The American Tackle Company

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
Guys....I have built several rods blatantly ripping off some of JT's techniques....nowhere near as crisp and clean but my friends were impressed. Thanks JT.

I am trying to use the drywall mesh tape to make the scales for the first time....always used a D thread in the past but this time I want to have the scales as an underwrap on each guide as well and I figured the mesh would save some time.

Are there any tips I should know? I am having trouble getting my A metallic to close up on top of the mesh....it is gapping something crazy.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

buckeye

Almost A Member
Jan 7, 2008
Florida
Name
Bob
Boat
none
I have only done a couple rods using the dry wall tape but I found that I had to do 2 layers when using Metallic A to close all the gaps.

Reactions: Uncle Joe
Upvote 0

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
I use D metallic on the tape. Another tip is to trim all the tag ends off the tape so you only have the boarders, for lack of a better word, on the edges of the tape after you put it on the blank. Compress/wrap the tape as tightly as you can on the blank and don't overlap the tape. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Uncle Joe
Upvote 0

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
Thanks guys.....you still get good texture through 2 layers of A or one D? I was worried it wouldn't show through with the mesh.....it seems quite a bit flatter than the diamonds I have made with D thread

Upvote 0

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
I use D metallic on the tape. Another tip is to trim all the tag ends off the tape so you only have the boarders, for lack of a better word, on the edges of the tape after you put it on the blank. Compress/wrap the tape as tightly as you can on the blank and don't overlap the tape. Hope this helps.

It did help Raptor......I was experimenting last night and it was a lot easier after I cut off all the tag ends from the tape where it was cut. Thank you.

Upvote 0