks tacky. What the fuck are we supposed to use....mineral spirits?). Using this method negates any issues with solvents affecting the blanks.

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Well, everone , from the beginners, to the Playas, to the FE's all agree that Jim Trelikes's hypalon grip install method is a game changer.

So, I propose that each time you use his method, you put a quarter in a jar, marked "JT's gratitude fund". If anyone does not think this method is worth a quarter per rod, then they need to back up off the crack pipe.

At the end of the year, we assemble all the funds, and wire the money to JT, so he can buy ice cream (for him, and me, since I came up with the idea).

If you think I'm crazy, then homeboy your wrong,
as I told you before, my word is BOND.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
Ice cream and hookers. Spend more on the ice cream though.... It'll make for an interesting party.

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Ice cream and hookers. Spend more on the ice cream though.... It'll make for an interesting party.
So are you saying that you will be joining JT and me?

tsuribakagaijin

Jul 19, 2006
Camarillo, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
Klamath Baja Bayrunner 19
Saltydawg- thanks for putting that video together. I had the general concept down and had used it before but like the bottle you use for the rubber cement and the clamp ideas for sure!! Should get to try those out this winter....

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Yeah amen on that, Phil. I went to the local restaurant supply after seeing Bill's video and bought a six pack of USA made squirt bottles for about $5. Great time saver and mess reducer! Thanks, Bill.

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Hahahahahahahaha. Dude... I slid the first grip on and said "oh god damnit..... Why didn't I think of this..." I'm a really big dude so I've never had problems putting grips on before; but the cleanup is so easy! I've put 1/4" ID EVA on a .8" diameter butt with no boiling or anything, just rod bond so my switch wasn't because of issues putting grips on, it was just for ease of setup and cleanup.
What size cauldron do you recommend for the nonbelievers?

Wasn't there crazy song about boiling cabbage and Hypalon grips?
I saw it on the radio.

Scold, you are my hero.

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
Thanks Scold and Bill for the video. I don't build that many rods, but I also dread installing grips when I do. I will definitely use this method from now on!

Brad

LBJohn

Aug 31, 2019
Long Beach, California
Name
John F
Boat
N/A
I am just getting back into rod building after a long layoff. Messing around with heating the hypalon in hot water, etc. I used the method you passed on for the first time today and it was smooth and easy. Thank a lot!

JTrelikes

Oct 3, 2006
Lakeside, CA
Name
Jim Trelikes
Boat
Bubba Jean 28
I'll have to ask Randy about that next time we chat. My father and I were using it in the early 70's when the first versions of foam (hypalon) grips first arrived. I can still remember how the grips resembled rubber hose material.

I know the method of using rubber cement's origins previous to rod building, and how we adapted it.

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
Ok, I just started my "J.T.'s gratitude fund" jar. Had to ante up 18 quarters to square it up for the year. That might be good enough for a gallon of ice cream...............not sure about the hookers. Payable first of the year. Thanks Jim!!

Saba

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 30, 2006
Millcreek, UT
Name
Charlie
Boat
Hyde drift boat
Sorry if this has already been answered. Does this method also work with the new grip materials like Batson EPDM and Varmac Softgrip?

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Does this method also work with the new grip materials like Batson EPDM and Varmac Softgrip?
Yes it works for both of those Saba.
I love this method but I was lucky enough to find it right when I started building my own rods thanks to this library of tips.

Cleanup tip WD40 removes rubber cement

Reactions: Saba

Saba

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 30, 2006
Millcreek, UT
Name
Charlie
Boat
Hyde drift boat
Yes it works for both of those Saba.
I love this method but I was lucky enough to find it right when I started building my own rods thanks to this library of tips.

Cleanup tip WD40 removes rubber cement
That's great news, thanks!

Good to know about the WD40 trick, too.